main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Oceania Harry Potter :: Your reaction

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Silmarillion, Nov 29, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Silmarillion

Silmarillion Manager Emerita/Ex RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 1999
    I went and saw it last night and thought it was amazing. Hermione was absoluely brilliant, but the best bit was undoubtably the Star Wars Forbidden Love Trailer that was attached it!

So, have you seen it? What did you think?

Please mark all movie spoilers with enough spoiler space.

2. Ghost_of_Caesar

Ghost_of_Caesar Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    No point in putting plot spoilers, because the movie follows the book closely enough that if read the book, you know precisely what's going to happen. Some minor details are left out, but that's no big deal.

FWIW, Harry Potter is easily the best adaptation of a novel I have ever seen. The trailers were an excellent bonus - even the Monsters Inc. one, which managed to promote both Star Wars and Harry Potter in one go.

3. Yarua Of Kashyyyk

Yarua Of Kashyyyk Jedi Padawan star 4

May 1, 2000
    I absolutely, positively loved it. :)

I went in with absolutely no expectations and came out extremely pleased: I've never been to something that fun for quite a while. Plus, it's got me even MORE enthused and excited (if that's possible) about AOTC.

I haven't read any of the books, so I can't really comment on the transition from page to screen, but I was able to follow what was going on with ease.

I also enjoyed the Monsters Inc 'Charades' trailer; I am definitely going to be seeing that one too. :)

4. Sith-Gecko

Sith-Gecko Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 26, 2001
    It was ok; haven't read the books though (Please don't hurt me! I have too many others to read!).

But the highlight definitely was the Forbidden Love trailer. WOW! :D

5. wedge3210

wedge3210 Jedi Master star 5

Jun 7, 1999
    I haven't read the books either but took my sisters last night to see it. It wasn't too bad but the kids just loved it cause of the hype I think. The little girl was very good. But Harry annoyed the tripe out of me no end.

Apparently 90 minutes was cut from the movie though. What the? Maybe there is a case for a 150 minute Star Wars now. The trailer attached was good but the "Grown more beautiful" line is still as tacky on the big screen. I won't go into spoilers but I'm betting the TPM bashers are having a field day with it.

It offended my high moral and Christian standards throughout too.

;)

6. TheOzhaggis

TheOzhaggis Jedi Master star 5

Nov 1, 2000

No need to worry about spoilers?

Not everyone has read the bloody books!

:p

7. Shara_82

Shara_82 Administrator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 10, 2001
    I loved it.

The Quidditch sequence was incredible - while some of the animation was obviously...well...animated, on the whole, it looked amazing.

The acting was brilliant, especially IMHO from Hermione and Hagrid. How they managed to get performances like they did from children is beyond me.

The special effects, especially on Fluffy, were pretty cool. I liked the simplicity of the feather trick, though.

Most importantly, they were completely faithful to the book. While I wish they'd added a couple of lines by Dumbledore to show that other facet of him, on the whole I was really pleased with it.

8. The_Barman

The_Barman Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 25, 2001
    GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD
    Sorry I just saw it and it is GOOD!
    Fluffy was wonderfully done.
    I am annoyed that they didn't have peeves in it but john cleese made up for it as nearing headless nick

9. maestrino

maestrino Jedi Master star 4

Feb 12, 2000
    Yoiks. Well, I really didn't like it, but I've whinged about it enough in the thread in NSW so I won't do the same thing here! ;)

10. Humble extra

Humble extra Jedi Youngling star 5

Jun 12, 1999
    i'm going ot wait a day or two so the school kid crowd die down a little

11. Sith Magician

Sith Magician Jedi Master star 5

Sep 14, 1999
    Thats 2 hours of my life I ain't ever getting back....

12. Sith-Gecko

Sith-Gecko Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 26, 2001
    LOTR is gonna be a whole lot better, isn't it?

*kicks ppl* Well!? ISN'T IT!?!

13. Sith Magician

Sith Magician Jedi Master star 5

Sep 14, 1999
    *Smiles, nods, covers groin*

:_|

14. Crimson-Larko

Crimson-Larko Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 14, 2001
    LotR's gonna rock!

As for Harry Potter, I might see it, but only for the Forbidden Love trailer ;).

15. Kahlan72

Kahlan72 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 27, 2000
    I was a tiny bit disappointed. I haven't made my way all the way throught the first book yet but the characters seemed spot on. I enjoyed it, but it was a very KIDS movie. fortunately I like kids movies :)
    Overall pretty good. Better than some other films I've paid money for this year

16. Teknobabel

Teknobabel Jedi Master star 5

Jun 4, 2000
    Go see the film for the scooby doo trailer, as well as the monsters inc trailer.

The film only rates a view cos of coltrane and that fat guy from pie in the sky
    but thats just me

17. Crimson-Larko

Crimson-Larko Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 14, 2001
    coltraine would be the only reason why i'd go besides the FL Trailer.

He's an excelent actor.

18. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    Saw the movie today. I thought it was excellent.

If anyone ever does a movie of Stephen Donaldson's 'Mordant's Need' series, I think they will have to hire the same director/producer as Harry Potter.

It just had a great feel about it, although some of the CGI characters looked dodgy.

I would definitely see it again.

19. mutley

mutley Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 1998
    Saw the movie today(Sun) have not read the books.

No spoilers as such..

Went along with an open mind just to have a bit of fun. The effects in some areas could have been better. It is a kids movie, it requires a bit of imagination to place yourself in the same position. But once you identify it's a bit of fun..

Great things: SW trailer, I was in a packed house and everyone was quiet watching it.

The whole almost Batman but Scooby trailer-that should be a bit of fun..

At the end of HP people clapped, and I have not witnessed that in a long time--it was nice to hear that kids had fun.....

20. Ghost_of_Caesar

Nov 27, 2000
    If anyone is worried about a kid's story feel to the series, read all the books. I won't anything beyond the fact that The Prisoner of Azkaban drops all pretense of the tale being a kids' story, and The Goblet of Fire just blows everything up in the air. If you're expecting a nice warm fuzzy feel through GoF and the next couple of books, I say forget it. Books 3 and 4 definitely mature up somewhat leave you wanting more.

21. mutley

mutley Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 1998
    I HATE spoilers so I'll try hard not to give one.......

HP has a twist in the end which for me(not having read the books)was quite refreshing. All in all not a movie I would spend another 13 dollars on, but was good value on the day and worth a second look on video. :)

If nothing else-I'm going to read the books(my cousin who is much younger will loan me the books), now they might be for kids but everyone needs to escape from the adult world sometime LOL.

If you have not seen it-give it a go when you have nothing else to do, but in your best interest take a kid with you, the smile you get afterwords is worth everything.

22. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    I haven't read the books yet, but I thought it was great. It definately is a kids movie, but that doesn't mean it's bad. Sometimes it's refreshing to get what you expect. I liked all the actors. Everyone seems to be praising everyones performance bar Harry's, so I was expecting him to give another Jake Lloyd-esque performance. But I thought he did a great job -- along with the rest of the cast. The British can act, that's for sure.

Now, I wonder how many movies the kids had to sign up for in their original contract? 'Cos a sequel, and more, are absolutley guarenteed considering the success already.

23. Teknobabel

Teknobabel Jedi Master star 5

Jun 4, 2000
    Epic, you've got a good point there, prolly depends a lot on who is going to direct the rest of them, speilberg said he was interested in a few of them, but the current director was the litmus strip to test the waters.

24. wedge3210

wedge3210 Jedi Master star 5

Jun 7, 1999
    Wasn't part of the movie making contract that all parties involved were British? I'm sure I read that somewhere.

25. Ghost_of_Caesar

Nov 27, 2000
    Chirs Colombus, as I understand, was only signed to do the first two due to the time commitment, but the cast have been signed for all four that Warner Bros have the rights to. After The Chamber of Secrets I have no idea who will be signed to direct, but anyone is possible, even Speilberg, because Rowling has proved she can keep complete creative control and not let someone like Speilberg ruin a good adaptation. SS wanted to, according to rumour, completely butcher the storyline, even have it set in America.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.