main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Has any being ever actually left the Star Wars galaxy?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by theman54, Aug 31, 2014.

1. Force Ghost

Force Ghost Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 25, 2014
    True. My mistake.

She is really the only person I can remember leaving. She didn't actually go to their galaxy. Been a long time since I've read NJO.
    She did leave tho! Lol

2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Luke and Leia also do so in a Marvel SW comic:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars_38:_Riders_in_the_Void

3. Cartooncheryl

Cartooncheryl Jedi Master star 1

Jun 20, 1999
    Another thing about ET: When Elliot took him Trick-or-Treating, he recognized "Yoda." He sees a kid dressed as the grandest Muppet, and bolts towards him, saying "Home! Home!"

http://imgur.com/NsMZGRR

(I've been away for a little while, so if adding website links is against the rules, my bad!)

4. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    While "E.T."s being in TPM is officially Star Wars canon, the film E.T. is, sadly, not. I hope it will be someday, though! For now, it should probably just be considered fan fiction ;)

5. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    kamino. kamino is in a neighboring galaxy.

6. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    [​IMG]

I still think it's a newborn star (see image above). The spherical center somewhat looks too big compared to pictures of galaxies I've seen.

Already the GFFA is big enough to hide somewhere in it. If what we see at the end of ESB should be the GFFA, then the point of view is what? One million light years away? Why hide that far away?

Besides, the Falcon makes no attempt to fly towards it, actually it changes direction towards somewhere else: http://starwarsscreencaps.com/star-wars-episode-v-the-empire-strikes-back-1980/80/

7. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    They didn't have to fly very far - they flew straight up from the galactic plane - since Bespin & Hoth are already close to the edge of the galaxy.

What's visible is the core and surrounding region - the outer arms are too faint to be visible from a brightly lit medical bay.

8. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    [​IMG]

Here is what the ESB screenplay at IMDB says:

He gets up and walks over to Leia. There is a new bond between them, a
    new understanding. Leia is thinking about Han; Luke is thinking about
    his uncertain and newly complicated future. Together they stand at the
    large window of the medical center looking out on the Rebel Star
    Cruiser and a dense, luminous galaxy swirling in space.

Yet, the Falcon's trajectory takes it away from that galaxy. IIRC, even the planets far out are more or less on the galactic plane. The point of view and the Falcon's heading are way up "north" to suggest they are still within this galaxy.

9. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    There's lots of stars in real galaxies not on the galactic plane - mostly in globular clusters orbiting the galaxy.

It seemed to me like the Falcon would be heading along, well above the plane (so very little is in the way) before eventually dropping down. Instead of heading straight for the disc - it heads for the point above the disc where Tatooine would be (it hasn't made the jump to hyperspace yet- but we can expect it to do so when the calculations are made) - and then, when it's made that trip, it can drop down.

Our sun is approximately 27,200 light years from our galaxy's core. But according to the newcanon, Bespin is 49,100 light years from the core of its galaxy. I would guess that the rendezvous point is a few thousand light years straight up from Bespin & Hoth.

Using the newcanon galactic map:

"heading for Tatooine" certainly wouldn't involve heading for the Core - it's off at a pretty steep angle from it.

10. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    But what we see is a spiral galaxy.

Spiral galaxies consist of five distinct components:
    So the stars further out are almost exclusively a part of the outer flat disc, just as in the cutaway in my previous post. What we see in ESB is so far above that outer rim that it would qualify as "outside".

11. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012

I'd say it fits with the "near-spherical halo of stars, including globular clusters". A galactic halo is big.

And if the screenplay talks about a dense, luminous galaxy swirling in space - what reason do we have not to believe it?

12. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    The screenplay doesn't identify it as the GFFA.

It's just "a" dense, luminous galaxy swirling in space, not "the" dense, luminous galaxy swirling in space.

13. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Considering how large it appears relative to Luke & Leia, from the camera's view on the bridge deck - it makes sense that what the camera is looking at, is also what Luke and Leia are looking at.

And that they are close enough, that the viewpoint spot is likely to be within the Halo region.

[​IMG]

If you compare to the Andromeda galaxy, some 2 million light years away, which subtends some 3 degrees of sky (on long-exposure photographs) that thing looks vastly bigger.