main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

BC Has anyone ever heard of Williams Lake?/Do you think we say "eh" too much?

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by pixy_girl53, Aug 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pixy_girl53

pixy_girl53 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 28, 2001
    Hi, Pixy here and I was just wondering if anyone has heard of the dirt hole Williams Lake. It sucks there and it is not a lake, it is a pond that contains three eyed-fish and I swear there is something living in there that isn't supposed to be.
    And another thing, do we Canadians say eh that much? I don't think so. And besides, we have good beer and the best beer advertisments in the world.

Okay, I've said my what I needed to say. got an opinion?

2. Admiral_Thrawn60

Admiral_Thrawn60 Jedi Youngling star 6

Jul 8, 2000
    Yeah, I've heard of it. Up north somewhere, eh? No, we don't say eh too much. Good beer, eh? :)

3. YoungJediNiagara

YoungJediNiagara RSA Emeritus FF Canada star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 23, 2001
    I want to know what part of Canada pronounces "about" > "aboot".

I hear the joke on U.S. TV all the time, yet I have NEVER heard it said.

I know we say "eh" a lot...but not "aboot".

4. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    I was watching CNN yesterday, and when they announced Chretien's retirement, the words on the screen were "Aboot time?"

I think it is absurd for a major news network to do something so unprofessional.

No part of the country says "aboot". The only possible explanation is that perhaps they interpret it as "aboot" because of our accent.

5. pixy_girl53

Feb 28, 2001
    No part of Canada says "aboot"! That is just ridiculous that they think that. What I think is extremely bad is when Americans start thinking that we live in igloos and own dog sleds. Some of us might, but Canada isn't extactly all the great white north Americans crack it up to be. And that CNN thing, extremely disrespectful and unprofessional on their part.

HONK IF YOU LOVE BEAVERS!!

6. vaderdude_3

vaderdude_3 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 29, 2002
    Honk

And i agree, in addition to being oblivious to other cultures, americans can be downright stupid.

7. pixy_girl53

Feb 28, 2001
    I AGREE 100%!!! Americans can be down right stupid. In fact, as a whole, they all are. I know a few Americans, and well, not that they're stupid or anything, but they sure as hell are arrogent!! They waste no time making fun of us, so I say, to hell with it all!! I'm gonna make fun of Americans as long as they continue to make fun of us. In other words, this will never end.

My friend by the way, thinks that is a very childish attitude, but I don't care. Maybe there are a lot of wars between peoples because of it, but unless the "almighty" U.S. of A has the nerve to proclaim war against Canada, I feel safe making fun of them.

HONK IF YOU LOVE ZED!!

8. vaderdude_3

vaderdude_3 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 29, 2002
    X FM is better

I think i'll stand by you in the insult war.
    Even though we keep to ourselves, many americans still hate us.

And what's with calling themselves the best country on earth? There's hundreds of countries that have much better control over there people and economy.

BAH!

9. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    I certainly won't argue with you that many Americans can be arrogant, but I will argue that they all are. There are good and bad Americans just as there are good and bad Canadians. There's just a lot more of them because of their culture and the way they are raised. "God bless America! The leader of the free world!" The power has gone to their heads.

We all know that our country has more freedom than the USA in everything but gun control, and that Canadians are more pleasant, mild-mannered people with more respect for other cultures. However, I notice that Canadians don't often show it, because we know it is true. Unlike our neighbours, we don't have to scream it from the tops of buildings like we're compensating for everything. But, I feel that when we are making comments like "every American is stupid and arrogant", we are stooping to their level. I personally know many arrogant Americans, but I also know a few who arn't.

10. pixy_girl53

Feb 28, 2001
    While it is true that not all Americans are arrogent, the nation as a whole is. Maybe we do stoop to their level by bashing them, but they made the first hit. Besides, it's not like we do it to their faces the way they do to us. All we do is make the occasional saractic remark.

11. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    That's true. Just a few days ago, they invaded the Canada General board and tried to start trouble. They soon realized that Canadians are good people, and apologized. I told them to spread the word about Canada when they go back to their country.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.