Harry Potter!

Discussion in 'Santa Cruz, CA' started by LadyCieone, Jul 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LadyCieone Jedi Knight

I am so looking forward to the new movie tomorrow. I have a Dr's appointment at 1:30 so we're going to go see the film afterwards.

Saw a special on A&E about the new film, and I have to say that I LOVE Jason Isaacs' (Lucius Malfoy) new costume! I would love to see that man in an Imperial uniform or even as the young Palpatine! Yum! *wipes drool from her lips*[face_love] He's definitely a hottie!
  2. TionneHawk Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    *whine* I wanna go!!!! Not sure when...maybe this weekend or even Friday...
    I've been waiting for this one for a long time and I just pre-ordered the 7th book.

*covers eyes* no spoilers please!!! (even though I've been watching the commercials and catching snippets in the news)
  3. Master--Kenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    Dang..forgot about the opening. I don't think there is anything special going on over our way...the papers have been pretty dead quiet about the film..more talking about the book coming out.

Will have to see it..don't wanna miss out!
  4. DarkLordSid Jedi Master

star 4
    It's running here all over, in digital and in 3D Digital at the I-Max downtown (San Jose).

Digital tonight, 3D later.

Not a lot of promoting going on out here, it sells itself.
  5. Kai_Vandekar Jedi Master

star 4
    I'll be seeing it tomorrow. :) Didn't get the best review, actually. Hmmm.

- Kai
  6. me-gonk Force Ghost

star 4
    I am dying to see it!
    Not sure when exactly I can see it though...really seriously booked for a couple weeks.
    I'm going to try to squeeze it in though. It would be the first one I've seen in the theater if I manage :)
  7. DarkLordSid Jedi Master

star 4
    Liked it in digital, and yeah I can see why the reviewers might not have liked it. It does suffer from some rather abrupt transistions and I'll bet the extended version on DVD will be much smoother.

I'm thiking for the seventh one they should go right to DVD, by then everyone will have a massive home theater setup anyway, and you don't have to deal with the people that simply can't stay off the dang cell phones.
  8. TionneHawk Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Stupid people on cell phones in the theater. I think the worst theater experience I had was when I saw Shrek 3 and the girl next to me kept texting throughout the whole thing. It's one thing to have the audio distraction, but when you keep seeing this glowing light to the side of you it REALLY throws the whole movie out the window. I nearly said "look, if you can't go 2 hours without texting, perhaps you should leave," but I was nice and didn't. Next time though....no mercy. :mad:
  9. Master--Kenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    Hopefully will get to see it this weekend. Right now on marathon schedule to get the floors re-done and the house finished!!

Saw the VERY mixed reviews on it. But pretty sure I'm gonna like it. And hopefully, no cell phones, and no idiots in the theater. [face_shhh]
  10. LadyCieone Jedi Knight

Ah, yes, the movie-going experience. How wonderful it is to spend $10 a person and have to deal with morons who have zero knowledge of theater etiquette.

A few years back, we went to see the second X-men movie in the theater. We had to deal with a kid (about 10 or so) running up and down the aisles with his heavy wallet chain jingling. No idea where his parents were, they most likely weren't even in the theater.

And then about 20 minutes before the end of the film, the next audience started filing in and standing in the back of theater. One girl started talking LOUDLY. I finally turned around and yelled "SHUT UP!" I got applause from the rest of the audience.

I learned a long time ago that if you don't speak up for yourself, no one else is going to.
  11. Kai_Vandekar Jedi Master

star 4
    What you said, LadyCione.

I've become a lot more assertive in theaters when people use cell phones or text. Or put their feet on the back of my chair and jiggle their legs.

I just plain don't tolerate it anymore.

I am assertive, not rude. I don't call people names or yell at them. But I am firm. Almost universally, it works. People are usually so startled to be called on their bad behavior, they stop. I just can't believe how lacking in basic manners people are these days.

Yes, yes, I sound like a grumpy old lady. I don't care. It's true. There have always been rude people but it used to be more of an exception than simply the norm. And cell phone users and abusers, sorry folks, are the WORST in theaters.

- Kai, mid-rant
  12. DarkLordSid Jedi Master

star 4
    Guess this guy had enough of phones in theaters...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20070714/od_afp/australiacrimeoffbeat
  13. Master--Kenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    LOL...gotta love them "low-speed" pursuits!!

14. me-gonk Force Ghost

star 4
    That is just classic!!
  15. TionneHawk Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I finally saw HP last night and I loved it!!! I can see where people who haven't read the book might not "get it". I think they did a fantastic job of including a little bit of just about everything. They obviously couldn't get the whole book into 2+ hours, but I think if you watch closely enough you get the idea of what goes on and there are some little side bits that really fill in the gaps. I was also very glad there were no pointless transitions like in some of the previous ones (i.e. the tree) that take up time but don't move the story along really. Sure, I can see where people might think it was choppy, but if you are paying attention it actually does flow from one scene to the next.

I definitely will be seeing this one again! :D
  16. JedHead1 Force Ghost

star 5
    Seeing it in IMAX 3-D was great!
  17. Master--Kenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    I just want to see it!!! :_|

But 3-D... WOW!!!!!
  18. JedHead1 Force Ghost

star 5
    Actually, the climax of the film (about 20 minutes or so) was in 3-D.
  19. Kai_Vandekar Jedi Master

star 4
    The 3D thing SO didn't work for me. Too close to front of IMAX screen meant only the center of the screen was in 3D. The REST was in Double-Blur-O-Vision, and gave me a horrible headache, in addition to making it so I couldn't interpret most of the action. Great idea, but it really took away from the climactic scenes of the film for me. Going to see it again on a normal screen. LOL!
  20. me-gonk Force Ghost

star 4
    I really have to ask.
    Without giving spoilers away of course...
    did the 3D portion resort to cheap tricks of spells flying at you and wands in your face or was it well placed within the action?
    I still do not know when I'm going to be able to see the movie.
    I originally was planning for Sunday. It's Jon and my 12 yr wedding ann so I was thinking of dumping the kids at the grandparents not far from the theater, seeing the film, grabbing kids and zooming off to the SDFF meeting that night. This was of course squashed when my mom reminded me they're leaving for Seattle on Sunday :rolleyes:
    I just can't help wonder how well the 3D was executed.
  21. DarkLordSid Jedi Master

star 4
    Have to say Mrs. Sid looks DAYAM HOT in a thrown together costume for last night.

And no, I'm not posting the pix here, ya just have to use your imagination in how she looks in a leather corset.

*drools*

Sorry, I'll clean that up.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.