main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Has anybody made any of the transformers?

Discussion in 'Archive: Scifi 3D Forum' started by Rebel Scumb, Apr 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rebel Scumb

Rebel Scumb Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 22, 1999
    Optimus prime, megatron, etc?

2. Crunchy

Crunchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    I think I saw a prime on the LWG board...

3. Dr. Jones

Dr. Jones Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 6, 2000
    I've seen some on Cgtalk, but don't even think about it, no way to share there.

However, I think transformers wouldn't be very hard to model, even for beginners, because there are almost no curve shapes.

4. Rebel Scumb

Feb 22, 1999
    that was my line of thinking as well. Once I get a new computer and some 3d software maybe that will be something I try

what would you guys recommend as far as programs go?

5. PapaFett

PapaFett Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 16, 2002
    If you just want to get into learning modeling first (since texturing/animating/lighting/rendering come after modeling) I would reccomend Wings3D... it's free and you can start doing basic lower poly stuff right now on very mediocre computers.

If you want a full package and are a student you have a lot of solid choices in the $300-$1000 price range...

All of the major pro to semi-pro apps are basically as good as each other... all do some things better or faster or easier than others and the decision is a very personal choice.

To help you decide which app is right for you I seriously reccommend that you read this thread and then follow it's guidelines to deciding for yourself.
    Which 3D app should I use?

But before you do so, there is an outstanding FAQ that you should read. It is focused to people who want to make a living at CG/3D but should be required reading for anyone who just wants to dabble...
    So You Want to be a 3D Artist?

Good Luck

6. Rebel Scumb

Feb 22, 1999
    thanks for all the info, I'll go through it very thoroughly as I'm looking to set up a 3D system in the next 6months to a year.

I just have one more question, it sounds like a lot of you guys use 3dstudio max, but i notice its only for PC, I found that to be a bit odd since I figured this kind of work was more suited to a mac. Is it worth it to buy another PC just for max, or does its non-macness make it sort of problematic when intergrating with other programs, ie finalcut pro?

7. PapaFett

Nov 16, 2002
    Max is a common app here at Scifi3D but there is a wide range of others available... As the "Which App Should I Choose?" thread indicates, you are much better off choosing an application based upon a trial of it, which will help you understand how comfortable it is for you.

Many people feel that Max is too clunky and inefficient, while others find it easy to get around in.

Many people love Lightwave's interface and material editor, while others find it strange to have two very different interfaces depending on what your doing.

Many find Maya very rich and flexible, while others find it hard to understand and difficult to find things.

Many find Softimage XSI to have amazing animation tools and a super-fast modeling workflow, while others find it ugly and weak in particles.

The point... there is demo/free education versions available for each and everyone of these applications. If you intend to buy one, choose it wisely based off of how it works for you, try the demos one at a time and read the manuals, included tutorials and app specific forums at CGTalk... give them all a fair shake and then run with what feels best with you. Don't rely on what others use, or reccomend, because what works for them may not work for you.

You are correct that Max is not available on the Macintosh Platform, but in all actuality Macintosh/Apple is no longer more suited for artists and 3D content creators. Apple has chosen not to support high-end professional graphics card which makes porting 3D apps less profitable for many 3D application developers.

Not to open up the WAR! but I use and own both Windows Machines and Mac's. Although once the end-all be-all for artists, Macintosh is now vastly inferior in application variety, hardware customability and reliability for many of the artists I work with, know and look up to.

If you are looking to learn 3D you are (at least presently) better off going w/ Linux or Windows using PC Hardware... In 6 months, things WILL change, but how they will change, no one can say.

8. Corrin_Wyndryder

Corrin_Wyndryder Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 17, 2001
    And everybody hates trueSpace.

9. foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 27, 2001
    Mac still rules the graphics and video editing world. But for 3d apps, you are unfortunately stuck with windows *pukes* until more 3d apps are available for Linux. I use Lightwave on my Mac...its a bit slow but my Mac is 4 years old...but that will change when I get a new dual 2ghz G5...

10. Jackie_Chan_Fan

Jackie_Chan_Fan Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 7, 2002
    Mac does not rule at video editing. Its good but so is the PC. Plenty of great video editors and post programs on the pc.

Try Sony Vegas, Avid Express Pro, Digital Fusion Combustion, Nuke etc.. Theres much more too actually... just cant name them...

I'm playing Americas army on other pc now :)

11. foxbatkllr

Jul 27, 2001
    Sorry but Mac does rule at video editing.

12. PapaFett

Nov 16, 2002
    Was gonna stay out of it... but LOL... sorry as a skilled FCP and Avid user... NO!

13. Darth_Steven

Darth_Steven Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 14, 2002
    I tend to think it's neither really....The software is what rules the editing and video world...That and the skill of the worker! Just thought I'd stir the pot a bit! hahaha

I've gone to quite a few interviews and never have I had someone ask me if I'm Mac or PC profficient. They want to know what programs I know and what I work with.

I used Macs for many years during college and after, and I've switched over to PC on the basis of price, efficiency and wide array of software. I find that alot of the time people who use Mac look down on people who use PC's as if they are trailer trash. Well the Mac world should wake up and realize that the job gets done just as well on other platforms and that Mac is not the center of the universe. I've had this discussion many many time with people who use Macs and I pose this question to them...If a famous painter like Cezan or Monet painted on a different medium other than Canvas or Water-colour based paper would there art be worth less today....Simply put...NO.

14. foxbatkllr

Jul 27, 2001
    Nope sorry, Mac is better. If you wanna bring Linux into the mix, that changes things because Linux aint' bad just has less software...but on a Windows v. Mac basis...Mac kicks ass. You will never convince me otherwise. Sorry, I grew up on PC and thought it was the best thing out there until I saw the light...

15. PapaFett

Nov 16, 2002
    I believe we can win this war tonight... I believe we can destroy the machines. Neo can save us.

Cool FBK... I submit to the magical prowess of the Mac. I am humbled. Nay shamed. Well back to editing, here Avid, here Avid. There you are, good boy...

I actually did turn on my Mac today... It still works. :) Needed to burn a DVD Comp of some edits... DVD Studio Pro does rule, but it's just about all I can stand to use on it... except iTunes.

16. foxbatkllr

Jul 27, 2001
    You know Avid makes stuff for both PC and Mac, right?

Plus we have FCP 4, which IMO has a better interface than Avid. :)

17. Rebel Scumb

Feb 22, 1999
    I agree foxbat, I've used AVID and FCP4 and I'll take FCP4 any day of the week, it works twice as fast and just as good. And if its good enough for Walter Murch and the Coen Borthers then its good enough for me. If I never touch an AVID again it'll be too soon. :p

Sorry for starting a Mac vs PC war, it was not my intent, I was just curious because I will be getting a G5 in the next 6 weeks for FCP4 and I'd just as soon be able to work off of one system so that down the road I can get a second G5 (or G6 since they are coming soon) and hook them up.

But if it makes more sense to get a PC or Linux to do the 3D then I guess thats the way to go. I was just curious if its possible to take your work from Max and transfer the finished shots to FCP on a Mac or if that is a huge hassle.

Either way I'll do what you suggested and try all the different versions before commiting.

BTW: thanks for suggesting Wings3D, I started doing the dog house tutorial last night and I've taken my first step into a much larger world ;)

18. PapaFett

Nov 16, 2002
    Reb... hey, to each his own. I feel exactly the way you feel towards Avid, except in reverse. I wish I had never purchased FCP as it is crash prone and does not make for an efficient tool in my personal pipeline.

Anywho... Whether you go w/ Mac or PC you will have no problems whatsoever using the render output on any platform. Like I mentioned earlier the big (nasty, hairy, disease-ridden :) ) issue w/ Macs and 3D is that Apple refuses to let you use Workstation quality video cards (Quadro, Fire etc...) which is imperative to working with geometry/texture intesive scenes. But if you are going to be working with scenes involving low-mid polycounts and are willing to deal with some lag on the higher count scenes, then a G5/G6 will work just fine. For Macs I would look most closely at Lightwave and Maya.

Glad to recommend Wings3D. IMHO it is the finest general 3D modeler available and it is free and always improving. Wait till you use the tweak and virtual mirror, they are like butta, like pure tasty butta.

19. Rebel Scumb

Feb 22, 1999
    Sorry you've had a negative FCP expirence. But hte important thing is like you said, find the tool that works for YOU, or in this case ME.

I imagine I'll end up with both a mac and a PC by the time its all over. Is it possible to take a finished Max clip and put it into aftereffects for compositing then export that to FCP?

20. PapaFett

Nov 16, 2002
    If by finished, you mean rendered... then yes, certainly, without a doubt.

21. Rebel Scumb

Feb 22, 1999
    yes rendered, thats what I meant, I must learn the lingo.

If thats he case then that works fine for me!

22. foxbatkllr

Jul 27, 2001
    I agree that Mac is not as suited towards 3d as PC is. Ideally I'd use Linux for 3d (unfortunately LW is not available for it yet) and Mac for everything else. If I were to create a renderfarm, it would be all Linux. It'd be a waste of money to setup a renderfarm of Macs. That is the advantage of PCs is that they're cheap and can be built towards pure rendering.

I'd say if you were looking to get into 3d as profession, go with a PC but if 3d is a secondary tool and you're more interested in video editing or graphic design, go with Mac. However, it pretty much comes down to personal preference.

23. Rebel Scumb

Feb 22, 1999
    Its more a secondary tool. I recently formed a production company with a few others to make independent films. We've already got some projects lined up for the coming year, all interesting but the usual indie stuff, low budget, quirky stuff with people in rooms and on locations talking, etc.

But When I saw the trailer for Revelations, it really made me realize that a low budget film no longer has to be a real world character piece, Sci-fi and fantasy are achievable on a really modest budget.

As I was pointing out to a friend the other day, I think anyone with 3 or 4 computers and $30,000 could probably remake ANH without much trouble. There's so much one can do now with the tools available, and it doesn't just have to be fanfilms, I'm currently resurrecting a script I started two years ago that I shelved because I realized I'd have to be a big time director with a huge budget to pull off. Re-examining it I'm pretty sure it can be done on a much more modest budget without cutting any corners. At the very least we can make a kick ass animatic to show the suits at the studios and try and get some financing.

So I realized I had to get ontop of this 3D stuff because there's no point in having find/hire/manage someone else to do it when I can just do it myself. It's going to take a while to acquire what I need and learn how to use it, but to start now then later.

thanks guys for your continued help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.