Harry Potter

Discussion in 'Calgary, AB' started by echosevin, Jul 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. echosevin Force Ghost

star 4
    Anyone catch the new flick? Definitely different from the book, but as book 5 is the largest of the series to date, it was expected that they would cut a lot out. Still, it was fantastic! The actors continue to grow and get better and better. I found Radcliffe's performance fantastic! Especially near the end when Voldemort possesses him. It gave me chills!

Anyone interested in doing anything for the book release this weekend? I plan on getting my copy at midnight and staying up all night to read it. I heard that McNally Robinson (downtown on Stephen Ave) will be transforming part of Stephen Ave into Diagon Alley on Friday! I was thinking of heading down to take part. Many of the Chapters are hosting events on Friday too - costume contests and activites galore.

Predictions? I'm thinking that Harry will die, defeating Voldemort. Or that Snape may sacrifice himself to save him....
  2. ShatirLavan Jedi Knight

star 3
    I only have muggle clothes, but I'd head down to Diagon Alley.
  3. DrHaggis Jedi Knight

star 3
    Yes there is an event at McNally Robinson. That's where I plan on being.

From their site:
    Calgary Harry Potter Family Street Festival on Diagon Alley Friday, July 20 - 10:00 p.m. - 12:15 a.m.

Stephen Avenue Walk Downtown between Centre St. & 1st St. S.W.

Muggles of all ages are invited to come down to this FREE, family-friendly festival to enjoy:

Spooky & spectacular circus acts by Velocity Motion Werks; Defence Against the Dark Arts, Divination, Care of Magical Creatures & Transfiguration Classes; Magical crafts, enchanting music, ghastly treats & creepy performers! Special appearances by key characters. Costume judging & Harry Potter trivia contests!

Source: http://www.mcnallyrobinson.com/event.php?txtEventID=6636
  4. AaylaIsMyWife Jedi Knight

Yrol, I TOTALLY wanna go down to Diagon Alley friday night!!! I'm trying to convince Tannis to come with me too cuz we're going to West Ed the next morning and I'll be dragging her around the city the night before!!! So let me know, I can come down and pick you up and we can go down together!!
  5. TapeTrooper515 Jedi Knight

star 2
    Interesting, I will have to look into going to that. I usualy eat supper at McNally Robinson before going to work on tuesdays, it's a nice store (they sell Star Wars Miniatures;)). I have not seen the new movie yet, but I plan to very, very soon.
  6. ShatirLavan Jedi Knight

star 3
    When I saw the ugly traffic on Crowchild, I decided to stay down south for a while after going to Tandy. So I saw Order of the Phoenix tonight at Chinook. It was pretty cool, though I think Goblet of Fire is still my favourite.

BTW, I finally found the Sam Browne post rivets at Tandy, so now I have the canon rivets for my Anakin belt. Yippee!
  7. Dooks Jedi Master

star 4
    Sounds like fun both myself and the Elder are gonna head down for some Potter madness now I just have to finish 2 books by friday.

My prediction is that Vader shows up and shows them who's really boss :D.
  8. LordFuron Jedi Knight

star 1
    Yrol where are you getting you book? I wouldn't mind picking up a copy as well.
  9. echosevin Force Ghost

star 4
    McNally is selling it for $33 (30% off the cover price) but I pre-ordered mine from Shoppers at Chinook (40% off the cover price) - they're open 24 hours. We're picking up our copies on the way home from the McNally event (we bought our book there last time too and it was pretty hassle free - no line up!).
  10. StacyD Jedi Knight

star 2
    A Star Wars fan who avoids lines? HERESY! ;)

~StacyD
  11. DrHaggis Jedi Knight

star 3
    This seems appropriate:
    (click to view)
    [image=http://farm1.static.flickr.com/37/103915330_5290a80163_o.jpg]
    [Flickr source]
  12. Starkiller77 Jedi Knight

star 3
    I was going to see Harry Potter this weekend, but now I'd rather watch A NEW HOPE.
  13. Vadersmistress66 Jedi Knight

star 2
    2 more days!! Not really even 2 more...I am doing nothing on Saturday except laying in my backyard w/ this book.
  14. DrHaggis Jedi Knight

star 3
    Is the all night Potter fest going to impact saber class attendance?

It's a good thing this book dropped on a weekend, because I'm sure if it landed mid-week there would be a notable increase in employee absenteeism.
  15. TapeTrooper515 Jedi Knight

star 2
    I just saw the movie today, it was great! Umbridge was perfectly cast and even Dumbledore was slightly less angry.
    I can hardly wait for midnight tomorrow.
  16. echosevin Force Ghost

star 4
    I still plan on being there (albeit a little groggy eyed from staying up all night)[face_hypnotized] . Is Sifu feeling better???
  17. darth-paul- Jedi Master

star 2
    Stupid New York. I heard that some bookstores in New York are selling the book already!!! The reason is that when the last book was for sale, the publisher said that if you sold Book 6 early then you don't get book 7. So, the bookstores are taking liberties because there isn't going to be a book 8.

I wish I was in New York!!!

Darth Paul
  18. PreludeRM FanForce CR, & Fanforce Council Calgary, Alberta

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    Just read this in the CR board. Everybody please read and follow.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows comes out this week.
    The Harry Potter Spoiler policy is in effect board wide.
    This means:

Spoilers must be HTR for one month after the release of the book, unless posted in a an official designated spoiler thread in those forums that have designated threads.

No spoilers of any kind in thread titles, signatures, or unsolicited PMs.

In forums with designated spoiler threads (e.g. SFF or YJCC), spoilers should only be posted there and should follow spoiler policy for that particular forum.

Bans will not be automatic, but on a case-by-case basis based on the TOS (e.g if someone is clearly trolling).

DO NOT PM spoilers, fake or not, to other users unless they have been asked for; this is bad.
  19. TapeTrooper515 Jedi Knight

star 2
    Looks like I can't make it to McNally Robinson tonight, we have the book pre ordered at a local store. Have a good time thought, and watch out for spoilers.
  20. ShatirLavan Jedi Knight

star 3
    You should have been there tonight Pete. It was a blast. I was the only Jedi there! So much fun. Every 10 feet I walked, someone wanted a picture of me. Those of you I saw, I'm sure you're just about halfway through the book by now, so keep reading and enjoy.
  21. TapeTrooper515 Jedi Knight

star 2
    Just finished the book about an hour ago. Almost twelve hours of solid reading with fifteen minutes of sleep in the middle somewhere. I don't want to give away anything about the book, so my only comment at this time is :eek: :_| =D= =D= =D=!!!
  22. ShatirLavan Jedi Knight

star 3
    Today at work someone told me that I was in the Herald this morning, so I picked up a copy, and sure enough it seems that one of the people I talked to at Diagon Alley was a journalist. I'm quoted in an article about the HP events.
  23. Magpie Jen Jedi Knight

star 2
    Cool!

Was my sister in the Herald too? There was a picture of her in the web-version of the Herald, but I haven't been able to get a paper copy yet.
  24. ShatirLavan Jedi Knight

star 3
    I didn't notice anything about pink-wigged Emma, but I didn't take a super close look. I may have missed it.
  25. Jedi_Ranger_007 Jedi Master

star 4
    Well, it looks like I might be seeing this movie (maybe at IMAX) tomorrow (Thursday), as I have to go to Calgary to get a new drive shaft for my e-maxx. If I do see it, this will be the first HP movie I have seen in the theatre.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.