main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Has anyone here beaten Star Wars for NES

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by LukeEatsBacon, Jan 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LukeEatsBacon

LukeEatsBacon Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 6, 2003
    I've been playing this game lately and have decided even god couldn't beat it. If anyone here has, tips would be appreciated.

2. DarthBobbalot

DarthBobbalot Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2002
    You mean the one that they made for gameboy also? Where are you stuck?

3. LukeEatsBacon

Jan 6, 2003
    I'm not sure if they made it for Gameboy, but the NES starts out in the landspeeder and you go into caves to attain guns, lightsaber, and R2 for the first part of the game.

Where I am stuck-
    Right after you beat the monster in the trash compactor, the game just gets impossible. I heard a few years back that you can get straight to the death star from mos eisley cantina but I cant remember how.

4. DarthBobbalot

Mar 5, 2002
    i think you do go to the ds after escaping in the millenium falcon... atleast you do in the gb version... where exactly are you after you beat the little beast? Its been a few years since i played it.

5. LukeEatsBacon

Jan 6, 2003
    Its a place with a lot of electrified spikes and those elevator type things you jump into.

6. DarthBobbalot

Mar 5, 2002
    Oh. There... Well... its been a while since ive played that, and it is for the Gameboy by the way... If you havent Rescued Leia yet, you need to go to the utmost right i think, then down. The second to the last elevator at the right should take you down there and it will have a health thing down there.

7. aguywithabiggun

aguywithabiggun Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 1999
    Hell no I havent beaten it. Its IMPOSSIBLE

8. DarthBobbalot

Mar 5, 2002
    ill tell you whats impossible.... EMPIRE STRIKES BACK!!! THAT game was impossible... and whats worse is that you couldnt save it or have any passcodes that would allow you to start up at a certain point.... I mean if you jumped in the wrong part and landed in a electrical thingie, you died. And had to start the level over that took you about an hour to get that far anyway... I remember getting to Vader once at teh very end and dying... THAT pissed me off...

9. DarthMak

DarthMak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 4, 2001
    I never beat Star Wars for NES. Getting through the asteroid field was a pain in the asteroid field.

I have beaten the game on Game Boy, but I never could find Leia. So she died when the Death Star blew up. :(

Empire Strikes Back? Now that was hard. I couldn't get past the 1st Dagobah level.

10. icqfreak

icqfreak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 7, 1999
    I had a guide book for the nes version and controller with turbo buttons, that really helped. The asteroid level is probably one of the hardest levels of the game.

11. aguywithabiggun

aguywithabiggun Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 1999
    I couldn't get past the 1st Dagobah level

lol me either

12. LukeEatsBacon

Jan 6, 2003
    I read somewhere that you can bypass the asteroid level on the NES version. You have to kill the third Greedo in the Cantina and the run through a wall or something. I can find leia, and after you get her you eventually have to fight the monster in the garbager compactor. The part is easily beaten with the use of a lightsaber, however the next level cannot be beaten. I don't think the game was designed to be beaten. And when I die there it says, on the continue screen, that I've only completed 50% of the game. Ridiculous I tell ya...

13. DarthBobbalot

Mar 5, 2002
    The first time in the Millenium Falcon, is easy as pie... All you need to do is go to one of the corners of the screen and just sit there. Every once in a while some rogue asteroid comes, but if you have lots of shields, or even just a couple, it only takes off maybe 2.

14. AWB1989

AWB1989 Jedi Master star 5

Jul 3, 2002
    i dunno about the NES versions, but i played the series for SNES

i almost beat star wars, but i was stuck on the second part of the last level on the trench run thingie

i got to the vader fight in empire strikes back and didn't beat him

i beat return of the jedi, that was the easiest of the three (duh, it's the only one i beat! :p )

so i dunno if the games are different for NES and SNES but that's how i did with the games for SNES.

Aaron

15. PrinceXizor

PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 4, 2001
    I beat it. Very touh, but beatable, unlike Empire, where I never got past Dagobah's first level either. (I just saw "Vader" once).

For those who can't get past the asteroid field,be sure you first get 8 shields for the MF. You can find them in two caves and in DB94. I suggest going to the cave with the slugs. You can go in, pick up the shield, go to the exit, and re-enter the cave to get the shield again. Do that eight times and you're all set for the asteroid field and the other 'space' missions.

Anyway... The trick for beating the 'trash diposal facility' is... Well... IIRC, jump correctly... :p

Next level's the toughest and REAL hard. Here's the way I think is the 'easiest' to beat it. Select Luke, get past the first two troopers, then use the upward shaft. Once you get to the 'floating' platform (not the ones below near the spikes), switch to Leia. Jump over to the next platform, where a Stormtrooper gunner is shooting on the other side of a crate. Switch to Han. Timing your jump correctly, jump over him, and 'fall' in the upward shaft. Then fly between the two platforms, and blast the trooper walking there before he has the time to turn around and shoot you. Switch to Luke. Jump to the right as far as you can to the upward shaft. Once you're 'flying' upward, and after a while, leave it on the left in order to avoid the spikes in the ceiling and land on the platform on the left. A gunner is waiting you. Switch to Leia, avoid the fire, jump over him, and use the next upward shaft. Once up there, switch to Han, and jump on the patforms from the left to the right until you reach a ladder. Climb it down. Down there you can switch to Luke and his magic tool to slice the trooper. Switch back to Han for the trickiest part of the level, IMO. Jump over the gunner into the upward shaft, and mid to three-fourth into it, leave it on the right, and using you momentum, get to the next upward shaft, and repeat this last trick to get to the floor on the right (phew). No, unfortunately, it's not over. Switch back to Luke. Take the upward shaft on the right, and keep going to the very top, and on the small space on the left. Wait till the trooper has gone under you, and then get down one eve and strike him down. Move on to the left, and switch to Han once you're in sight of the big droid. Jump over it, but watch for the low spiky ceiling. Then up the next shaft, move on the right, land, and dispatch the few opponents there with either Han or Luke (I don't remember what they're - there might be a bounty hunter and a gunner among them). Then keep going right until you - finally - get to the Falcon.

The rest of the game is actually rather fun, and quite beatable. The only difficutly is I think the trench run (and be sure to fire at the right time when to hit with the proton torps, or you'll have to go through the maze again), and the x-wing battle vs the TIEs which lasts a loooong time, but isn't very hard in itself. (You can equip your pad with something to hold down the fire button, it makes things easier. ;) )

16. DarthBobbalot

Mar 5, 2002
    And for the asteroid field just stay in a corner...

17. Sith Bane

Sith Bane Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 14, 1999
    I beat it too, once you know how to take certain obstacles, it´s a piece of cake. (then again, I played it a lot when I still played on my NES, don´t really play it anymore, so I could fail miserably when I try to beat it, now)

18. tenorjedi

tenorjedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 17, 2000
    I owned and beat all the super star wars games. The flying ending to RotJ was a pain in the arse. The old old nintendo games, I don't remember if I played them all the way through or not.

19. Terra

Terra Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 25, 2000
    I remember I beat Super ROTJ and couldn't even get past Mos Eisley when I had SW on Gameboy and SNES, LOL - I was very young though.

20. Drew_Atreides

Drew_Atreides Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    ...i had the gameboy version of "Star Wars"..

That game WAS freakin' impossible.. And it's non-liner (sort of) structure made things kinda strange... Interesting, but strange..

I think i made it to the death star trying to save Leia ONE time... And got completely lost..

That was back in the day when, if you didn't buy some form of strategy guide for games, you were pretty much screwed.... :)

21. LukeEatsBacon

Jan 6, 2003
    Actually I think older games were more beatable without strategy guides. Nowadays...games dont involve the same kind of attained skill the older games of NES had. Take the first Mario for example...any person who has thumbs could beat that game after playing it enough times. Of course there are three exceptions to the old play it till ya beat it NES rule:
    Gauntlet 2
    Star Wars
    Image Fight

22. LukeEatsBacon

Jan 6, 2003
    I got to the second level where you fly the Millenium Falcon against the Tie Fighters....it was pretty tough...im still not giving up...

23. SithShadow

SithShadow Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 18, 2001
    I got Star Wars for SNES because i heard it was good. I couldn't get past the Jawa Sandcrawler and thats because i suck.

24. DarthBobbalot

Mar 5, 2002
    I dont know why all of you are complaining about that game... At a max, i played it a week and beat it. All you need to do is get better aquianted with the levels and what you need to do. I never needed a strategy guide once. I beat it on my own. And thats when i found out the glory that was star wars! I loved star wars indefinately after that...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.