main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Harry Potter: The Radio Play? The Comic Book? Animated series? Etc?

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by Obi-Ewan, Jun 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obi-Ewan

Obi-Ewan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 24, 2000
    When a new book comes along, it's only natural that the movie business wants to put its stamp on it. While someone like, say, J.R.R. Tolkien wrote his books with no intention of them being filmed, today's authors (or at least their representatives) often immediately go about selling the film rights--its almost an essential part of parketing a new book. Plus, nowadays just about every classic comic book character (especially from Marvel) is being turned into a movie now.

However, it's worth remembering (as I'm sure readers here do) that film is not the only medium available. Before Peter Jackson made his hit Lord of the Rings films; but after Ralph Bakshi's disastrous go at it; there was a BBC Radio adaptation with Ian Holm and Bill Nighy.

What actually got me thinking here was Stephen King. Movies have been made out of his books and short stories for 34 years now, but recently Marvel Comics has started adapting his novels as well. They are currently adapting The Talisman and The Stand, as well as five prequel comics based on the Dark Tower series, which is now getting on to adapting the series itself. 'Salem's Lot was also turned into a BBC Radio play.

King and Rowling are mutual admiriers, and have even included references to each other's work, so I wondered if Rowling would ever consider allowing for other adaptations of Harry Potter. In particular, a comic series along the lines of The Dark Tower, or maybe even a Manga. Would anyone here object? Would it be overexposure, or just exploring another way to tell the story?

Would a radio play leave too much to the imagination? Is radio even a medium that could be used that way anymore? What about an animated series; would that take away from the realism of a live-action film series?

Edit: There's also the fact that HP has been turned into a theme park attraction.

2. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I kind of like the idea of seeing Harry Potter in a different medium, but I'm highly sceptical. With the films still being released it wouldn't be right to do a series based on the books. If we want something to watch then we've got the films. It would also be weird to see someone else playing the characters. Similarly with a radio play, there are already the audio books to listen to. How would a radio play be different to that? While I really want more Harry Potter I also don't want it at the same time. For me it would have to be written by JK Rowling (who's said she won't write more books) and it would have to bring something new to the series. I can easily see a TV series expanding on life at Hogwarts, but without the cast from the films I don't think it'd work, and they're kind of too old to play the characters at the beginning or the series now. Maybe it could be life after the series, that might work, I guess.

3. Obi-Ewan

Obi-Ewan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 24, 2000
    I kind of like the idea of seeing Harry Potter in a different medium, but I'm highly sceptical. With the films still being released it wouldn't be right to do a series based on the books.

Maybe not right now, but eventually, why not?

If we want something to watch then we've got the films. It would also be weird to see someone else playing the characters.

That may be true for another set of live-action films, but animation or radio? We've already had Harris replaced by Gambon. Animation or a comic book would simply have new looks for the characters, but not based around any particular actor.

Similarly with a radio play, there are already the audio books to listen to. How would a radio play be different to that?

LOTR has both, you can compare.

While I really want more Harry Potter I also don't want it at the same time.

Not much chance of it all happening at once; nobody wants to be seen as simply riding on the movies' coattails.

For me it would have to be written by JK Rowling (who's said she won't write more books) and it would have to bring something new to the series. I can easily see a TV series expanding on life at Hogwarts, but without the cast from the films I don't think it'd work, and they're kind of too old to play the characters at the beginning or the series now. Maybe it could be life after the series, that might work, I guess.

This keeps bringing me back to the comic book. It would be a new visual interpretation, which if it's different enough from the films would be something new all by itself. And while I have often defended the changes the films have made to the story, other mediums might allow for a longer story and thus follow the books that much more closely. And while I don't see Rowling writing another seven-book saga all devoted to the founding of the school, or James Potter's years at the school, you could certainly include stories about them. (I think she has written one about James and Sirius.) The only problem, of course, is that she has said that everything she wanted us to know about the past, has already been revealed during the series. But, maybe like Luas and King, she could be persuaded to let someone else haev a speculative go at it.

4. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    A comic book or graphic novel would be interesting, but it's not my medium of choice, and I think an animated series would be kinda weird and a bit redundant after the movies (though they are turning Avatar: The Last Airbender into a movie . . .).

5. XCell

XCell Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 7, 2004
    I wish animation was being used more. Why do book adaptions always seem to be live-action with CGI?

Not sure I see a Harry Potter animated series, and a manga seems like overkill, but they have made a Twilight graphic novel.. For HP, maybe more a series taking place at Hogwarts/the wizarding world would be best.

Probably the same with LOTR, and some familar characters could appear, but it's mostly new adventures. A LOTR animated show sounds very cool, but it also sounds intimidating for those making it. I think it would have to have more care and respect than something like an X-Men, or even Star Wars cartoon.

6. PirateofRohan

PirateofRohan Jedi Master star 3

Dec 11, 2009
    You can find two audio dramas about HP here. It is pretty good, though the acting is a bit stiff at times.

7. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I've been thinking about this, and I think they'd probably wait a while to do any sort of animated series or something, especially with the movies still coming out. And I wonder how much interest they would get, to convert a ook to a movie to a TV series, since everyone remembers the movies so well (and since the TV-to-movie ATLA isn't doing well . . . ).

There are also HP games, both board games and otherwise. I know there are RPGs. Plus, there's the JC House Cup game here, which is currently looking for players (not-so-subtle hint ;) ).

8. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Personally, I love the idea of a Harry Potter Radio Play. The original Star Wars trilogy, and Lord of the Rings were adapted for radio in the 80s and they worked incredibly well.

9. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    I'd be for a comic set in the Harry Potter universe that explores the original Hogwarts founders, the first Order of the Phoenix, the rise of Voldemort and/or the adventures of the Maruaders. But Harry's story is done. There is no need for that to hit comic form.

10. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Harry Potter the Musical. Idina Menzel would make an AWESOME Bellatrix LeStrange.

11. PirateofRohan

PirateofRohan Jedi Master star 3

Dec 11, 2009
    Is my last post invisible?

12. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    Nope, not invisible, just vaguely disturbing in imagery.:p

I would love a radio play. It's a tried and true method for other works that have made as much or more impact than Harry Potter, and if it were given the attention it deserves, then it could be fantastic.

Not really a fan of the animated series idea, especially not in the near future. Maybe after the movies have been finished for six or seven years, but not before then.

As for a graphic novel (series!) the idea really appeals to me. It couldn't be manga , though...that'd just be odd. But a regular graphic novel story starring any of the ideas mentioned before by yodaminch sound fine to me. I'd also like to add another suggestion: have it take place during the books but have it focus on minor characters. How was Cedric Diggory dealing with the Triwizard Tournament, for example? There are certainly plenty of things that can be elaborated on between the death of Harry's parents and the first book, notably the hiding of Voldemort, the corruption of Quirrel, the wizarding world in the aftermath, certainly the goings on of the Ministry of Magic. We could explore the tales of Lupin, which are sure to be interesting, not to mention the tales of Death Eaters after Voldemort's fall from power, such as Lucius Malfoy and Karkaroff. Charlie and Bill Weaseley's years at Hogwarts could be expanded upon...life at the other two major wizarding schools, even stories centered around a Quidditch team! There are so many unexplored areas that we can learn about without making changes to the backstory, that people want to know anyway. The only thing I'd steer clear of is showing Azkaban. I feel that that really should be specifically left to the imagination, as the accounts of people who've been there in the books (which can be expanded upon in graphic novel format IF they don't actually show it) are far more terrifying that any image that can be drawn.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.