main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Harry Powers/Doctar Whose/Serlong Halms Appreciation Threads

Discussion in 'Community' started by JoinTheSchwarz , Aug 2, 2014.

1. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Hi, I hope this is the right tag, lol.

So I've been made aware of the Harry Powers series of books and movies thanks to my visit to Diagonal Alley in Universal Studios Orlando. That was a fun roller coaster. I feel like I'm initiated and no longer a moggin! I think I'm ready to join the hordes of Howard's fans!

ITT you can share your favorite HP moments and I'll keep you updated on my progress with the saga. But no spoilers beyond Azhkabistan lol!

jp-30, MrZAP, Penguinator and 10 others like this.
  2. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    I read this 3 times before I realized what it was really saying. :(

3. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    My favourite HP moment was on that delicious 18oz ribeye.

Darth Punk likes this.
  4. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    This is a series of books for children and I think it is perverse that so many adults read it and do things like dress as characters from it. It's just disgusting.

jp-30 and Ender Sai like this.
  5. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    Sorry, I just started dabbling on English fantasy. It's so quirky and delightful! It's just like Winnie the Pooh: that perfect British ideal without colonialism or Thatcherism! So delightful! Doctar Whose is the same. "I love bow ties!" lol! Delightful!

I wonder how a Powers/Whose crossover would work. Harmony could ride the TARDING and Rik Baker could fight Voldemore. So many possibilities!

jp-30, Penguinator, Frank T. and 5 others like this.
  6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Harry is a very bad boy because he does magic and he needs to find Jesus before it's too late for him and his friend Rob Beesley and the people who read this are also very bad people who sold their souls to satan just so they could get an invisibility cloak and don't they know that god can still see you through an invisibility cloak?

7. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
  8. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    I still know nothing about Beesley, but there was a creepy guy in the ride that was called Mister Dementar. He kept peeping from behind the curtains. It was creepy. But very British, too, so it was also slightly delightful.

jp-30, Boba Nekhbet, Frank T. and 2 others like this.
  9. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    So I've started reading The Phenomenal Stone and it's pretty nice. There's Harry, Harmony and of course Coral, that guy with the turban and the Mister Dementar tattoo. I'm a bit frustrated, though, as I was looking forward to a fight that was depicted in the ride, where Mister Dementar's minions (called, I believe, Voldemore and Beatrix) cast a lot of rictus semper on a massive white dragon that Harry's riding, but my wife says that the battle is not canon. So confusing (but delightful)!

Frank T. and Zapdos like this.
  10. Lord Chazza

Lord Chazza Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2013
    I'm glad you're enjoying The Phenomenal Stone. I hope you enjoy The Chamber of Leaflets just as much. In that book, the best bit is the finale where
    Harry gets attacked by a pacifist in the Chamber. The pacifist is aided and abetted by a bloke called Tom Risky who dies of sudden, catastrophic memory loss.
    Excellent stuff.

11. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    That pacifist's name was Gary Lonelyhearts. Such a sad, humble man.

TrandoJedi likes this.
  12. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    If you find Moldyvore a delightful villain now, just wait until Chamber of Secretions.

13. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    I finished The Phenomenal Stone! I think my favorite character was Harmony, and I'm looking forward to see Emma Stone playing her in the film version! I read the book alongside my lil' niece and she loved it as well! She said she's not trusting anyone in a turban ever again.

Next: Harry Powers In The Chambers of Snakes!

14. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    My favorite book is Glob of Farts. Harry must pass his PE exam and gets help cheating from Bad-Guy Booty.

He's taught the trick of eating enough Taco Bell to fill your intestines with gas. He takes out each of the other school's contestants. My fave part is when corners the fat, pale kid that sparkles, Edtard Cullen.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  15. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    No fanfic here, please.

16. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    Oh behave!

17. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    An epic showdown between Voldermeet & The 21st Dumblefalk would be an interesting tale; also, I'd imagine that despite being the person who has the power to fight Voldermeet, Powers still has bad teeth. No spells can fix it; doesn't help either that the teeth suffer damage during any game of Queffidditch.

18. Mr. K

Mr. K Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 1999
    I still can't believe that's Ray Fines under all that make-up, but to me Allen Rikmen really stole she show as Severed Snake. Maggie Thatcher was good in it too as Professor McDonalds.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  19. Rosslcopter

Rosslcopter Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    tom likes this.
  20. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Where did you buy your appreciation threads?

21. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    At the Hogweeds Town Store, in Universal Studios' Island of the Adventure!

22. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
  23. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    OMG

[​IMG]

IM SO EXITED GUYS

RICTUS SEMPER!!!!!!!!!!!

24. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Sometimes I don't think we're even related, David Twin.

25. AaylaSecurOWNED

AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2005
    "I like bow ties!" is my favorite thing to come out of all this.