Oceania Harry Potter :: Your reaction

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Silmarillion, Nov 29, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghost_of_Caesar Jedi Master

star 4
    Have you read more than just one chapter of Philosopher's Stone, Ozhaggis? I had exactly the same attitude toward the books less than four weeks ago, and now I can't wait for the next book.

The story isn't high literature, but nor is it low brow kid's entertainment. As for pushing yourself to get through a slow start, I'm told by sources I consider very reliable that the same applies to Lord of the Rings. If I let a slow beginning turn me off a series, then I'm going to miss out on a good yarn.

Don't let an immature perception of what someone tells you to believe determine what you decide to read. Read the series, and decide for yourself.
  2. Zyphyr Jedi Knight

star 3
    Actually, Ozhaggis, the books DO get more adult. That's the way they're designed. The Philosopher's Stone is for kids aged 10-12 years of age, then the next book is for 11-13 year olds, then the next is for 12-14 year olds and so on. They are designed to be read a year in between so that while Harry Potter grows up in school the child reading it also grows at the same pace. (A friend who works in the book trade let me in on this, and it is very noticable in the books when you read them.) For instance I wouldn't recommend a ten year old read Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (the fourth book). It is far too horrific for children IMO. However, the first book would be just right for that age group.
    So in a way what heard is correct. The next book won't be for kids, it will be for teenagers.

(However I still wouldn't classify it as high literature! But then again, Shakespeare was considered to be mass popular entertainment in his day so maybe one day J.K. Rowling will be on the booklist of English Literature majors! Stranger things have happened.)
  3. TheOzhaggis Force Ghost

star 5

*shudders*

Meanwhile, interesting to note: Harry Potter (the movie) is only #16 on the top grossing films of all time.

If that sounds impressive, consider this: it still lags behind Home Alone (#12).
  4. Ghost_of_Caesar Jedi Master

star 4
    "Only #16"?

Uh, can anyone say big deal fraggin' deal? #16 on the Highest grossing films list is no mean achievement, and HP isn't anywhere near the end of it's theatrical run.

Honestly, Ozhaggis, what is your problem with the books? I'm challenging you, and so far, you have failed to come up with any argument, let alone one worthy of recognition, that the Potter books are substantially flawed. If they are a load of crap, which you seem to imply, why the hell are they so popular? Maybe you should peel yourself out of the chair in front of your computer, and read a book (any book, I don't care), or go outside and watch life happen.
  5. LittleJedi Jedi Master

star 4
    I saw the movie last week but I'd read books 1-4 months and months ago! I was actually quite pleasantly surprised. I was annoyed that they left some bits out that i really liked like when they sing the school song to whatever tune they wanted, and the Sorting Hat's song and the bottles puzzle. But oh well.

I have to agree... the books do get darker as they go along but I never found them scary despite what others have said.

Alan Rickman was great, and I liked the kid who played Draco. Oh, and I love John Cleese! :D And McGonagall! And Hagrid! However, i found that Dumbledore was not much like I had imagined him which bugged me. I pictured Dumbledore as a cross between Merlin in Disney's Sword in The Stone and Obi-Wan in A New Hope. Oh well.

And The Forbidden Love trailer - HOW COOL! I can't wait for it to come out! And that Monsters Inc thing just before the movie when they were doing charades was funny too.

-Little Jedi-
    MTFBWY
  6. TheOzhaggis Force Ghost

star 5
    Careful, Ghost, you'll have a heart attack and ruin my vacation.

What is my problem with them? I don't like them. They do nothing for me. As I said in an earlier post (maybe you missed it..?) I tried reading one and the style was too childish for my taste. Mea culpa.

But more important is: what is your problem with me not liking them? Why is it such a problem for you?

As for books, I read plenty. Right now, I'm reading The Oddyssey, The Illiad, The Golden Bough, War & Peace, Jude the Obscure, and before you go and judge me on my reading preferences, I am also reading War of the Rats (a non-fiction war novel set in the battle of Stalingrad), the journal of John Steinbeck, more Terry Pratchett than you can poke a stick at, more SF than you can fit in an alternate universe, The Devil: A Biography, and a hell of a lot other books that I can't think of right now. Is that good enough for you?

And that only takes about twenty minutes a night, which gives me plenty of time to go outside and have a very happy life. But thank you for your concern.

Does that cover everything?

No, wait. One more thing.
    "If they are crap, why are they so popular?"

Did I miss a memo? Since when does popularity mean something is good?

Ninja Turles were very popular. So were Transformers and He-Man.
    So is Pokemon, Digimon, and every other -mon.
    So was killing Jews. Very popular in Germany at one stage. Does that mean it's a good thing?

No, I'm not comparing Harry Potter to the Holocaust. Just questioning the logic of "If it's popular, it must be good."

It's not that simple.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.