main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Has Obi-wan "Ben" Kenobi Ever fired a Blaster??

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by LottDodd, Feb 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LottDodd

LottDodd Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2002
    He Shows real Disdain for those Clumsy and Random Weapons... and if he's been Carrying A Lightsaber 'since he was Four like the Younglings, why would he ever need to?

Still it's hard to imagine getting by in the Star Wars Universe without at least a working knowledge of Blaster Technology and use. Maybe a part of Jedi Survival training... Are there any Ranged Weapons of the Jedi?

But as Far as I know, even the Jedi Starfighters don't have weapons (Video Games and Hasbro set aside for the Moment) Do the Jedi have a philosophy with their ships similar to those of the Naboo? They Fly around in Diplomatic cruisers and "Fighters" that are designed to evade and avoid combat rather than counter attack...

2. Darth_Malt

Darth_Malt Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2003
    He had a fire a blaster once or twice. But I do not think there has been any onscreen knowledge of him even touching a blaster.

3. Bjork

Bjork Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 21, 2002
    Maybe in the EU - but there's obviously no on-screen references. I imagine that he had some basic ideas on how a blaster worked - but he probably didn't have a lot of experiance with one.

I have basic knowledge of how a rifle and handgun works, and if you gave me one (not a good idea though...lol. 8-} ) I would probably be able to fire it. But I don't really have a lot of background experiance with them.

-Bjork.

4. JediKnightOB1

JediKnightOB1 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 26, 2003
    Obi-Wan said that blasters were "Clumsey" He likes Lighr Sabers because they represented an "Elegant weapon for a more civilized time."

He has most likely fired a blaster which is why he made the comment he did to Luke.

Jedi like to fight "one on one" it usually settles who is the better fighter.

5. dArTh_wenley

dArTh_wenley Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 10, 2001

I would think that Jedi would be discourage use of a blaster and instead promote the lightsaber.

However, I would think that a person won't be able to go through life without picking one up and using it.

It wouldn't be THAT hard to learn. ;)

6. JediKnightOB1

JediKnightOB1 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 26, 2003
    A blaster is more aggressive. You don't have to be so close to your target. With a Light Saber you do. You need more confidence with a Light Saber. Cowards use guns!!!

(Those are the people that do not handle a gun with respect. Robbing a bank or conveinece store with a gun is cowardly.)

7. Darth_Shade

Darth_Shade Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 9, 2003
    He's probably used a blaster before but, he obviously doesn't like them.

8. Darth_Dagsy

Darth_Dagsy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 2000
    While the Jedi show disdain for Blasters, in order to have a complete training, I would imagine a Jedi would need to be proficient in firearm use.

If the Jedi arent at least learning to use more weapons than just sabres, then they arent really getting a good idea of what is out there, and how to deal with it.

9. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    I think he would know how to use a blaster effectively (like he'd be able to hit a target) but he wouldn't use it as his weapon of choice. Compared to a lightsaber, a blaster is fairly easy to master.

However, I don't ever recall him ever firing one ...

10. Valiowk

Valiowk Chosen One star 6

Apr 23, 2000
    While the Jedi show disdain for Blasters, in order to have a complete training, I would imagine a Jedi would need to be proficient in firearm use.

Great point, Dagsy.

I would think that the Jedi would be trained in all weapons, so that should they lose their lightsabre by any chance, they are still able to pick up some other weapon and utilise it. Also, learning how to use another weapon will at the same time teach you about the disadvantages of that weapon, and I'm sure that's a useful technique that the Jedi have to know.

I'm sure that Obi-Wan has fired a blaster before; it's just that the weapon he has used all his life, and that is special to him is his lightsabre. The lightsabre is a weapon that is unique to the Jedi, and thus it has much more meaning to him than a blaster which is more widely available.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  11. LottDodd

Oct 4, 2002
    It has to be a part of Jedi Training... At least in learning how to deflect all those blaster bolts back. Jedi need to learn how to take live fire from a sentinent target... Not just drones. After all, if the Drones could think, there would be no use for any of us...

12. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    Look closely at the Jedi starfighter again. When it is on the landing pad on Kamino you can clearly see the there is laser canons on the ship.

Also in the AOTC Incredible Cross-Sections you can see the laser canons.

13. LottDodd

Oct 4, 2002
    My toy version transforms and shoots missles... that don't make it so.

14. D_Lowe

D_Lowe Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 15, 2002
    LottDodd, I got a question for you? If the Jedi Starfighter doesn't have weapons, then why is it called the Jedi Starfighter? I know we haven't seen one fire any weapons, but we could in Episode III. I personally think Anakin will fly one in the Clone Wars and show off his star piloting skills.

15. LottDodd

Oct 4, 2002
    Why is R4 considered a droid and not an onboard computer if he can't leave the fighter? is the entire ship a droid? Why is a Star Destroyer called a Star Destroyer if it cannot destroy a star?

It is the Class of ship that is refered to a starfighter... not the ship itself. Jedi Starfighter is just the slang we use to sell toys. The ship is actually an Aethersprite something or other.

Besides, I was just speculating, I know all sources point to the Jedi Starfighter having weapons... Kenobi or any other Jedi worth his salt would never result to firing one, thats all.

16. D_Lowe

D_Lowe Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 15, 2002
    Why is R4 considered a droid and not an onboard computer if he can't leave the fighter?
      It actually is a droid in the ship. Just like R2D2 flying in star ships. R4 is removable, we just don't see it.

Why is a Star Destroyer called a Star Destroyer if it cannot destroy a star?
      Why does Obi-Wan call Anakin the best star pilot in the galaxy?

It is the Class of ship that is refered to a starfighter... not the ship itself. Jedi Starfighter is just the slang we use to sell toys. The ship is actually an Aethersprite something or other.
      Well I believe it can fight and shoot and that is why they are called Jedi Starfighters.

Besides, I was just speculating, I know all sources point to the Jedi Starfighter having weapons... Kenobi or any other Jedi worth his salt would never result to firing one, thats all.
      And I agree with this. In an age of blasters, the Jedi chosen the swords. So they better be pretty darn good with them and they are. Just remember, Vader flew a tie fighter and fired their blasters. Anyway, may the Force be with you LottDodd! :)

17. SmeagolsTorment

SmeagolsTorment Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 7, 2003
    Guys, in the grand sceme of the saga, does it really matter if he did?

18. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    Why is a Star Destroyer called a Star Destroyer if it cannot destroy a star?

Because a destroyer is a type of naval ship much like a frieghter etc. Any space-faring ship has the pre-fix 'star' to dsignate it as a space-faring vessle.
    Star-cruiser
    Star-fighter
    Star-Destroyer.
    The name has nothing to do with being able to destroy a star just like starfighters don't fight stars.

And there ya go.

19. LottDodd

Oct 4, 2002
    I dont think R4 is removable... He doesn't have a body.

20. NmdWy2Cl

NmdWy2Cl Jedi Youngling

Feb 9, 2002
    Straight from the SW.com databanks:

Small wedge-shaped one-man starfighters, these vessels were used by the Jedi order in the waning days of the Galactic Republic. While the ship does employ weapons, most Jedi pilots preferred to rely on their cunning and attunement to the Force to avoid disputes and aggression.

it does employ weapons but most Jedi dont use them.

A truncated astromech droid was hard-wired into the starfighter's port side, providing repair and navigation information to the Jedi pilot. The vessel was too small to carry a hyperdrive, and instead relied on a separate booster craft for transit through hyperspace.

astromech being hardwired means it is permently in the fusalage.

And a Star Destroyer got its name from having the most power even instituted into a battle station. A SD employs 6 turbolasers, and each turbolaser puts out 200gigatons of destruction every shot.

21. LottDodd

Oct 4, 2002
    That's a lot of Gigatons...

22. Master_Akwat_Kbrana

Master_Akwat_Kbrana Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 16, 2001
    "Not as clumsy or random as a blaster..." -Ben Kenobi

Now, how would he know this if he hadn't ever actually used one? Maybe he heard it from someone else? Possibly, but does it really sound like Ben? No, he just doesn't seem the sort that would make a conclusion based on someone else's experience.

Now, as for the weapons on the Jedi Starfighter. Let's, first, look at the other known ships in the Star Wars universe categorized as starfighters.

TIE fighter class. (TIE fighter, TIE advanced, TIE defender, TIE bomber, and TIE interceptor) All of the TIE fighters have weapons. X-wing fighter has weapons, Y-wing fighter has weapons, B-wing fighter has weapons, T-wing fighter has weapons, A-wing fighter has weapons, N-1 starfighter has weapons. I'm sure there are more that I'm missing, but the fact of the matter is that every other starfighter has weapons, you'd think Jedi Stargfighters would too. Furthermore, Obi-wan used a Jedi-starfighter to capture Jango Fett. He knew that Jango was murderous (He killed Zam on Courascant) he knew that Jango was no newbie when it came to fighting (he and Jango had a fistfight on Kamino) and he knew that Slave I was outfitted with weapons (Boba shot blaster bolts from Slave I's laser cannons at Obi Wan on Kamino.) What are the chances he would take a ship without weapons to capture someone as deadly and dangerous as Jango? If that doesn't convince you, the official site says they have weapons, as do the video games (which, according to the Lucasfilm rules of Canon, are accurate unless contradicted by an official source, like the EU, or a Canon source, like the movies).

23. LottDodd

Oct 4, 2002
    Kenobi has plenty of experience with the clumsiness of Blasters... having deflected tens of thousands of their bolts back at their owners.... He doesn't have to pull the trigger, he has enough experience at the other end of fire.

I have also agreed that the Jedi Fighters have weapons, I was just speculating because they made a big deal out of the Queen's ship having no weapons as a symbol of peace and pascifism. The Jedi obviously do not adhere to so strict a tenet as galactic peace.

Plus Kenobi was in a Dogfight with Jango... A feirce one at that. But he Never Fired a Weapon... and it wasn't that he didn't have the oppurtunity... he could have easily dogtailed behind Slave One after hiding on the asteroid and shot the ship out of the sky... But that is not the way a Jedi Fights.

Think. Use the Force. Jango went to Geonossis to hide not flee.

I think it would be far more impressive if the Jedi were such good Pilots they wouldn't Need Weapons. They could Outfly and outsmart any opponent under any condition. Han Solo never fired one shot at the Four Tie Fighters chasing him through the asteroid belt, and yet he handily dispatched of all of them.

24. LottDodd

Oct 4, 2002
    And Back to the Point... Has Obi-wan "Ben" Kenobi ever fired HIS blasters in A Jedi Starfighter?

25. SaberGiiett7

SaberGiiett7 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 2, 2002
    1. I always thought (Games aside) the Delta Aethsprites were armed with twin laser cannons. It's not unfeasible. Obi Wan never actually did get in a attack position during the Astroid belt escapade because he was being hounded incessently by the deadly Slave 1. It would be outright dumb to not equipe the starfighters during a time when civil war hangs over the horizon. :)

2. Yes it is a good bet at some point during Obi Wan's hundreds of missions he was forced to wield a blaster. If he somehow short circuited or his lightsaber wen't flying out of his hand in the heat of battle he'd have no alternative. In training missions Jedi probably are forced to use blaster's at some point. Obviously with Luke Force pulling that blaster to him in ROTJ depicts how its not neccessarely distasteful to fashion a blaster for the Knights.

<[-]> Saber

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.