main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Has anybody noticed that mind tricks don't work on Tatooine locals

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Festus_taint, Aug 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Festus_taint

Festus_taint Jedi Youngling

Aug 19, 2004
    Jabba explains it well.
    But Watto why don't they work on him, trickery does, but not mindtricks.
    Also last but not least, the guy in ANH who gets his arm chopped off. maybe not a local but he knew his way around there. Ben tried to coax him away but could not.

That last scene i noticed kindof parallels the AOTC scene where the kid tries to sell him death sticks only that time it worked out well for kenobi

2. NZPoe

NZPoe Jedi Master star 4

Nov 21, 2001
    "The Force can have a powerful effect on the weak-minded".

Perhaps that says something about Tatooine inhabitants :D

You don't get to live on a planet that's practically Arakkis without learning a thing or two ;)

3. poodookoo

poodookoo Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 24, 2004
    You're both wrong.

It just happens that the Toydarian and Hutt species are immune to mind tricks, plain and simple.

Try not to overcomplicate every little thing in the Saga.

There are plenty of moments in all the SW movies where Jedi could've used mind tricks but didn't - it's simply a judgement call.

Hope that clears it up.

4. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    I concur with the honorable poodookoo. Certain species cannot be tricked. Watto can't be tricked because with his species it all comes down to money and if someone is going to cheat him out of money, he is going to see this. A Hutt is highly intelligent and Jabba is able to get around it.

Mind tricks only work on the weak minded. That is why Padme could not be tricked in AOTC. That is why certain humans cannot be tricked.

-Seldon

5. BaronFel88

BaronFel88 Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 25, 2004
    At least clones and Twi'leks are fairly gullible.

6. Festus_taint

Festus_taint Jedi Youngling

Aug 19, 2004
    the reason for stating this is because of the guy in the bar (can't remember his name, if he has one) that get's his arm chopped off. Ben was trying to sway him another way(even though he didn't do his hand twirl, that was his intention), why wouldn't he try to use the force. But the guy didn't go for it, I think Tatooine locals are really the only ones (without force abilities) who haven't been swayed by Jedi mindtricks.
    I'm not trying to really build a theory here, I just think George might have done this on purpose, maybe as an in-joke.

7. PalpatineAntikristos

PalpatineAntikristos Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 6, 2002
    Perhaps the guy at the bar is simply not weak-minded? After all, he has evaded his death sentence in 12 systems. That takes some savvy.

8. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    Bib Fortuna was tricked.

It just has to do with certain species and individual intelligences. Nothing to do with Tatooine.

-Seldon

9. ANAKINSKYWEEZER

ANAKINSKYWEEZER Jedi Master star 3

Feb 18, 2003
    How about: "You don't need to see his identification."

Looks like your theory just lost some steam.

10. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    ^ Storm troopers are not locals on Tatooine so that does not work.

The theory is disproved by Bib Fortuna being tricked.

-Seldon

11. fosh-bantus88

fosh-bantus88 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 27, 2003
    It just happens that the Toydarian and Hutt species are immune to mind tricks, plain and simple.

as we are told...

but it dosent make much sense when you think about it.

12. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    How does it not make sense?
    This has nothing to do with what planet you live on.
    It has to do with your intelligence. Jabba and Watto are both intelligent and the tricks don't work on them. Bib Fortuna and the stormtroopers are not intelligent so the tricks work on them.

The force has a great influence on the weak minded.
    that simple.

-Seldon

13. DarthJohnkenobi

DarthJohnkenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 13, 2004
    Bib Fortuna was tricked.

It just has to do with certain species and individual intelligences. Nothing to do with Tatooine.

No it doesn't, not the species part anyway. Bib Fortuna was tricked but that does not mean all twileks are weak minded. What about Aayla Secura?

14. sweetcaroline

sweetcaroline Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 23, 2004
    They are people who have street smarts and people who have street smarts aren't so easily swayed. They have to be on guard and only take things at face value but at the same time they're a very suspicious lot so mind tricks wouldn't work on them. They always on their guard just in case someone might pull a fast one on them.

15. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    Anyway I think it could be agreed that street smarts and watching money is in the genetic code of certain species. The Watto species is not going to be easily swayed. He is a togerian and mind tricks don't work with him. With other species it is different, some humans can be swayed and others can't. I don't know about Hutts but I'm going to assume that most of them cannot be swayed.

-Seldon

16. DarthJohnkenobi

Aug 13, 2004
    They are people who have street smarts and people who have street smarts aren't so easily swayed. They have to be on guard and only take things at face value but at the same time they're a very suspicious lot so mind tricks wouldn't work on them. They always on their guard just in case someone might pull a fast one on them.

I'm pretty certian this profile fits Bib Fortuna, being the Major Domo to Jabba the Hutt.

The Watto species is not going to be easily swayed. He is a togerian and mind tricks don't work with him

How do you know he wasn't just being arrogant about his species? Oh and it's Toydarian.

17. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    When did anyone ever try to trick Padme in AOTC? Nowhere that I recall.

In any case, no it doesn't really make much sense that certain species would be immune to it. The only possible way I oculd imagine is if their memory functioned in a way that was fundamentally different than those species on which it, by default, works.

However, I wsa under the impression that Jabba was not immune by merit of his species, but of his own mind. Otherwise, why would he scold someone for being incapable of doing the same? That would be like Watto saying "Why don't you fly away you weak-winged fool?" It would be a stupid argument, since someone without wings is physically incapable of doing that. Or if the dianoga scolded someone for not being able to breathe underwater. It would just be completely nonsensical. Jabba would know that he's immune because of his species, and that his majordomo is not for the same reason, and that he really can't fault him for that.

In any case. . .

18. Darth_Howell_III

Darth_Howell_III Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 12, 2002
    You guys forgot one "Tatooine Local" -

Vader.

Luke: (waving hand) "That's why you won't take me to your Emperor now."

No dice, Lukie!

19. DarthJohnkenobi

Aug 13, 2004
    ^^^
    Um, Luke wasn't using the Jedi mind trick on Vader.

20. Dirty-Darth

Dirty-Darth Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 30, 2004
    Im assuming that Toyderians and Hutts have more complex brains that can bypass the effects of a mind trick. This is just what I personally believe whether it be true or not.

21. Mary_Skywalker

Mary_Skywalker Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 2, 2003
    Mind tricks only work on the weak minded. That is why Padme could not be tricked in AOTC. That is why certain humans cannot be tricked.

Where was Padme mind tricked in AotC? Who was moving their hand and making her repeat the force users words?

What about Aayla Secura?

Where was Aayla Secura mind tricked in the movies? Last I checked even if someone tried one on her they probably couldn?t, being that she is a Jedi herself and has high midichlorians. So I don?t think that anyone can pull a mind trick on her.

22. DarthJohnkenobi

Aug 13, 2004
    What about Aayla Secura?

Where was Aayla Secura mind tricked in the movies? Last I checked even if someone tried one on her they probably couldn?t, being that she is a Jedi herself and has high midichlorians. So I don?t think that anyone can pull a mind trick on her.

You should probably read all of my post.

I was pointing out twileks aren't necessarily a "weak minded" species and that Bib Fortuna, not all twileks, was. I used Aayla Secura for the reasons you mentioned. I guess that's what I get for expecting people to comprehend what they read.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.