Clone Wars Has Clone Wars Jumped the Karkarodon?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV' started by Master_Fwiffo, Sep 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CT-867-5309 Chosen One

star 5
    The droids episodes were so obviously intended for little kids that I'm just willing to give them a pass and move on.
  2. Darth_Foo Force Ghost

star 4
    I didn't think the series "jumped the karkarodon", until the recent announcement of return of a certain someone who was unquestionably killed in TPM...

So fire up the jet-ski, this shark is getting jumped!
  3. InterestingLurker Force Ghost

star 4
    So there was one problem with the episode. Big deal. Everyone else(or most of everyone else) enjoyed it. One flaw doesn't make a bad episode.
  4. MrFantastic74 Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    I'm a big SW fanboy, and I have seen every episode of TCW. I must admit, however, that of every 10 episodes I watch, I only enjoy about 3 or so. That's a pretty horrendous good:bad episode ratio!

Most of the stuff they put out there is mindless dribble that I forget about less than a minute after watching. I thought the movie (which was basically a cash grab TV pilot) was absolutely terrible. Season One was nearly a complete wash, and it's a miracle I even decided to continue watching into Season Two. Season Two was an improvement, with a few decent episodes. Episode Three was the best so far, although I hated the "Father, Son and Daughter" story arc--- I enjoyed the episodes, but they left me confused and slightly angry (I won't get into that here).

For me, the best episodes to date have been the ones that focus on Cad Bane and other bounty hunters. It's not that I'm a bounty hunter nut or anything, but those episodes have been the greatest at delivering character development. To me, a good story doesn't need heart-pounding action sequences with copious explosions and gun fire. Character development and a good story is far more important than anything else.

So far, Season Four has been a complete waste of time. Six episodes in, and there has not been one redeeming element. I find myself wanting the episodes to end so I can move on to more productive things in life. If there is no improvement this season (and no, I don't care that Maul is returning; in fact, I'm a little annoyed by that), then I may consider giving up on the show altogether.

Have they jumped the shark---er---karkarodon this season? I don't know. They probably jumped it in Season One. Time will tell if they can salvage this mess.
  5. Magellan_the_Cat Jedi Master

star 4
    I like the fact that characters just get killed, especially the clones, and that the battledroids are a sadistic happy-go-lucky attitude (the droid humming a jaunty tune while crushing escape capsules). But Yes, I am really losing interest while watching season 3. Disk 1 was OK, disk 2 had way too much Padme the idealist idiot of the political scene. Disk 3, with dathomir witches, sa'vage O-Press, and the father, son, and holy gh--um daughter was just awful. As a one ep-weirdness, it might have been an ok side trek, but as a full 3 ep arc, it just kept getting worse and worse.
    What I've heard of season 4 does not bode well.
    And once again, all of the worst eps are Raw George Lucas without anyone to control him. And you can here in the voices of the extras that even the guy with the beard (sorry, don't know their names) seems to be getting tired of covering for him. Really, he sounds burnt out. And now Katie Lucas is writing the eps, and they make even less sense.
    Better that the series end, than have it destroyed by running it into the ground.
    Buffy should have stopped at the end of season 3.
    L&O:SVU should have stopped at season 5 or 6.
    This show should have ended with season 2.

Or better yet, Lucas should hire some No-Men: people whose job it to do nothing more than say "NO" to him.
  6. instantdeath Force Ghost

star 5
    I'm certainly not enjoying it as much as I once was, now that they're writing larger scale stories. This is for two reasons.

1. I'm an EU fan, and the more they write "bigger" stories, the more they're going to overwrite things... I'm not picky about the small details. Evan Piell was not a small detail.

2. In the same line of thought, I did prefer TCW as just some fun "adventures" that the characters had between the movies. Obviously I expected character development between Anakin and Obi-Wan and Anakin and Ahsoka, but I did want it to stick mainly to self contained plots, regardless if they leaned more towards action or politics. I'm sad to say, however, that the real reason for this is that dialogue is simply not a strength for the show. Did anyone else cringe when the Calamari prince opened his mouth? Everything that came out was so generic and boring that I just wanted to rip his head off. Not to mention that Ackbar came off as a total tool.

Don't get me wrong, the show has had strokes of brilliance (for the record, I do use that word generously) when it comes to dialogue. But it's not the norm.

Are people really having problems with the level of violence and "darkness" of the show? Hmm. I haven't noticed... in fact, I feel it's a little too light hearted at times.

Anyway, I actually do enjoy my fair share of episodes, so I'm not watching out of masochism.
  7. Magellan_the_Cat Jedi Master

star 4
    Well, Disk 4 of season 3 was much better, but not enough to make up for disk 3. The break-out-of-prison story felt padded. They could easily have stripped out an entire ep to make it both better paced and kept the story intact.
    Cameos of the classic characters fell like attempts to shock&awe the audience into paying attention. Kinda like announcing a Dalek story in the old days of Doctor Who (before they got overused in the new run of shows).
    It's a grab at sensationalism, and it isn't working, because the writing is usually too weak.
    I'm not sure what changed with season 3's production staff, but I am very disappointed. Only good decision I can put in was casting Clancy Brown as Savage Oppress--sorry Sah'vaszj Op-ressssss'.

I'll find out about season 4 in about a year.
    But this time, I'm waiting for the Netflix disks before buying the set.
  8. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Force Ghost

star 5
    Gilroy and a bunch of other writers that worked on the first 2 seasons left and were replaced by freelancers.
  9. Coric Force Ghost

star 4
    ^ Downfall of TCW

It's funny that they are doing the Slaves of the Republic remake.. as Henry Gilroy wrote that comic.
  10. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Force Ghost

star 5
    It's not enough to just make him quit, they have to piss on all his work too.
  11. instantdeath Force Ghost

star 5
    I actually didn't know this. I watched a few season 2 episodes somewhat recently, and was amazed at how much I enjoyed them. I won't say that TCW has gone completely downhill, but I do think I preferred the first two seasons overall.

You said they "made him quit"... what happened there?
  12. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Force Ghost

star 5
    Nobody knows, only that Gilroy left at the end of Season 2. But his sudden departure is highly suspect. He wasn't exactly doing anything wrong, his episodes were actually among the best.
  13. Grendelspyce Force Ghost

I'm going to join the chorus that Clone Wars has officially jumped the Karkarodon with the news of Mauls return. Watching this show has gone from being a "can't wait" to a "let's get this over with" over the course of the last 3 seasons. There are very few episodes I have any desire to see again. All the things we were hoping to get from this series - Obi-Wan & Anakin's brotherhood, Grievous as a bad-ass, Jedi Order structure, Sith machinations, clone development - have all been ignored in favor of increasingly bizarre subject matter (School tea poisonings? Incomprehensible Mortis arc? Darth Maul's Hulked-Out brother?). I'm thinking everything we see in the Clone Wars is just a fever-induced hallucination by Anakin.
  14. GGrievous Chosen One

star 5
    No, he left after the first season. Certain season two episodes were season one produced.
  15. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Force Ghost

star 5
    That'll be what confused me. Yeah cos Voyage of Temptation was cowritten by him and that was definitely produced early on (the tunic to cover the Clone Trooper body and so on).
  16. GGrievous Chosen One

star 5
    Yeah I think I remember the clone trooper body covering
  17. Master_Fwiffo Force Ghost

star 3
    I am so happy to report that this weeks episode had not even a hint of Karkarodon fin. Heck, it might have been one of the best episodes of the show period. But we'll see how long that lasts.
  18. DarthRelaxus Chosen One

star 5
    I agree with the screwing up canon comment. GL followed EU canon in the PT, why not TCW? For my part, I don't consider TCW to be canon; maybe it's more of an alternate timeline. Spock would know.
  19. Meriwyn Former RSA

star 4
    With GL throwing continuity and canon completely out the window, and with the return of the "I just want to make it perfectly clear he's DEAD" Darth Maul...YES, they jumped the karkarodon long ago.
  20. Game3525 Force Ghost

star 4
    [face_laugh]

When did GL follow EU canon of the PT?

Hell, compare to that TCW looks rather tame.
  21. Arawn_Fenn Chosen One

star 7
    I think that referred to retaining the name of Coruscant.
  22. fistofan1 Force Ghost

star 4
    Yes, the Umbaran arc has done a great job of digging the show out of the rut it's been in since the end of Season 2. Hopefully the crew will stay focused and make sure it doesn't fall again!
  23. GGrievous Chosen One

star 5
    I can't really think at the moment, but Aayla was originally an EU creation.

and like Arawn said Coruscant as well.
  24. QuangoFett Force Ghost

star 4
    TCW is proper canon, no doubt. Technically, the EU is the alternate universe....

However, the retcons sometimes seem to be out of control.

GL made it clear that he was going to do a Prequel Trilogy about Anakin Skywalker, Luke's mother and Obi-Wan Kenobi as early as 1991. The EU writers gave him a wide berth so as to not contradict the upcoming film series.

With the Clone Wars era, however, there were officially sanctioned tie-in works published to maintain hype between AOTC and ROTS. They really were the "official" continuation of the Star Wars story. Even when TCW was announced in 2006 or so, the scale of the retcons wasn't known. It was only made clear when the series began, and the rate of retcons accelerated rapidly over the coming months.

"Tame" TCW is not. ;)
  25. GGrievous Chosen One

star 5
    You got it backwards man. And technically TCW is EU. ;)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.