main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Has anyone noticed there are no scheduled guests yet?

Discussion in 'FanForce Conventions' started by bigfatpig, Dec 2, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigfatpig

bigfatpig Jedi Youngling

Dec 2, 2001
    How can you plan a Convention with no speakers? Seems kinda odd, and suspicious to me. If they don't have "Good" speakers booked by now, I wouldn't hold out much hope.
    It feels like this this is a bigger money making scheme than the last one. Anybody feel the same?

2. Shara

Shara Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 4, 2000
    There will be plenty that will be there. They just haven't posted them yet. I don't know for sure, but I bet they will start posting who is scheduled to be there sometime after the beginning of the year. That's just my guess though.

3. bigfatpig

bigfatpig Jedi Youngling

Dec 2, 2001
    I understand that, but do you really want to pay all that money, wait in all those lines to see an actor who was in 15 seconds of one of the movies? Or wrote the official handbook? The only way I wouold go is if they got REAL guests like Carrie Fisher, Mark Hamil, Ewan McGreggor, and other characters that people actully care about. They could do it, they just don't want to pay the money those A list actors would want. But as you all know, you have to spend money to make money. Get a few A listers in there, and they woudl have the biggest convention of any kind ever, save for an Elvis or Beatles convention.

4. MysterySith

MysterySith MEPA Founder/Advisor FF NYC, NY star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 17, 2000
    I heard they will be making announcements in Feb. on the guests.

Guest are only a small part of the reason I am going to Celebration.

5. whojedi

whojedi Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 14, 2001
    Exactly MysterySith, if you only want to go to see "A" list actors, then don't go, that is not what the Celebration is about. It's about being able to do a variety of things in one place that you would never be able to see otherwise and to interact with other fans who same the same interest as you. If you go in only looking forward to one specific thing, then odds are you will be disappointed and you won't enjoy the best parts of the Celebration!!!

Hope you still go, it's going to be great!!!

6. bigfatpig

bigfatpig Jedi Youngling

Dec 2, 2001
    Of course there is more than guests,and seeing real stuff is ok ( some people are into that, and that is fine). I just feel if your going to have an official Celebration, for fans. And you expect them to come from all over the country ( if not world), Give them the very best, not just enough to make people happy, and appreciate the silver lining of things. For as loyal as fans are to Star Wars, they should offer something that is above and beyond the expectations of a normal con, Especially after the disappointment of the last one.
    Why is teh expectation of the new SW movie so high, yet the cons' so low?
    If seeing props, listening to drab speakers, paying high prices for food and gifts, and meating other star wars fans, is all you expect, then it will be great. I'm afraid, I want more than that, and I don't think there is anything wrong with that.

7. Mos_Eisleian_Radio

Mos_Eisleian_Radio Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2000
    I think it's a little early to make judgments since the guest list has not been announced yet. The only one that's really definite is Peter Mayhew since he's stated that he'll be there. I think they've got some cool things up their sleeves. We'll just have to wait and see.

Having said that, the thing I'm looking forward to the most is partying with friends, some of which I will meeting for the first time, others that I only get to see a few times a year.

Phil

8. Shara

Dec 4, 2000
    Well some of those really popular people, like Ewan or Harrison, probably have better things to do to come to a Con, even Celebration. There's just no way you could get someone like Harrison Ford to a SW Con.

Having said that, almost anyone else might be there. You just can't make judgement calls just a few weeks after the tickets go on sale. Just wait and see. We may all be pleasantly surprised.

9. ShiraBrie

ShiraBrie Jedi Youngling

Nov 28, 2001
    I'm not surprised that guests aren't posted yet. I've been to several cons where guests were added up to nearly the last minute. There's still plenty of time to start posting the guest list. Besides, I'm going for a variety of reasons. Big-time guests will just be a bonus. They'd have to screw up in a major way for me to be disappointed. :)

10. bigfatpig

bigfatpig Jedi Youngling

Dec 2, 2001
    I hope they do get good guests. It just seems very odd that they would sell tickets with out post ANYBODY, or really any real specifics. I guess I'm just very suspicious because I went to the last one, spent money I didn't have to get there, and caught namonia, and saw nothing worth the trip (Except Ray Park, and the art team, that was by far the best thing).
    Also, they could get Harrison Ford, or Ewan. Everybody has a price. And since this isn't a annual thing, they may go for it. However, I highly doubt Wizards woudl put up the money. But I pose this question to you all. Would you rather see a bunch of actors who played characters like Lobot, Dack, Ackbar, ect. or a few actors who played signifagant roles, who never do conventions, but desided to do it this one time, and answer purley SW questions?
    I'd take a Harrison Ford over 100 lobots anyday.
    Meeting friends is cool too, but you could do that at any con. My expectations are based simply on the unique occasion.
    I hope it is at least 20% better than the last one.

11. Shara

Dec 4, 2000
    Well, if you've done any homework on ICC, like I've said many times in many posts, it's going to be a ton better than last time. Why? Well for one, everything is enclosed. There will not be any of these lines outside. Secondly, it's the 25th anniversary, so there are going go be more than just AotC stars there. third, LFL and WotC have grown from their past experiences. They do care what we, the fans, have to say. But they can't do everything.

Wizards of the Coast couldn't get Harrison Ford. LFL could. But he has better things to do..and like I said in the post I just made in that poll thread, people like Harrison, Ewan, Liam, or Natalie did not gain their career from Star Wars. Like Ewan, Star Wars is just another movie.

So please be realistic. C2 is going to be a lot better than last time, but just don't go there expecting all of the big name actors to be there. I'm not saying it's not going o happen, but the chances of it are slim.

12. bigfatpig

bigfatpig Jedi Youngling

Dec 2, 2001
    If the price was right, they could get anybody. Trust me. My point is, they wouldn't pay it.
    It has very little to do with whether or not they have the time. IT's about the money.
    I have high expectations, because I know it's not supposed to be an average con. And honestly, we all know there are two types of people, people who go to cons and really dig them, and those who don't ( like myself). The "Celebration", isn't called a con because they are trying to get people like me to go, which they did last time. Inside or outside, it was just an average con. To get people like me back out there, they need to make the extra effort, and advertise it. That's my point. It is supposed to be more than a con, but it has failed to show that it is anything more than a con. Anyway, I have to go to work. Have fun if you go.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.