main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Harry Potter Wand Duel Sound Effects Test

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Dr-Carnivora, Sep 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr-Carnivora

Dr-Carnivora Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 4, 2005
    Hey, I was able to get my hands on some wand duel sound effects so I tested them on our first wand duel. Check it out and let me know what you think.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgI5B242EYY
    It's only two of the most battle heavy scenes of the short film.

2. Kaat

Kaat Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 5, 2004
    Pretty impressive, also on the visual side. Might I ask how you achieved the sorta rune-like look of the spells, like in the movies? It looks like some sort of particle work to me.

3. Vidina

Vidina Jedi Master star 4

Jan 11, 2006
    If I'm not mistaken, I believe it was BenMcEwan that did the effects.

4. elemental_fantasy

elemental_fantasy Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 6, 2006
    ****.......[face_worried] I had my premixed library erased when I lost my hard drive.
    I'll link today, I am currently redoing the SFX.

As far as effects, it was Ben, and as far as the current sfx, it's basically the same sound effect over and over and over, it becomes very redundant. Even manipulating that sound wouldn't work for more then 3 times spaced apart. As I said, I am mixing down sound effects now,

the problem I have is my sound. When I moved recently, And hooked my computer up, I noticed that almost all the bass in my computer is gone, only treble.

It's not the speakers! I dont know... I have searched EVERYWHERE.... with no luck, perhaps I need a new sound card? I dont think I am missing a driver for the sound, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

5. Ben_McEwan

Ben_McEwan Jedi Youngling

Sep 24, 2009
    So I think the "Forgot your password" thing here is broken. I've been waiting for that email for a while. Just gave in and made a new account.

Yes, those effects were done my me Kaat. Surprisingly, no particles were used. I really can't remember how they were done either, but for Dr_Carnivora's latest wand duel, they'll look 1000 times better!

6. ktulu216

ktulu216 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 16, 2005
    I had always guessed those effects where fractal noise layers with some creative masking?

7. Kaat

Kaat Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 5, 2004
    Yeah. It looks a lot like that. It's really pretty cool... very effective, selling the effect very well.

8. backdeskproductions

backdeskproductions Jedi Master star 3

Aug 17, 2007
    and like sounds edited on most macs, I've noticed a lot of distortion on certain sound effects. Make sure when editing that the sounds hit at 0 but ONLY if you need some distortion will you go over. But don't peak it. You can normalize peak levels to 0 and dont go over. Gotta make it as clean as possible.

9. fjrsm

fjrsm Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 25, 2007
    I love the visual effect at 00.04, as simple as it is, I really like the "energy accumulating" thing =)

As for the sound effects, I like them, but it seems as you have very little sound effects and it gets a bit repetitive... but I like what you have so far, keep it up.

10. Dr-Carnivora

Jun 4, 2005
    I'm embarrassed to admit that I just discovered how to change the pitch of a sound today. :p

11. dan-yoda

dan-yoda Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 14, 2003
    It's okay. And now you know.

Great video, btw. The sound effects might be a bit repetitive if you're paying attention to it but they still sound crisp and movie accurate. Great effects, too.

12. Dr-Carnivora

Jun 4, 2005
    All thanks to Ben!

13. fjrsm

fjrsm Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 25, 2007
    Speaking of VFX, I just liked to know what you guys think of this. I know the smoke needs color tweaking, but I really wanted to do a quick test of a harry potter... thing.. being shot at a wall.

14. backdeskproductions

backdeskproductions Jedi Master star 3

Aug 17, 2007
    Isn't it great! I was near nervous breakdown trying to figure out how to get a dopplar effect once.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.