DFW, TX Has anyone found the LOTR DVD yet ?

Discussion in 'MidSouth Regional Discussion' started by DarthRain, Aug 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kurgan1 Jedi Knight

star 3
    Yeah, that was my thinking as well. Plus, I have no idea how well I'm going to like the extended version (Hey, it might not be as good, you never know), so this one is a sure thing.

And plus, the extras for the current one won't be on the extended version, so if you're a hard-core fan, there's little choice.
  2. Old-Jedi Jedi Master

star 2
    simply the greatest dvd of all time. simply the greatest story ever written.....lucas doesnt hold a candle to the power of PJ.

C'mon Aaron if you're going to make a bold statement like that, back it up. Why is it the greatest DVD of all time? Best story ever written? Peter Jackson has higher lumens than George Lucas? I'm quite interested in what your thought processes were when you made to statements.
  3. Darth_Chocolate Jedi Master

star 3
    Well, if you come to my store, I can give you my employee discount. :)
  4. krwade3 Jedi Knight

star 2
    Brandon most DVDs that I have seen with the Extra material are so much better. As a matter of Fact I have yet to see a DVD That has been uncut that I havent liked more the the cut version. Alies for an Example gave you a better insight to the personal aspect of what there dilemma was really like. Same with Starship Troopers and The six Sense and so on so forth.

LOTR Was Good, but it has been few movies that have been 2 plus hours that felt like it went too fast. This was not one of them. I would have liked to have read the books to have had a better understanding of some of what was going on ,but I did like seeing the crossover from the original hobbit. That was cool seeing something that I saw when I was a wee lad being brought back to life through film.

In closing Stryder is a Bad Mu Fa

Red 5 Out
  5. Old-Jedi Jedi Master

star 2
    Well, if you come to my store, I can give you my employee discount.

Sorry Mike I could not in all good conscience enter a Bankbuster store, I'd have to give up my Greenpeace card, my ACLU card and my PETA card(for chicks). That and the fact I'd burst into flames if I set foot in one. Thanks anyway, why don't you make the offer to Branson, rumor has it he has no scruples whatsoever.

KRW I have one question what is "Alies"? Is it a typo for Aliens? What's your guess Branson?
  6. Kurgan1 Jedi Knight

star 3
    I'm sure that's what he meant, Tim. :)

And Kenley, I would normally agree with that idea, however, I recently saw the Legend extended cut and I must say that I really do prefer the shorter one with the more ethereal score. The extra scenes just dragged the film down and took away a lot of the magic, IMO.

That's the only one I can think of, however. Hopefully the extended cut of Fellowship will fall into the category of James Cameron director's cuts (ie. tons better).
  7. krwade3 Jedi Knight

star 2
    DAMIT THATS WHAT I MEANT....

Sheez
  8. RayParkFan Jedi Padawan

Well Tim and the rest....

Tolkien was ahead of his time and without his genius works such as The Hobbit, LOTR, The Sim, Books of Lost Tales, Roverdam, and others there would be no D and D, Harry Potter, further brilliance of Star Wars or any other work of fantasy. He touched everyone that has delve into this field. The Don of Oxford should be respected by all...not to mention that LOTR was deemed BOOK OF THE TWENTIETH CENTURY. hmmm.....yes it was. I won't fail to mention that Tolkien was deemed as well THE AUTHOR OF THE TWENTIETH CENTURY. One hundred years of books and in the entire world we live in he was the best. Tolkien will always be the best....nuff said. He's been gone 29 years (rest his soul) and he still rakes in more than 12 million a year. He took it upon himself to create England a mytholigical world that they had none of before he wrote of hobbits (who have the most killer life-style). Twenty-eight languages were made for Middle-Earth and all are fully functional. Does anyone know who created the stereotypes of dwarves, elves, and etc? You guessed it, my fanforce friends. I will say on a personal note that without Tolkien, I would not be on my current path of life writing my own fantasy novel. Though I will not always follow the genre to a T...I still will pay homage to him. PJ did a brilliant job with his labor of LOTR and is a unique director. I could only hope for such a director when my novel hits the big screen and yes it shall. Here is my two cents..take them for all its worth...I have spoken.

I love Mirza
  9. Kurgan1 Jedi Knight

star 3
    Yes, indeed he was a visionary, and the father of modern fantasy. However, I do not agree with the sentiment that he is the best author of our time. Did he pave the way for the future? Absolutely. But his writing style is still difficult to follow and his sense of building drama left much to be desired. Simply because something is old and has an established following does not mean that it is perfect. I don't care what organization says he's the best ever. It's probably the same kind of organization that said A Beautiful Mind was the best movie of last year. Organizations and official 'lists' are made of and by people. And people can only have opinions on such matters.

My whole point in all of this is that while Tolkien's contributions to modern fantasy and storytelling cannot be denied, he was not the end all and be all of writing like some make him out to be. Again, Tolkien was a linguist and a historian, not a novelist. He may be some people's favorite, and that's cool, but if you're going to make a statement saying 'greatest of all time', you'd better be prepared to defend that, because I have read many authors' work that I consider far superior to Tolkien.
  10. Old-Jedi Jedi Master

star 2
    Aaron you have some interesting points about JRRT, but let's take your original points and go through them.

Simply the greatest DVD of all time-That is my first point of contention with your statement. What is it about this DVD that makes it superior to all others? What's so cutting edge that has not been done before? Technically it's nice, on my progressive scan DVD player and large screen, but nothing I haven't seen before. Shoot the movie on the disc doesn't even come with DTS sound which to my ears sound much better, no matter what others say. What so special about the special features considering that so much of them have been seen before on Fox, Sci-Fi, and lordoftherings.net. Not much new there. Now things may get better in the next release, but I'll take a wait and see attitude. I think it is universally acknowledged that the Toy Story Toybox is the greatest DVD produced so far.

The Greatest Story Ever Written- sounds like a B-grade biblical title ;) According to whom, and what was the criteria? I agree somewhat with Branson in this regard. I read several of Tolkien's books (which geek hasn't) in school, and yes they hold a special place on my bookshelf, but so do Sinclair, Lewis, Capote, Clavell, Mitchner, Harris, Rawlings, Dickens, et.al. If you have true aspirations to write, perhaps you should have a more rounded reading list. You seek out books and experiences that provide ideas. As you know Tolkien wrote LOTR in response to his experiences in WWI

Lucas doesn't hold a candle to PJ
    In your opinion, the box office disagrees with you however. Peter Jackson and other directors are working with tools that Lucas and ILM have been creating since 1976. I'd need to see more of a body of work from Jackson before I'd make a statement like that.

Goodluck with the writing.
  11. krwade3 Jedi Knight

star 2
    Who is Tolkien??? ?[face_plain]

:D:p

But seriously you typing alot but I cant see a thing. Being dead has an effect on ones work that living cant do. See what makes his work so great is the fact that he isnt alive to mess it up. I have never read a Tolkien book in my life that I can recall. And that goes for most people as well. I have yet to see the greatest DVD yet,because I have yet to see things that I want on the DVD. Like for an example: The angle function is available now with the use of DVD's. Why not make a DVD that can be watched from a completely different angle through out and not at certain parts.

And one up for you on the Audio OLD GUY.

Red 5 Out
  12. DarthRain Jedi Knight

star 1
    :mad:

I'm still waiting for a response from IanMckellenFan1.

Now THERE'S a real straight shooter.

[face_mischief]
  13. RayParkFan Jedi Padawan

End-of-the-millennium polls crowned J.R.R. Tolkien as "the most influential author of the century" and named his saga The Lord of the Rings as "the book of the century." Former Oxford don Tom Shippey concurs, and he examines Tolkien's masterpiece (and The Hobbit) as an ever-expanding mythological and cultural map to our times. According to Shippey, Tolkien's popularity and critical appeal owe much to his deep immersion in linguistics and philology. This fascinating study places a classic in a new light.

www.bn.com
  14. Kurgan1 Jedi Knight

star 3
    Aaron, you are dodging the questions. Again, you are talking about some people's opinions. I don't care if it's an Oxford professor or some random guy off the street. It's still just an opinion, and you need to list your reasons, not just a list of people that say you're right.
  15. krwade3 Jedi Knight

star 2
  16. Darth_Chocolate Jedi Master

star 3
    Motion granted. All in favor say "I".

I
  17. krwade3 Jedi Knight

star 2
  18. DarthRain Jedi Knight

star 1
    I

...don't get ME started...
  19. DarthRain Jedi Knight

star 1
    Wow....

Ray's birthday came and went

and no mention...

scary
  20. RayParkFan Jedi Padawan

Guess some of us have been dealing with getting a higher education and work..not to mention a novel in progress to worry about such things as celebs bdays and what-not....
  21. DarthRain Jedi Knight

star 1
    mmmmmmm....yeeeaahh

ok

oh well

gotta move onto bigger and better things I guess...

SAY...does anybody know where I can get an autograph of a long dead author tattooed on my body for the rest of my life ??

just curious
  22. Darth_Chocolate Jedi Master

star 3
    LOL Chad!! [face_laugh]

No, but I have a hair on my ass you can have for $20... :D
  23. RayParkFan Jedi Padawan

You can probably find one at the same place where you can have the corners of a beard shaved down to look like the artist-with-a-symbol-who-no-longer-is-the-symbol-now-back-to-his-original-name-once-again. Or that place that has a tux made of denim and rhinestones all over it....i dunno...worth a shot.
  24. Old-Jedi Jedi Master

star 2
    Play nice boys, or I'll stop and turn this board around right now and go back home.

Yoday is 9/11 we should be contemplating on more uplifting things.

Anyway more uplifting than an Oxford Don who wrote about fairies(not Branson), elves(again not Branson) or trolls(...never mind) and a has-been 80's pop who I find as interesting as Mike's butt hair.
  25. DarthRain Jedi Knight

star 1
    Ummm...let's see....

I haven't had a beard in a couple of years....

I wore that tux 1 time in 1988

and a tattoo lasts FOREVER !!!!!

Unlike every one of your past several relationships !

Oh...but I forgot...

If your "relationship" doesn't work out....you can always steal another one.

C'mon guys...sheathe the claws or take it elsewhere. Topic locked.

Brian

/>
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.