main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Has anyone here successfully immigrated to the United States before?

Discussion in 'Archive: Your Jedi Council Community' started by Spider-Fan, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2008
    I ask because I am curious how much difficulty you faced in trying to move there on a permanent basis. I have been looking around to find the simplest method of accomplishing this, and it seems that there just isn't one. So I am wondering how other people have managed.

2. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    I immigrated from my mom's vaginor into the U S of A.

3. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Obviously I have not, but I did see this a while ago that may be useful.
    http://immigrationroad.com/green-card/immigration-flowchart-roadmap-to-green-card.php

4. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005
    Looking at that flow chart, I can't imagine why anyone would think its easier to risk life and limb crossing the desert into this country.

James, I suggest you brave the frozen tundra of the North*. No one's worried about you people.

*Since I know you're watching, fedarales, I'm just (mostly) kidding.

5. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    The last immigrants in my family were my Norwegian great grandparents about 110 years ago. I'll ask them about the process next time I get a chance.

6. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    Just sneak over here and knock some girl up for the anchor baby. Just don't try this strategy in Alabama.

7. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    If you're serious about it, look into getting an immigration attorney. It will cost you, but it maximizes your chances of getting a green card.

Do you have relatives or any other connections anywhere in the US?

8. Spider-Fan

Jul 15, 2008
    Yes I do have friends and family there in various parts of the country.

9. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Go to Kansas, find an elderly couple who can't have children, then mock-up a crashed space-capsule and stick it smack in the middle of the road to their farm. Burst out of it, say "Momma, Dadda" winningly, and hey presto, you're an American. It's an old trick, but it just might work. I suggest a shave and some botox injections first, though.

10. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Didn't JM22 immigrate to the US? Too bad he's not around these days. :p

11. Darth_Vaders_Sock

Darth_Vaders_Sock Jedi Master star 2

May 10, 2009
    I'm interested in this subject too- I've seen a couple of job openings in a field that I'm studying.

Good grief the process doesn't look half complicated though.

12. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    <--- Part Choctaw, so piss off!

EDIT -- And then some of my family immigrated here against their will back around 1760.
    [image=http://data2.collectionscanada.gc.ca/ap/c/c070232k.jpg]
    Vive l'Acadie!

13. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    I think the last of my ancestors to get here arrived in the mid 1860s, so I'm no help. :(

14. SithGirl132

SithGirl132 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 6, 2005
    I'd recommend a good immigration attorney also- I was adopted internationally and brought into the US, and even doing things through all the proper legal channels leaves entertaining problems. You really do need an attorney to get things done correctly, and it will be a long process coming in as an adult.

If you have family and friends, it's definitely easier. That and having a job. It's a ton of work, and keeping papers in order is a nightmare no matter what. Good luck!

15. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    GG-Grandparents immigrated from CSA to USA.
    Or my father who crossed the Berlin wall illegally from DDR to BDR. Ended up in USA, then Texas, then Canada.

16. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I know a few people (UK and Ireland citizens) that did it. However it was around 20 years ago - well before 9/11. All of them were helped by the company I was with at the time (air freight firm) as they worked in the UK data center and they transferred to the US data center. Since the company helped it took care of hiring the immigration lawyers.

I went the opposite way - US to UK - with the same company in the late '80s. Again they hired an immigration firm to ease my passage. I applied for and got indefinite leave to remain after 4 years here.

If you're in a job that has a US office I'd see if you can do anything through the company.

17. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Oh! Oh! Pick me!!!

It was quite simple, since my family did all of the actual work for my toddler self. However, I went through the process of semi-reversal, since I applied for dual citizenship with Ireland as an adult. We fled the Troubles/civil strife which came as a result of British colonialism. So, I live in 2 former British colonies.

18. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    When I became eligible to apply for UK citizenship, American citizens couldn't have dual nationality. They can now but I haven't applied.

19. EMPEROR_WINDU

EMPEROR_WINDU Force Ghost star 5

Nov 23, 2002
    Legal immigration I'd be no help on, but we do have like 5,000 miles of unguarded border so you could just walk on in :rolleyes:

20. Ostrich_Stapler

Ostrich_Stapler Jedi Master star 5

Jul 9, 2004
    I have a fair number of friends who did greencard marriages so unless you're considering that I can't help much. :p A few of them border-hopped too so maybe I could help you with that.

21. Spider-Fan

Jul 15, 2008
    Well I would prefer to establish residency without having to resort to marriage for a number of reasons. And it was my understanding that a spouse of a "green-card marriage" may not work during the first year of marriage and a career is part of the reason I am exploring the move in the first place.

22. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Bring home er troops and put 'em on the borders to keep out the browns!

And the Canadians.

23. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    I moved to the US from Canada when I was in the 11th grade. Visa, green card, and youre set.

I haven't got around to taking the citizenship test though. But I've lived here as a legal resident since 2000.

24. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    "Resort to?"

I will have you know that American maidens have a good deal more to offer than expedited visa applications, thank you.

25. TahiriVeilaSolo69

TahiriVeilaSolo69 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 27, 2002
    It has taken my Uncle nearly 7 years to get his citizenship :p and my Grandmother STILL isn't an American citizen even though she has been here since 1957. My other Grandmother didn't become an American citizen until 196something when she had to give up her Italian citizenship in order to be able to stay here. I recommend the immigration attorney (as stated above) and having family and friends here is definitely a plus (I dunno if they still have sponsors anymore...). I recommend dual citizenship like Myke and I have (Ireland ftw)!