main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Has George lost his touch?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Obi-pres, Jan 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obi-pres

Obi-pres Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2002
    Listen, let's not start off at the wrong point, I am not saying that his movies sucked. I loved them! I am just saying (and no one will probably agree with me), that I think that the OT is much better the the PT because it fits together better. Plus, when the OT came out, I am not sure, but I think every OT movie made the most money of any movie those realease years. Spiderman made the most last year of AOTC realease year, and I am not sure what movie did, but I remember my Dad delivering the bad news of TPM not making the most money. Plus, I honestly don't think the PT fits in very well with the OT. I mean it does and then it doesn't. I mean, I know it would be hard to make it really fit in with three movies made thirty years ago, but I think if he was still the George Lucas like he was thirty years ago, all the PT would have made the most money and it would have been perfect. What do you guys think? That I am crazy? Probably, but read the facts I have put above. I know even with that you will still think I am crazy, but I thought this was a good topic question.

2. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    We're missing a third of the PT, it's way to early to say how they fit together, let alone with how they fit into the OT.

TPM was the No.1 box office grosser of 1999, by far. It made $431m in the end, I don't know what your Dad meant.

I disagree with the view that Lucas has lost touch, but that doesn't mean you're not entitled to your own view.

However, give it a few mins, the arguements will start soon :(

3. Shelley

Shelley Jedi Youngling star 5

Sep 9, 2001
    To answer your question:

Nope. :)

4. Obi-pres

Aug 6, 2002
    Okay, maybe I am crazy. Sorry guys.

5. DamonD

Nov 22, 2002
    Awww, you're not crazy.
    We just don't agree about this point.

6. weezyslob

weezyslob Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 3, 2002
    Just because a movie makes the most money doesn't mean it's better, it just means more people went to see it. Spiderman was in waaaay more theatres than AOTC for one thing, and less people saw AOTC because they were dissapointed with TPM.

7. Obi-pres

Aug 6, 2002
    Oh yeah, you have a major point there.

8. ami-padme

ami-padme Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 19, 1999
    Has George lost his touch?

No. :)

9. DamonD

Nov 22, 2002
    weezyslob, I definitely think that the negative critical reception for TPM affected AOTC's gross.

Hopefully AOTC's stronger reviews will help Episode 3 at the box office.

10. Master-Kenobi

Master-Kenobi Jedi Master star 5

Sep 20, 2002
    I AGREE WITH YOU :D If my opinion counts for anything :)

11. guittarjedi

guittarjedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2002
    Don't be so sure that no one agrees with you,trust your feelings. When I first saw TPM I thought Lucas just needed to get warmed up. Now that I've seen AOTC I'm convinced that Lucas has definitely lost his touch.

12. RevengeofDahveed

RevengeofDahveed Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 10, 2002
    quote:

weezyslob, I definitely think that the negative critical reception for TPM affected AOTC's gross.

not to mention the much more important NEGATIVE WORD OF MOUTH FOR TPM.

SW is more or less critic-proof, and im pretty sure people didnt come out of TPM loving it and then deciding NOT to see AOTC after reading a bad review. makes no sense sorry.

and the vast vast majority of people saw TPM well after all the bad reviews had come in (ie opening weekend). i myself saw it once (it was terrible of course), read a couple reviews confirming what i just saw, and then just to be sure i saw it again.

everybody who WANTED to see these movies saw them. some of them a dozen times or more. and they were given more than enuf time to see it plus the IMAX deal.

13. Bjork

Bjork Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 21, 2002
    All in personal opinion I suppose...

Like other people have said: just because a movie grosses a certain amount doesn't mean that it's better/worse. It just means more people were interested in it and paid 8 dollars to see it - and I don't really trust reviews either...a lot of those people get paid to flame, and plus it makes for more exciting reading if they bash things.

As for your question: No, I don't think so. True, the OT and PT have different feels to them - but I think that both are magically done and I can't wait to see Episode III.

-Bjork.

14. DarthHtrad

DarthHtrad Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 24, 2002
    Just because there is still one PT movie left to be made, doesn't mean we can't compare the two trilogies now. If you want to follow that logic, however, then let's just compare TPM and AOTC to ANH and ESB, in which case, the OT films are still better. IMO of course.

I like the PT, so I would compare the 2 trilogies this way. With the OT, it was like a guy on the highway who was zooming past all the other cars at breakneck speed, leaving them all in the dust.
    Now, with the PT, George is like a car who is just driving the same speed as most of the other cars. The movies aren't bad. He's still keeping up with the flow of traffic, they're just not blowing me away the way the OT did. One obvious improvement is the effects, but that would just be like the car George is driving now is really nice and shiny and sporty, but that's not causing it to go faster. The story and acting are the 'engine of the car'. Effects are just the body. The OT had a great engine. And a great body at the time.

15. The Flying Dutchman

The Flying Dutchman Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 2000
    I for one am happy that the PT is different then the OT. Not better nor worse - just different. Makes the SW universe that more compelling to me. I always compare them to for example the '60 and '90 (or '30 and '50). Different times. Nuff said.

16. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    No, he can still touch things :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.