main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

DFW, TX HARRY POTTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'MidSouth Regional Discussion' started by m0rpheus, Nov 16, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. m0rpheus

m0rpheus Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 27, 2000
    Saw the first showing this morning in Plano with Kurgan and Phillip.

All I can say is WOW!!!!!!!!!! I sat through the whole movie with a big, stupid grin on my face!! By the end, I was SO overjoyed I felt like crying!! This is by far THE BEST film I've seen all year, and now one of my all time favs! It stayed very, very true to the book...about 95% faithful. Everyone is great. Snape is great, Ron steels the movie, Hagrid is hilliarious (Ooops, maybe I shouldn't have told you that) BAHAHAHAHAHAHAH, and so on and so on. The Quiditch match is wonderful. It was amazing seeing so many things that I've read in the book take life on the screen. It was almost like watching one of those home movies about your family.

To quote Ron, "That was bloody brilliant!"

(I saw it early today because I wont be able to go tonight because I'm packing to go out of town for the holidays. Leaving around 5am tommorow morning.)

2. Kurgan1

Kurgan1 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 19, 2000
    Yup, the movie is absolutely amazing. For once, I agree with Eric, it's easily the best movie of the year. The casting was perfect, everyone was awesome.

This was a 9:35 showing, and it was PACKED! If you don't have tickets for a show today, good luck seeing it, because most of the showings are already sold out.

I can easily see this movie becoming the highest grossing film of all time. And like the books, it deserves every penny that it makes.

I just hope Warner Bros. puts their idiot ideas aside and comes up with a truly great DVD when it finally comes out. This film DEMANDS a very nice two-disc set with all of the extra footage incorporated back in.

If you're a fan of the books, you're going to be enthralled and delighted. If you haven't read them, be ready to fall in love with the best new fantasy since Star Wars.

3. Old-Jedi

Old-Jedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 25, 2000
    Ummm fellas? Any sign of the trailer?

4. m0rpheus

Nov 27, 2000
    Nope. No trailer. Downloaded it and saw it already so didn't think about that one. But sorry no trailer. All we got was the run around from every staffer at the theater they all said the same thing like "Dunno' what happened. The manager was supposed to put it on the movie but it looks like he didn't." So I said, where's your manager, I'll ask him. And this idiot says, "Oh, uh, the managers off work today." To which I said, "Oh, how convienient." Yea right, the manager's off work today of all days. Not only was HP selling out on every showing of the day, but news crews were setting up out front.

So we have this theory that theaters have been givin the word to boycott the new trailer after what LFL pulled with Monsters, INC. Some big conspiracy is going on here, I tells ya.

Anway, you can download it and watch it yourself, and don't let it bum you out because HP was FRIKKIN AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

way better then Ep1. But don't tell Brandon I said that.

5. stone

stone Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 4, 2000
    glad to see eric "excessive exclamtion points" morpheus hasn't lost his touch.

6. Jedi_Jarvis

Jedi_Jarvis Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 7, 2001
    I thought Kurgan had the touch?

Hmmm...

7. m0rpheus

Nov 27, 2000
    The exlamation points are my imitation of Harry Knowles. You ever notice how every single headline on his site has like 40 exlamation points a piece? What an idiot. Geeze I hate that guy and his stupid site. But I love HARRY POTTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. super_hyper_melanie

super_hyper_melanie Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 24, 2001
    OMG! i loved it...i sat through it on the edge of my seat, huge grin the whole time, and some cringing at some 'oh that's gotta hurt' points and the whole creepy ass voldemort thing....by the end i was so overjoyed i actually caught a tear trickling down my face...actually there were a few more that may have came if i hadn't wiped them out before they officially became tears....oh yah best movie of the year and best movie i've ever seen based off a book...it was about as true as you can get to a book like that in 2 1/2 hours...but i miss peeves....yah everyone is great... at the mention of snape i think of the weirdest thing, i don't think there was a time i wasn't about to laugh my head off when he was on screen...he's just so pompous it's hilarious....yah ron steals the show a bit, but still....quidditch was really awesome, although me and my friend agree that it kind of reminded us of hockey...poor oliver wood (that's all i'll say cause that was a nasty fall)......yah i kinda gotta agree on that home movie like thing, but it was awesome....i'm taking me mum to see it tomorrow....i only had one beef with it...up until the movie, lots of promo pics and all that kind of good stuff show harry with green eyes, which he's supposed to have, but dan's eyes are blue and it's kinda obvious that they didn't make him stick in contacts for the movie, so now we've got a blue eyed harry but oh well

9. stone

Dec 4, 2000
    isn't it kinda odd that harry, who is supposed to be the most powerful wizard ever, doesn't actually DO any magic.

sure he can fly a broom and he made the glass disappear at the zoo, but hermoine and ron are the ones who actually whip out the wand at start casting spells. he didnt even use any magic to defeat the badguy. what's up with that?

he's like the jar-jar version of a wizard, "sheer dumb luck"

10. Kurgan1

Nov 19, 2000
    Ah, Stone, you missed the point. He can do magic, although not a whole lot---YET! But the point of the first film is to show that his true strength does not lie in his powers, but in his bravery and brains.

If you'd read the books, you would understand. And his days of not having much magical knowledge will come to an end soon enough. Just you wait...;)

11. stone

Dec 4, 2000
    "if you'd read the books, you would understand"

don't give me that crap. this is a movie, not a book. the movie has to stand on it's own merits, and if it can't then it's the film-makers fault.

heaven forbid i should critize the almighty and powerful HP.

look, he was in school for a whole year, and yet he can't make with magic?

good movie, but i'm not impressed. even ron was a better wizard [and stole the show as a better actor]

12. jango-joe1

jango-joe1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 25, 2001
    It was a good movie

13. Kurgan1

Nov 19, 2000
    I'm simply saying there's more to the story than that. Just because he's not throwing around lightning bolts onscreen doesn't mean that he's succeeding by 'dumb luck'.

Let me ask you this--do we see Luke using the Force very much in Ep. IV? Does that mean that he can't? Or that his potential is there, yet he still hasn't had enough formal training to use it.

I have a feeling that if they had Harry using all sorts of magic, you'd be complaining that he couldn't have learned that much yet, being that he only knew about the stuff for a year.

14. stone

Dec 4, 2000
    five minutes with obi wan and luke is blocking laser bolts with the blast sheild down.

15. Kurgan1

Nov 19, 2000
    And five minutes after getting his broomstick, Harry's doing nearly impossible (for wizards) feats through the air.

Sometimes you people are as bad as talkbackers, feeling the need to nitpick every little thing.

16. stone

Dec 4, 2000
    don't give me that crap

it's a valid criticism

why can't you just admit that, as a movie, it's not totally flaw-less. [much like tpm or highlander]

and i didn't even bring up the harsh editing, like a few subtle scene transitions woulda killed them.

and dont say "there's more to the story" either. cause this is a _MOVIE_ and if it aint in the movie then it aint in the movie.

but go on, continue to "rose colored glasses" defend...

17. Kurgan1

Nov 19, 2000
    Why? Because I don't see the point in criticizing something to death when you actually like it. What's the frigging point?

The problem I have with this is that the first thing people try to do is to say all the things they DIDN'T like about a movie. Me, I go into a movie looking to be entertained and to find things that I enjoy. I see no point in paying money and wasting time on something that I just want to rip to pieces. I am a movie FAN, not a movie critic.

Bottom line--the movie was awesome, exciting, and a really good adaptation of a great book.

18. super_hyper_melanie

Oct 24, 2001
    i'm more of a fan than a movie critic myself....sure i was a little nitpicky since i'd read the book 3 times before seeing the movie, but the movie was great and i kept all negative comments to myself...man i loved that movie so much...i've seen it twice and will see it for a third time sometime this week....wonder if my crazy observant side will fall in once again...i won't bug you guys with my crazy observation from the 2nd time of seeing it...i've already ranted on about it too much in yahoo hp and dan radcliffe clubs....

19. vahsi_of_hogwarts

vahsi_of_hogwarts Jedi Youngling

Nov 20, 2001
    that movie was alsome...i 2 saw it 2nd time

i did see one or two bad things but all in all a great movie

20. Amidala Starkiller

Amidala Starkiller Jedi Master star 6

Dec 11, 1999
    No blasters! No blasters! ;) :D [face_mischief]

21. super_hyper_melanie

Oct 24, 2001
    hiya brandee (vahsi_of_hogwarts)...looky i got someone new in here...had to make her sit and watch me read posts in here for a while before she actually decided to come in here and post something herself... but i am good *basks in her own glory*....*falls over laughing at herself* god i'm sooo bored....hey brandee when are we gonna atually go see hp again...i mean we've gotta see it at UA 8 cause you've seen it there and now you've seen the AOTC trailer and i still haven't cause my computer is a huge ass hunk o junk.

22. vahsi_of_hogwarts

Nov 20, 2001
    what does blasters have to do with harry potter.....and will see it again as soon as i can get the money

23. Amidala Starkiller

Amidala Starkiller Jedi Master star 6

Dec 11, 1999
    it was a joke refering to stone and Kurgan1

anyway

the move was good but not great

24. vahsi_of_hogwarts

Nov 20, 2001
    yah it chould have been better, still it was pretty close to the book.

25. Nabooty_Call

Nabooty_Call Former RSA / Obi-Wan Impersonator star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 11, 2000
    I'm closer to Stone's side on this one...I have yet to find someone who hasn't read the books who was enthralled by the film.

Sure, it was a good family fantasy film, but after discussing this over e-mails with another friend who's a fan of the books, I realized that for me, adaptions are best when they have a bold directorial approach taken to the source material.

For me, movies like Dune, Blade Runner, The Shining, and the more recent From Hell are thoroughly enjoyable because the translation from book to film creates something new by being shone through the lens of the director's vision. If I want a strict or overly faithful rendering of what's in the book, I'll read the book...

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed seeing Harry Potter, and look forward to watching the sequels, but stylistically there was not enough there to totally engross me in the film's world, or even get me to want to read the books.

If this movie were truly that spectacular and "as good as the book," then those of us who saw it but hadn't read the books would be flocking to bookstores to pick up a copy, in the same way that those who've read and love Rowling's novels have rushed theaters to see the film. But so, far, I've not seen that happening....

The movie was good, but a little bland and overly faithful to the source material. And this is what's got me reserving judgement on Fellowship of the Ring as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.