main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

has anyone heard the radio dramas for the original trilogy?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by dark_jedi, Oct 19, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dark_jedi

dark_jedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 10, 2001
    I like the way the plot is presented in the radio dramas better than in the actual movies. Plus it has a lot of the scenes that were in the novel but not in the movies.

2. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Yeah. ANH is the best one IMO. I mean the character of Han and his journey from scoundral to hero is almost completely different than its shown in the movie (we won't even get started on ANH:SE). I like the radio Han much better. Much more character growth there.

Same goes for R2-D2. He's actually got purpose - willing to murder anyone who gets in his way, even the innocent droids and Jedi Masters - to achieve his goal.

Leia. The whole thing with Tion shows a lot more about her true character and what she had to go through as well.

Everything. The ANH radio is gold, pure gold.

Much moreso than ESB and ROTJ ones IMO.

3. Kier_Nimmion

Kier_Nimmion Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 9, 2000

I have heard A New Hope and Empire, and yes, A New Hope is the best. I think the Return of the Jedi adaptation is only six episodes, not twelve like the others. They were produced by NPR and can be bought in stores.

4. Vergere

Vergere Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 19, 2000
    i've only heard parts of them. there was an internet radio station that played them constantly for a while...i don't know if it's still up though.

5. RogueJaina

RogueJaina Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 6, 2001
    ANH was the best.

You can listen to all three of them online:

www.geocities.com/scenebyscene/

You can use the search to find the drama you want, then spend several hours listening to the whole thing!

6. Binary_Sunset

Binary_Sunset Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2000
    Genghis12 wrote: "I mean the character of Han and his journey from scoundral to hero is almost completely different than its shown in the movie (we won't even get started on ANH:SE). I like the radio Han much better. Much more character growth there.

Same goes for R2-D2. He's actually got purpose - willing to murder anyone who gets in his way, even the innocent droids and Jedi Masters - to achieve his goal."

Hmmm. I recently listened to the SW radio drama, but I didn't notice these things. How is Han's transformation "completely different"? In both the film and the radio drama, Han is a scoundrel the whole way through until he comes roaring in in the Falcon to save Luke from Vader. Also, what droids and Jedi Masters was R2-D2 willing to murder? I completely missed that. :confused:

7. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Binary...
    As far as Han goes - he was solely interested in the money and was going to leave everyone. It was Chewbaaca who made him realize that he should go back and help the Rebellion. I think it shows how deep the bond between the two of them are and that Han was completely willing to turn against his nature to go along with Chewie. In the movie, he's rather a "nice," trash-talking jester. In the radio drama, he starts out rather cold-hearted and really warms up.

R2 of course trashes R5-D4 by sabotaging his motivator in the radio drama because he saw that as the only way to go on with his mission. R5-D4 is both a droid and possibly a Jedi Master rife with midichloroxians. ;)

8. Mateo

Mateo Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 22, 2001
    I have the ROTJ and ESB version's and both are awesome, i heard the ANH version and Luke even asks old Ben Kenobi if there are any other jedi left and ben says yes but none are willing to help us.

9. Master Chbel

Master Chbel Jedi Padawan star 4

May 6, 2000
    I heard ANH and ESB when they were first released. I've never heard ROTJ--it wasn't aired where I lived. The local NPR station didn't air it.

10. Binary_Sunset

Oct 28, 2000
    Thanks for the reply, Genghis12! I see where you are coming from on Han. I think that it is not so much a difference in the way he is portrayed in the film and the radio drama; it is more the case that the latter goes into more detail. In any case, you gotta love how Daley handles Han, both in the radio drama and in his three books! (Didn't I see you post somewhere that Daley's three Han books are your favorite SW novels? After SotME, they are my favorite too.)

Regarding R2: I must admit that I completely forgot about that part.

Thanks again for the info!

11. kaijueiga

kaijueiga Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 17, 2001
    The ANH and TESB radio dramas were good , and in many ways offers more background and expansion in the characters and the stories than the movies and in some cases, the movie tie-ins and the comic TPBs. It's too bad they (NPR?) cut corners on the ROTJ.

12. Zee Zee

Zee Zee Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 19, 1999
    I also enjoy the Radio Dramas more than the films - I've just finished listening to ANH for the upteenth time. It still srongly believe the missing scenes from Toshi MUST be reinserted into ANH.
    Notice how the SFX for the Hoppers in the Beggars Canyon race were the same noises for the Podrace in TPM? even though the Radio plays were made around 1993!

13. Tiershon_Fett

Tiershon_Fett Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    I listened to ANH live in 84 or 85 on NPR, with Mark Hamill and it was so cool.

14. UCLAJediMaster

UCLAJediMaster Jedi Master star 4

Feb 16, 2001
    i freaking love the radio dramas.. kind of sucks though because my roomates hate it when i put them i on... they get annoyed. i love to go to sleep by them though.

the extra scenes are awesome and the added character development is great.

15. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    I've heard most of ANH and one episode of ROTJ and, though they were well-written, explained a lot, and had some good acting, Leia did WAY too much heavy breathing in normal conversation. And every time I hear "Lord Vader, is everything all..." "NO! GET OUT!" I bust up laughing.

16. Binary_Sunset

Oct 28, 2000
    That's true about the heavy breathing and also about the sounds the radio drama Leia makes when exerting herself (such as in the trash compactor). When listening to the tapes, my wife and I looked at each other and said, "That sounds like sex."

17. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    I can't get into the debate as to which is the best as I've only heard RoTJ, which is the only one I own.

18. dark_jedi

Oct 10, 2001
    I also love to fall asleep listening to the radio dramas. I hope they do them again for Episodes I, II, III.

19. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    The heavy breathing, both in the trash compactor and in the torture scene (Especially "Vader, get that thing away from me!" "Hold still, you little fool! There is no escape!") sounds vaguely, well, naughty.

20. Asyr Handor

Asyr Handor Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 11, 1999
    I love the audio dramas. Great stuff. :D

21. Mateo

Mateo Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 22, 2001
    I love how Mara Jade was put into the ROTJ radio drama as a dancer in disguise waiting for Luke Skywalker to arrive so she could kill him when he got to Jabba's palace, shes very paranoid talking to Threepio about luke.

22. dark_jedi

Oct 10, 2001
    i hope they do them for the new movies as well

23. ParanoidAni-droid

ParanoidAni-droid Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2001

Am I crazy, or can't you get these in print? For some reason I thought you could... and if you can't, you most certianly should be able to! Now I have an itching craving to find those fossils!

24. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    Del Rey released each one in script form, along with interviews with the cast and crew. It also includes a lot of dialogue that didn't make the final cut.

Interestingly, different versions of the radio dramas were in fact released. I got a CD set with ANH and ESB, and a few of the cut lines were actually re-inserted into ANH. Off the top of my head, it was Leia talking to her father about walking through the Alderaan wilderness before arriving at the palace, and Luke and Ben talking about various small things in his home on Tatooine.

There was also a Trilogy release of the 3 radio dramas, with a bonus disc of interviews and such ( $ 120 anyone? ) I've seen this in stores about twice in my life, so far, and a couple times on eBay. I tried e-mailing the eBay winner about making me a cassette of the bonus disc material, but never recieved a reply. The stinky Jawa!

25. ForceAlly

ForceAlly Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 4, 2001
    As a matter of fact, I bought this collector's CD box with 30% off a few years ago. And here is the rundown of the bonus materials of the RotJ radio drama:

In disc 1:
    Comments of Anthony Daniels
    Comments of Joshua Fardon (Luke)
    Comments of Perry King (Han)
    Comments of John Madden (Director)

In disc 2:
    Speederbike chase, dialogue only
    Speederbike chase, complete
    NPR membership spot: Comlink
    NPR membership spot: Fair Compensation

In disc 3:
    A message for Brian (The one included in Daniels' intro to RotJ NPR Script)

I can convert these tracks to MP3 files. So if there is anyone willing to lend me some ftp or web space, I am more than willing to upload these files there.

Edit: I ordered it at Amazon.com. But it seems that it is out of stock now....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.