main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion [Harry Potter] The Wizarding World- We solemnly swear we're up to no good!

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by LilyHobbitJedi, Aug 11, 2008.

1. SilSolo

SilSolo Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2004
    question: does anybody know any good OC HP fics that feature the wizarding world in places not featured in the books, like Africa, China, or maybe Ancient Rome or Greece? I see alot of fics featuring the canon characters and OC's from the modern, western world, but haven't seen any that spotlight the other places and times that we all know exist.

2. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    I haven't found any. Those would be great though!

3. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Something like that would be really cool!! (And is giving me plot bunnies 8-} ) But unfortunately, no.

4. Alethia

Alethia Jedi Master star 5

Feb 13, 2005
    I know I've run across fics like that here and there, but none truly stand out. Have you tried Fiction Alley? They might have more of an idea.

When did you first discover HP?
    Well, I heard about it when it was released in the states and all my friends were reading it. But I refused to read it until my step-grandfather gave me it when we were visiting him in Germany and it was the only English book I had with that I hadn't read yet.

Have you written HP fanfic?
    Yep.

Who is your favorite character?
    I don't have a favorite. I like Harry, Hermione, Luna, Lily, James- I find Tom Riddle pretty fascinating. But while I have characters I dislike, I don't have one I prefer over the others.

What are your favorite 'ships'?
    Harry/Hermione, Hermione/Tom, Lily/James. I will read nearly everything except slash and Harry/Ginny and Ron/Hermione.

Have you ever been to a midnight release party?
    When COS came out, I was in boarding school and a group of us went together. 'Twas cool.

Now that the series is over, what are you happy about or regret about the conclusion?
    Hate, hate, HATE it. I felt that Rowling completely changed characterization around in the seventh book and she wrote it more for the fans than herself. I also felt the Epilogue was completely worthless. She should have just ended it after the Battle.

5. SilSolo

SilSolo Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2004
    I guess it might be up to me to try and write a few vigs to give a glimpse at the evolution of magic over the ages, from the Greek and Egyptian style of wordless potions to the spells that the Romans bound to the spoken word. And then there's the witch hunts that started the hatred and fueled the ideas of pureblood supremacy in Europe while the wizards regarded muggles as their equals in the peaceful Chinese Empire. And then there's the African community that sent Dean's dad to Europe as reinforcements against Voldemort.

but this is fighting with my other bunnies, like one about a group of Chinese wizards bent on taking over every muggle government and getting help from a certain Malfoy girl who's jealous of Scorpius for inheriting the family fortunes..

6. Alley_Skywalker

Alley_Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 27, 2005
    Oh?a long time ago. I think the series had recently become pretty popular in the US?the fourth book wasn?t out yet, I remember that.

Yes. One. Ron/Draco?so I couldn?t post it here.

Oh?*blushes*?Draco Malfoy, probably.
    I like Ron, too. Fred and George are funny. Snape is growing on me in strange ways. And?I love the way Antonin Dolohov is portrayed in a certain multi-series fanfic.

Het: Ron/Hermione, Antonin/Bellatrix
    Slash: Antonin/Lucius, Ron/Draco Severus/Draco, Severus/James
    I?ll dabble in other parings for fun but those are the ones that seem to interest me most :)

No, I was never THAT much to the serious until toward the end of the 6th book and by that time the 7th book had come ou already.

Now that the series is over, what are you happy about or regret about the conclusion?
    I kinda spoiled myself but I havn?t actually finished reading the 7th book yet (I know, taking me long enough) so can?t quite say yet.

7. Obi-Gon_Skywalker

Obi-Gon_Skywalker Jedi Knight star 1

May 25, 2008
    I think when I was 7 and my mom insisted on reading them to my brother and me.

No

Narcissa Malfoy, I think there's so much more to her than just "Draco's mother" or "Lucius' wife." I mean, she lied to Voldemort so that she could find out whether her son was all right. Sure, I guess she's fickle when it comes to choosing sides in a war, but at least she's loyal to her family! :D

Narcissa/Lucius, Harry/Ginny, Ron/Hermione

No

I regret that the conclusion wasn't that detailed. I would have loved to find out about what happened to all the characters during the time between Harry's victory and dropping off his kids at Hogwarts. I'd like to read about Harry and Ginny's and Ron and Hermione's weddings. And who Draco married!...Anyway, I'm ranting right now because I feel J.K.R. could have written a whole 'nother series on the aftermath of the battle at Hogwarts.

8. Kriztin

Kriztin Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 4, 2009

Several years ago, I think, right after OotP came out. I'd previously just dismissed them as kid's books, but several of my SW friends were also big HP fans and they talked about the books enough that I finally got curious enough to try them out. I read the first five books in a week and was hooked!

Have you ever written HP fanfic?

Oh, yes. I've got one novel-length story that's still going strong, another that's fairly long (but I've put that one on hiatus because I realized that I simply don't have the time to work on two big projects at once), and several completed short stories. I'm quite wordy, lol!

Harry, definitely. I love Ron and Hermione and the other Weasleys, too, and Snape...though I do have to say that I have mixed feelings about canon Snape, but I love his potential.

What are your favorite ships?

The canon ones, I suppose. I write gen fic and am not very interested in writing romance.

Yes, my whole family went to the HBP midnight release, and it was such fun. Before that, I wasn't into the fandom. I think I'll always regret not going to the DH one, but we were on vacation and my husband and kids weren't thrilled at the idea of going to that one. We left for home the very morning after the midnight release though, and I insisted on stopping at the bookstore to buy DH to read on the way home.

I had said before DH came out that I would be happy if the Trio and Ginny survived, so I was content. I did tear up at some of the deaths...Dobby's hit me especially hard for some reason, but I understand why Jo Rowling had them die. I know some fans were unhappy because they felt that there were some loose ends that hadn't been tied up, but I actually kind of like it that way. It gives fanfic writers more room to experiment and play!

9. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005

First became aware of HP right in the middle of Animorphs due to nephew who left book at our house. Didn't start to read 'em for a while because "I'm in the middle of one series already, not starting a new one!" Mom spent an entire night on the couch reading Sorcerer's Stone and came away from it saying I'd like it. And that, there, was how I first discovered the wonderful world of HP.

Nope.

Um... I read the fanfic before I read the books, so... hard to answer that one.

Ron/Hermione, Harry/Ginny

Sadly, no.

Yes. Was satisfied with conclusion.

10. Obi-Gon_Skywalker

May 25, 2008
    I'm surprised! With Half Blood Prince coming out to theaters, I expected this thread to be extremely popular...So who's excited? [face_dancing]

11. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    I can't wait for the film to be released. :p Here, they're really starting to show advertisements on TV again for it. It looks to be amazing.

12. Obi-Gon_Skywalker

May 25, 2008
    I'm extremely excited too! I hope they don't make a mess of the movie like they did with OotP. I already don't approve of their choice for Narcissa Malfoy...I'm sorry, but she doesn't have half black hair and half blonde hair like a recently released picture I saw of her did. She's a wizard, not half-skunk...:mad:

13. LilyHobbitJedi

LilyHobbitJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 29, 2005
    I'm so excited for HBP, though it drives me nuts when they have tv spots becvause everytime it makes me even more anxious for the movie.

14. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    Anyone see the new film yet? I got lucky enough to see it opening day for the first show in the afternoon. Over all, I simply loved it from start to finish. I was disappointed not everything could be covered in the film that was in the book, but I loved the film for what it was. The kids were all wonderful in this film. The ending left me crying and I'm not one to cry while watching films usually. :p I cannot wait to see it again. It's already given me inspiration for a one-shot to write.

15. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    I really enjoyed it. I disliked how anticlimatic the ending was, though, and had a REAL big beef with the fact that Dumbledore and Harry apparate out of Hogwarts. The writer even addressed this in the script, which I do appreciate, BUT STILL and Narcissa's hair, but overall, I think it was fantastic. Draco really carried the film for me; he did such a great job.

16. darth_nemisis

darth_nemisis Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 2004
    So, I just finished the 6th and 7th book for the second time and am really interested in writing a fan fic about it. Saw this thread when I came in here and thought I would post:

I believe it was 5th grade, 1999. I can remember reading it and falling in love with it.

Nope, not yet. I am in the process of writing one now though. If I ever post/finish it remains to be seen.

This is tough. Dumbledore is up there. I love his personality and his power. Tom Riddle is also a character I am very interested in.

N/A

Yes, both for the 7th book and for the most recent movie.

I liked the ending. I was sad at some of the characters who died. But I like how Rowling was not afraid to kill off some characters.

17. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I'm loving all of the JC House Cup fics going in here!! :D Let's get this thread going again - keep some creative juices flowing between now and the next game :D

18. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    I can honestly say that playing the JC House Cup has gotten me hooked on HP fanfic. Before, I was kind of "meh" and Star Wars was really the only thing I wrote for, but now I have tons and tons of plot bunnies for a completely different fandom. I think I'll probably end up dividing my fanfic time half and half between SW and HP as my main fanfic fandoms from now on, with bits of randoms in-between. :)

19. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Awesome! I love hearing that :D

20. Jedi-Ant

Jedi-Ant Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2007
    Same. :D Before the HC, I really enjoyed reading HP fanfic, but could never seem to write any myself. Then I signed up for Team Slytherin on a whim one day, and when I read the rules, I stressed because I didn't think I'd reach the 65 points limit and get game banned. :p

....8,000 points later... 8-}

So yeah, I can definitely write HP fanfic and I think that'll be all I'll write for some time now. It's awesome. :D

Ant.

21. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Ant, your and Idri's fics for the House Cup were absolutely FANTASTIC. :D But I think if I had to choose the best from each of you, then I guess it would be "Witches Bewitched" from Idri and "Harry Potter and the Zombies" from you. I do hope you'll finish it here - the characterisations are absolutely spot-on, even though we haven't actually seen the characters beyond the end of their seventh year (the epilogue doesn't count, it's basically a snapshot), but they still feel like they will behave like that. And I'm so anxious to see how it all ends! :D

22. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    "Harry Potter and Zombies" is definitely a riot. Who knew the HP fandom would be such a great venue for classic horror? [face_laugh]

I'm thrilled that "Witches Bewitched" is your favourite, Mar, 'cause it's my fav, too. :D The opening line just sucked me into a hilarious time of writing all of it. :p 8-}

HP fanfic is snazzy. :cool: [face_peace]

23. Jedi-Ant

Jedi-Ant Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2007
    Thanks, Mar [:D] :D Yes, I do plan on getting 'Harry Potter and the Zombies' finished. I haven't posted the five chapters yet because I wanted to get the rest of it written down (at least in point form so I know where I'm going). I'll probably get it done this week, actually, since I'm still fully in HP mode right now. ;)

EDIT: And thanks, Idri!! [:D] I had my reply window open for so long that I missed you'd replied as well. :p

24. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Awesome!! I'm glad you guys are so into it - you all posted some great fics :D

25. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    Because I couldn't resist... :p

[image=http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a134/Idrelle_Miocovani/Potterspam.jpg]