main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Ark Harry Potter thread--Check out VoldemortsVault.com!!!

Discussion in 'MidSouth Regional Discussion' started by otisdodge, Jun 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RedHanded_Jill

RedHanded_Jill Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    since i cant stand the black out i will just discuss it with josh. it's hard enough to make a capital letter. ironic from an english teacher, huh?

2. otisdodge

otisdodge Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2004
    I meant that I don't think that Ginny should stand for this Peter Parker and MJ crap and should tell Harry that she is willing to risk as much as himself or Ron and Hermione--he needs all the support he can get.

3. hyperspace_police

hyperspace_police Jedi Master star 4

Jun 22, 2005
    This is my computer illiteracy (sp??) showing itself here, but how do you black something out???
    Somebody educate me...
    Thanks
    Bacon

4. Jedi_Master_Vader

Jedi_Master_Vader Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 27, 2003
    When you reply to something, you have the options of color, highlight, faces, etc....right above the area where you type.

click on highlight and choose black, you will have something that looks like this,type here/hl], type inbetween the first word and the second, i took off one of the brackets on the second word so everything would show up normally

and it doesnt say type here i just added that to help ya out there

5. otisdodge

Sep 21, 2004
    Awww, come on. [face_praying]

6. otisdodge

Sep 21, 2004
    I just saw the new trailer for Harry Potter today. What do y'all think? If you haven't seen it yet, go to www.gobletoffire.com
    I think parts of it look awesome, but there is noooo way this film can live up to my expectations. Firstly, I think it should have been two films or one super-long one with an intermission. The book is just too big and too good.
    I am not sure I like that they made Durmstrang and Beauxbatons boys and girls only, respectively. I am disappointed that Dumbledore mispronounces Beauxbatons. I think Moody's eye stinks--it seems too mechanical--it's magic, HELLO! I also don't like Sirius in the fire--not at all how I imagined it. I am quite pleased with the overall look. Hair, Hermione, new girls...
    What is with the skeleton thing at the end?
    Voldemort looks BAAAAAAADDD. [EYES POPPING OUT--GOOD JOB]. I just realized the snake was Nagini. Duh.

7. hyperspace_police

Jun 22, 2005
    Dodge,
    Have seen the trailer 2 or 3 times now, (you know me, my movie habit is worse than some people with nicotine addictions...) I enjoyed the trailer, but think you are probably correct about them having to chainsaw the book down into 2 and half hours or so....I cringe when I think of what they will do to the Order of the Phoenix (I probably misspelled that...sorry..)
    Anyway, is the skeleton at the end a bony Voldemort before they put him in the cauldron??? And I agree that while Sirius head in the coals and embers is interesting, I had a picture in my mind of his disembodied head kind of floating in the flame part, otherwise, how will Umbridge reach in and try and grab it in the next book? I'll see it, of course, and more than likely will enjoy it. But, will probably be a little irritated about the parts they cut out. I've already heard they cut the Dursley's, that is just something I read on Mugglenet, but it is too big of a book to be cut down to one movie that is not at least 3 hours....
    But I did like the trailer....

8. Jedi_Master_Vader

Aug 27, 2003
    The trailer is great, I wish it could be like LOTR, theater is 3 hours and then have an extended edition. I agree about Moody, he doesnt look anything like a magical eye and he isnt even close to the illustration of him at the top of the chapter in the book.

Personally I thought Hermione was the best part of it.....;)

9. otisdodge

Sep 21, 2004
    So I just read 6 again and I've found a loophole I didn't previously see for Snape. I've always hated Snape and am not sure I want him to be good or redeemable or anything, but there seem to be a lot of people out there who think he is still a good guy or that he will eventually help Harry defeat the Dark Lord. Anyway, when I was listening this time for any evidence either way, especially when Bella and Draco's Mom go to visit Snape and every time Snape interacts with Draco, Harry or Dumbledore in the book.
    When Mrs. Malfoy asks Snape for help, he claims he knows what is going on, but he never says what is going on. None of them do. He could have been bluffing. He sounds like he knows, "I think he intends for me to do it in the end." But he doesn't actually say it and he may not have had any idea, and either way, he may have felt like he had to make the unbreakable vow to keep his cover.
    Then, on the tower, when he finally finds out what Malfoy is really supposed to be doing (whether he knew in the first place or not), he has to do it. He's there and Malfoy is apparently unable to do it and all the death eaters are there, but most of all, he is bound by the magic of the [/i]unbreakable vow[/i] to do it.

What do y'all think?

10. hyperspace_police

Jun 22, 2005
    Well, I think that is an interesting point.

It seems that Dumbledore was almost asking Snape to do it...Maybe?

Perhaps it goes back to the whole:

"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful..." kind of stuff???

Unfortunately, we have to wait for Book 7....We'll probably get C4 before that...???

And to add another note: HP and the Goblet of Fire is playing at the dollar theatre.....

Bacon

11. otisdodge

Sep 21, 2004
    No, I really don't think Dumbledore was asking him to do it. Ask your number one to commit murder? I think not. He wanted Snape to cure him and save him and save Malfoy and Harry... Or to find some way around it and still be the spy--but not kill him. I can't believe that. I think Albus was as surprised as anyone.

Dumbledore, I'm sure, wanted to help Harry more.

12. otisdodge

Sep 21, 2004
    ...in other news:

Oldman wasn't in the cast list when shooting for 5 began...

But producer David Heyman insists there is plenty of time for Oldman to sign up: "We're not shooting his part for quite a while, and as is always the case, you begin with the parts that are most pressing.

"We have every intention of having Gary Oldman play Sirius Black."

http://breakingnews.iol.ie/entertainment/story.asp?j=172883162&p=y7z883868

13. Jedi_Master_Vader

Aug 27, 2003
    Yeah thats crap, there is no point in changing Sirius for OotP, plus Oldman has done a good job IMO.

I still believe Harry will die so that Voldemort will die and Dumbledore isnt dead. (Im more convinced on the first one though than the later)

14. otisdodge

Sep 21, 2004
    Of course he's doing a good job. He's a fenomenal actor and does a good job in everything he does. The question is whether he wants to come back and whether or not they can pay him enough.

None of that makes sense to me. It has said many times in the books that there is no way to come back from the dead. Dumbledore was always more of the JM Barry kinda mind-set, "Death is but the next great adventure". Now I do believe there may be some communication with some form of Dumbledore being. I think he may have turned into a Blue Phoenix. I also think his portrait could be a wealth of information--which is why I think Harry should come back to Hogwarts--I think he should befriend Minerva and join the order of the Phoenix and use Hogwarts as home base where he will have access to many of the order and Dumbledore's portrait.
    I don't understand why Harry would die. It doesn't fit the Hero paradigm that Rowling follows like Lucas. I think that Snape may pull a Vader and show his good colors in the end and die for the right to help take Voldemort down.

15. hyperspace_police

Jun 22, 2005
    Interesting thought about Snape pulling a Vader.

Think the portrait thing is the way to go with thinking...

Could Dumbledore choose not to move on like Nearly Headless Nick?

It's a thought????

Don't know but I really like speculating...It passes the time and different opinions fascinate me.

[face_pig]

Oh, and maybe Oldman wanted to do more than show up with his face in a bunch of coals
    in a fireplace????

Who knows, with the way they butcher the books when they shrink them down to 2 and a half hours...a la Lucas....
    They may have cut him out completely...

16. otisdodge

Sep 21, 2004
    No, he plays a central role in 5. They won't have cut him out--and the producer said so in the article I posted, and in other articles like it...

17. VADER312

VADER312 Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 11, 2005
    [face_pumpkin] I LIKE STAR WARS

18. otisdodge

Sep 21, 2004
    Well then budge out of the Harry Potter thread. [face_beatup]

19. VADER312

VADER312 Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 11, 2005
    SORRY BROTHER, DIDN'T MEAN TO WOUND THE OL' INNER CHILD. JUST AN EXCUSE TO USE THE SHINNY JACK O' LANTERN ICON. THE HUNT FOR YOUR TROOPERS CONTINUES. MAY THE FORCE BE WITH US.

20. otisdodge

Sep 21, 2004
    No, he's too brave for that. Nick said himself that ghosts are basically cowards who don't want to face the next life.

But, as a phoenix Dumbledore could still do some good...

21. hyperspace_police

Jun 22, 2005
    OK, Rowling just announced that she's killing three more characters....and Harry could probably be one of them.

So, who do you think she's going to kill?

I think Harry and Voldemort, and possibly Ron or Lupin for the third, but I really don't have a clue...just thought it would make for some good discussion.

22. otisdodge

Sep 21, 2004
    I just hope she doesn't kill any of the kids, but I guess I am just a Sap. I want Harry to Kill Voldemort and maybe Snape and live happily ever after with Ginny and for Ron and Hermy to get together and Hermy can become Ministress of Magic someday and Harry can teach DADA at Hogwarts until McG dies and then become Headmaster.

23. hyperspace_police

Jun 22, 2005
    Yes, but the odds of JK Rowling NOT killing off one of the kids (since she said she was killing off major characters) is aprox. 3,720 to 1.

I don't want to see her kill any of them off, but if I were Ron or Hermy....I'd be very worried.

[face_thinking]

24. otisdodge

Sep 21, 2004
    Likely candidates for dying in the next book:
    Voldemort
    Snape
    Harry
    Lupin
    McG
    Hagrid
    Ron
    Hermione
    Ginny or another Weasley
    Wormtail
    Malfoy or Malfoy

I sort of fancy a redemptive sacrifice on the part of Snape, Wormtail or Draco Malfoy.

She didn't say how important the character was, did she? I think any of these could be considered part of her 3...

25. RedHanded_Jill

RedHanded_Jill Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    if she follows true archetype form, harry should die. once he kills voldemort his job is done. i dont think she will because the public doesnt want to see that stuff anymore. we want the hero to live and be king and have lots of babies and etc. when in reality if you look at heroes they dont really do any of those things. what hero lived to rule? or procreate? they usually dont because of the very nature of the hero. they are special. they dont get to have humdrum dreary everyday lives like the rest of us.

dumbledore is gone for good. has to be. unless there is something more that he has to teach harry.
    snape has to die. he is the sacrifice, the evil turned good guy who sacrifices himself in the end to redeem his behavior. sound familiar?
    hagrid, maybe. he plays no role in any future. unless he represents that average guy.

i hope that twerp, harry's nemesis, whatshisname? gets it. i cant stand that guy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.