main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Has experiencing the life of the EU made you want to forget the prequals?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by chissdude10, Feb 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediLord

JediLord Jedi Master star 4

Oct 15, 2000
    wow that stuff about padme dying...makes no sense. put a lot of thought into that huh? if you arent going to care about the prequels...at least have a good reason for doing so. otherwise you look like a jawa hutt wielding a lightsaber(an EU thing mind you)

2. JediFarfy

JediFarfy Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2000
    A week ago, I was all about the NJO. But now I'm getting hyped for the prequels. It kinda fluxuates (sp?). When the release of Rebel Stand is getting closer, I'll be all over that. But in mid April, it'll be prequels.

Wait, RS comes out in April, doesn't it? Oh crap! I'm so screwed...

JediFarfy

3. Mavrick889

Mavrick889 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 1999
    March 26th actually.

Amazingly enough, March is also going to be a HUGE month for SW fans, and the Episode II wave of merchandise wont even have hit yet.

4. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    No. The prequels are what really got me into SW, and the EU. I wouldn't give them up for the world. Now, had I been an EU fan since 1978, I might have been I little ticked if they'd started a whole new EU when the prequels started. But they didn't. Everything's been worked in, and I don't think we give LFL enough credit for that.

And aside form the incredeble experience of seeing a SW tale as it's meant to be seen, (all-new, on the big screen, with ground-breaking special effects,) the prequels have opened up a whole new area for the EU to explore, an area that's been untouched by the modern EU. Look at all the cool stories we have now! Obi-Wan's apprenticeship, the saga of Quinlain Vos, the adventures of Nym, Palpatine's rise to power (behind the scenes,) Anakin Skywalker's adventures, the beauty and depth of Naboo...

No, I'm glad for the prequels. And I'm excited about AOTC.

TC

5. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    what the hell? i am sorry that you people feel this way. the novels are a bonus, not the true star wars.

What is the "true Star Wars"?

what GL does is what SW truly is

How so? He created it, for sure. But what makes his take on it more "true" than any other author or game designer?

the fact that you arent interested b/c it might be different than what YOU want is the problem with a lot of people today.

Maybe you don't like the books because they're different from your view of the Star Wars universe?

Fact is, folks...if you're going to rip on the prequel era because you "already know what happens", then I think you're missing out. We know the end result of what happens with Anakin, Palpatine, Luke and Leia...but we don't know what the journey was like to get to where they are in the Rebellion Era.

From my view, nothing tops the movies. They are the pinaccle of greatness, to me.

6. Erk

Erk Jedi Master star 4

Aug 12, 2001
    I rate it like this:

1. ot
    3. eu
    4. pt

7. AdMiRe

AdMiRe Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 18, 2001
    well, as far as I am concerned, EP2 can be horrible,bad,soulless, i don`t care...it will be another SW movie, and whatever any other non-star wars fan says, i don`t care...I will always love star wars

But,the EU has been my life the last couple of years...reading about a master Luke and mara jade, thrawn, the Noghri, a new republic..etc..its soooo much more interesting than anakin and padmes wedding, anakins fall etc.

Of course Ep2 will impress and all that...but EU is my extension of the old Star Wars trilogy...PT is just ...just PT...blah...

8. JediLord

Oct 15, 2000
    WoW!!!!!!!!!! i love it when this happens

sturm antilles( if that is your real name), if you had bothered to read my earlier post where i state i LOVE the Eu, then you wouold see that your little comment doesnt make sense. and i see that our opinions on the matter are pretty much the same, so i will thank you for not dissing me, yo(pulls a ghetto pose as seen in any of the house party movies).

9. barnsthefatjedi

barnsthefatjedi Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 17, 2001
    Just wondering if anyone else felt that way...

I emphatically DO NOT feel the same way.

10. Tiershon_Fett

Tiershon_Fett Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    C'mon you guys. Chissdude 10 is a 13 year old child. He didn't have to wonder who Darth Vader really is for twenty years. I have waited that long, and I think it will be much more satisfying then the next installment of genocide, mayhem, and snotty aliens, and reddy-goldilocks (who seems to be aging backwards), and wimpy Jacen, and luke.

Movies all the way. I think the older generation are real movie fans as opposed to multi-media fans. We didn't have the internet, cable TV (cable TV in 81 was Showtime, Z Channel, and HBO, MTV and ten other channels), or any of that other stuff. It's wonder we got along, huh?

11. Rysil

Rysil Jedi Youngling

Feb 5, 2002
    For me, I enjoyed PT, and am looking forward to the next movies, but so far, prequel stuff is incredibly boring. None of the books were any good, and truth be told, I didn't enjoy PT all that much. However, in reading some of AOTC stuff, this movie looks to turn it all around and make the movies interesting again. But for the most part, NJO are better stories(not including the Babysitters Club book Dark Journey)

12. chissdude10

chissdude10 Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    I get really ticked off when people judge my opinion by age...

13. barnsthefatjedi

barnsthefatjedi Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 17, 2001
    You wouldn't understand, chissdude. You're just a kid. ;) :p

14. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    As AotC slowly approaches I find myself anticipating it more than I had been in recent months. I definetely cannot wait till it comes out, and right now Im more interested in AotC than the EU, but not by much. I love the NJO.

15. JediLord

Oct 15, 2000
    no offense, but since you have forsaken the movies for the books, you wont make a lot of friends. and let me just say, the reason for your liking the books more is the fact that you are too young to fully understand how us old school fans are. sorry.

16. skawookiee

skawookiee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 12, 2000
    Why does it have to be either the EU or the PT for you Chissdude? Why can't you just enjoy them all?

17. -Vergere-

-Vergere- Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2001
    I'm sorry but I have to comment here...
    and let me just say, the reason for your liking the books more is the fact that you are too young to fully understand how us old school fans are.
    You lose any and all respect with this sort of condescending and patronizing attitude. An age superiority complex somehow empowers some of you to excuse the EU appreciation of those younger than yourself as naive adolescence?

Is it possible that a novel conveys the emotions, thoughts, characterizations and storylines so effectively that the reading experiences surpasses the viewing experience for some? True, Star Wars is about the movies first and foremost, but the prequels are nothing like the original trilogy for obvious reasons. Same goes for the EU and particularly the NJO.

18. Wedge 88

Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 1999
    Only a few of the EU novels have actually felt like Star Wars to me. Edge of Victory, Agents of Chaos, Vector Prime, Han Solo Trilogy, and Vector Prime are about it so far. So no, the EU hasn't made me want to forget the prequels. The EU has me pumped for more pure Star Wars fun. Most Star Wars novels are good reads, fodder stuff. Not many are really Star Wars, although I do enjoy the connection of all the novels.

19. Darth Pikachuwbacca

Darth Pikachuwbacca Jedi Master star 4

Jan 22, 2000
    I'll be honest, I'm just as pumped for the next NJO novel as I am for Episode II... which is to say not at all.

I guess I'm just burned out on SW for the moment.

20. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    But,the EU has been my life the last couple of years...reading about a master Luke and mara jade, thrawn, the Noghri, a new republic..etc..its soooo much more interesting than anakin and padmes wedding, anakins fall etc.

When did you see their wedding, or Anakin's fall?

C'mon you guys. Chissdude 10 is a 13 year old child. He didn't have to wonder who Darth Vader really is for twenty years. I have waited that long

Yes, I think this is something that seperates the "new" fans, that came on board around 1999.

I've wondered my whole life about the adventures of the younger Anakin and Obi-Wan, how Palpatine became Emperor and what the Clone Wars were about. Now that the PT is upon us, I still have to pinch myself sometimes when I realize that I can watch Episode I of Star Wars whenever I want in my VCR.

21. chissdude10

chissdude10 Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    I hate the prequals for a number of reasons. And do not attept to change my mind, I WILL BE AS STUBURN AS GENGHIS12 IN A MARVEL DEBATE! With appoligies to my bud Genghis...

1.George Lucas screwed all alot of novels and herby erasing canonized statments for his movie.
    2. Lucas was unable to address any EU events for Epi2.

22. Kier_Nimmion

Kier_Nimmion Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 9, 2000

I've wondered my whole life about the adventures of the younger Anakin and Obi-Wan, how Palpatine became Emperor and what the Clone Wars were about. Now that the PT is upon us, I still have to pinch myself sometimes when I realize that I can watch Episode I of Star Wars whenever I want in my VCR

I know you have felt like this for a long time, Sturm, but I don't. At least I am not as crazy about what made Darth Vader- I think this partially has to do with the fact that, as much as I have warmed to the Phantom Menace in the past year (much of it your doing, by the way), I still don't like Jake Lloyd, and I -from what I have seen- I don't like Haydon Christineson- but I think that has to do with the fact I hate most pretty boys.

I am more interested in the fall of the Republic and the rise of the Empire- that has me hooked, as do the Clone Wars. Anakin doesn't really interest me as a character, though I will add the caveat that this may change after seeing Episode II.

23. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    Well...have you seen Hayden in any TV show or movie? He's not really like any pretty boy poser you'd see on Buffy or Roswell. He's a genuinely good actor, from everything I've seen.

24. AT-ST_DRIVER

AT-ST_DRIVER Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 1, 2001
    i think i know what yer talkin' 'bout chissdude. the prequels aren't exciting 'cuz you know what's gonna happen. Padme has ani's kids. Ani turns to vadey. Palpy takes over the galaxy. Ben and yoda become hermits. sure, you don't know HOW it happens, but we all know that it does, right? Whereas with the NJO you don't really know either until the next book/comic comes out (or if you read the spoilers ;) ). i still love the movies just as much as i love the books, though.

25. JediLord

Oct 15, 2000
    the suspense comes not from the ending, but the journey to it. the books are great(most of them) but the best book is nothing compared to the worst movie. and i have no age superiority complex, but i do believe that someone who is rather new(relatively) to SW cannot have such a deep appreciation that us old school fans do. nothing to do with age, just experience and a different generation.

chissdude, can you clarify your two comments : 1.George Lucas screwed all alot of novels and herby erasing canonized statments for his movie.
    2. Lucas was unable to address any EU events for Epi2.

i dont undeerstand what you mean by this so help me out.

also, why do people say the prequels, when they have only seen one? dont judge them all based on one movie(which was stellar by the by). and as much as you love the books, you would never have read them if it wasnt for the films.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.