main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Has Anyone Watched SW in HD yet?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by harrison13, Nov 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. harrison13

harrison13 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 18, 2004
    I have all the movies channels and i noticed all the Star Wars movies are now playing in HD and I do not have the right tv or box so can anyone tell me how it is ?

2. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    It's on cinemax, and I heard that you gotta have service throught comcast to get it in HD. I have service through cox communications, and they don't seem to have it in HD.

3. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    Apparently you don't actually have to have Comcast unless you want to watch it on Demand.

4. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    I was referring to having SW in HD, not the on-demand capability. It's no matter to me anyways, since I don't have HD service yet.

5. Boba16

Boba16 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 18, 2006
    I watched ROTS many times on HBO HD, and then compared it to my ROTS DVD, and it is definitely better, but not enough where it blows you away, and I think many people are getting to hyped for HD-DVD's.

DVD's were great cause it was such a leap from VHS & Laserdisk, you didn't have to rewind because of VHS anymore, you didn't have to flip the disk like Laserdisk anymore, and the quality was such a leap, it was really a different experience to the viewer.

HD-DVD compared to DVD is better, but for me, IMO, it aint worth it, cause it is not THAT much better, and I think I will be genuinely satisfied with my DVD's for the rest of my life. For anyone who has surround sound it is like comparing DTS to Dolby Digital 5.1, DTS is better, but I wouldn't rebuy any of my movies in DTS just because of it. I really think a majority of fans will be happy with DVD, and I think HD-DVD will become a niche market like Laserdisk.

6. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    The recent Force-cast said that apparently they misread the press release and that Steve Sansweet himself says as long as you have Cinemax HD and a HD TV you should get the HD signal during the scheduled run of the films.

7. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    I see. I already have an HDTV, but my flatmate and I aren't gonna get HD service until he buys his new tv for the living room.

8. JimMorrison

JimMorrison Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 14, 2002
    Heads up :-B

Duke over at http://www.millenniumfalcon.com has been posting high def screencaps from A New Hope all week.

http://www.millenniumfalcon.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=7254

[image=http://a.photos.cx/mf_anh1080p_duke_VaderTusks-038.png]

9. Jamiebacca

Jamiebacca Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2003
    Wow! Those are the real deal?

10. TK-46_Duke

TK-46_Duke Jedi Master star 4

Jan 23, 2002
    Yes, they are. :)

11. Dark_Faith

Dark_Faith Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 30, 2004
  12. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
  13. Dark_Faith

Jan 30, 2004
    That is FANTASTIC! I mean you can actrully see Princess Leia refelcted in his EYES!

14. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    It's very impressive and in the case of the Lars family, even more creepy.

15. Jamiebacca

Jun 17, 2003
    So what kind of TV would you need to get a picture a good as those caps? I mean, that's almost too good. Does a regular DVD look that good on an hdtv, lcd, plasma, what?

Those caps are single-handledy making me re-think my whole home theatre situation (or lackthereof). Would this TV be Boba Fett-figure channel-change-friendly?

16. Dark_Faith

Jan 30, 2004
    I concur. Would a regular DVD on a normal DVD player look THIS good on any HDTV?? I might just cave into the whole HD thing...

17. TK-46_Duke

TK-46_Duke Jedi Master star 4

Jan 23, 2002
    Full HDTV resolution 1080 beats both NTSC and PAL DVD resolutions easily, even when PAL DVD -> 720p HDTV ain't that big difference. If I remember correctly 1080p HDTV resolution is about 6 times the NTCS resolution. :)

I'm currently uploading 48 screenshots more about Stormtroopers and few of them are about other Imperials. Some more Vader captures coming later tonight or tomorrow.

18. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    It depends on what type of televsion, you have, the dvd players( regular dvd, not hd or bluray), and what video cables you choose to use. I have an Hdtv in my room and since one of my dvd players has component video connections on it, I use that. I get 480i or something like that watching any dvd on it. I think full Hd is 1080i.

19. Jamiebacca

Jun 17, 2003
    I see...

I am definately going to look into an a/v revamp now that I have a wicked job.

20. SweiitConcorkill

SweiitConcorkill Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 28, 2004
    I have an HDTV and HD Cinemax... and the movies look pretty amazing. Better than the DVDs. I can see far more detail. I can't wait to own these things in BluRay. :)

21. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    Same here, once I can afford a blu ray(PS3) and hd-dvd players.

22. RogueTrader

RogueTrader Jedi Master star 4

Feb 7, 2002
    So I set the Hi-Def receiver at work to record these last night. We get pretty much all channels that Dish Network has to offer at my job. I have ROTS recorded and bask in it's HD glory from time to time.

But when I get to work this morning, what was recorded off of Cinemax is a Pan and Scan version of the saga that is clearly not hi-def. So I must not get cinemax hi-def, right?

Well, I looked at both Dish Network and Directv programming packages and NEITHER offer a cinemax HD channel. Just regular cinemax. Plenty of HBO and showtime HD, but no cinemax.

So what the hell is cinemax HD? Where does it exist if both major satellite providers don't offer it?

I was under the assumption the movies were just Hi-Def broadcasts on the regular cinemax channel.

Can anyone PLEASE clear this up for me?

23. aesium

aesium Jedi Master star 2

May 31, 2004
    I watched Return of the Jedi earlier this morning and I was very impressed with the detail of all of the ships in the last couple of scenes.

24. SweiitConcorkill

SweiitConcorkill Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 28, 2004
    I don't know about your satellite service, but I was sure most offered all the premium movie channels in HD.

As for HD broadcasts on the regular channels... it doesn't work like that. You have to tune into the HD broadcast. Like, on my cable service, the Cinemax channel is 85, but the HD Cinemax channel is 770. For cable, HD is usually free... part of the service package (though, you need an HD box, which is also usually free or $5 a month). Satellite, however, offers the HD channels for a fee. You also need to have your HD box plugged into your component input in the HD TV (or, you can also pipe it to your PC monitor, if you have a tuner card).

25. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.