main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Has Obi-Wan Stolen the Show?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by solojones, Jul 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Before everyone starts shouting that Star Wars is the story of Anakin Skywalker, let me go ahead and conceed the point. Yes, I know GL has clearly stated and it is obvious that Star Wars is the story of Anakin's rise to power, fall, and redemption. However, that clearly doesn't mean the story is just about Anakin. To me, it's about the whole Skywalker family, which extends out to much more than just people bearing the name (and more than just people, too).

However, when the Census board here on the JC held a big marathon poll a while back to determine who the ultimate fan favourite character was. After dozens of rounds of voting, it came down to two characters: Anakin Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi. And the winner was Obi-Wan.

It surprised me a little, I have to say. But there was no doubt in my mind that Obi-Wan is my favourite character of the saga, the one I empathize with the most. It would seem that a lot of people feel the same way. And in last year's AFI poll of the 50 greatest heros, Obi-Wan made the list (so did Han). But there was not a Skywalker to be found.

When I watch TPM, I don't think primarily of how Anakin is going to handle life as a Jedi, but how Obi-Wan is going to handle life as his Master. In AOTC, I can't really sympathise with Anakin's complaining about Obi-Wan but I can definitely feel for Obi-Wan. Which is certainly not to say that Obi-Wan is perfect by any means. He's not, but that's one of the things I identify with so well. When I watch ANH, I don't see Luke's first encounter with a lightsabre as a grand moment in a young man's life, but as the last spark of hope in an old man's. The list goes on.

I think it's kind of ironic, even, because from what I've gathered GL has tried to make Obi-Wan simply a guide, a kind of tool for the Great and Mighty Skywalkers. But I think to a lot of fans he's a lot more than that. I think his endurance is a lot more admirable than, say, Anakin and Luke's ingrained skills.

So is it just some weird Kenobi-bias I've had since childhood watching of the OT or is this something other people feel as well? When you watch Star Wars, whose perspective do you see things from? I definitely want to hear both sides, if they exist ;)

-sj loves kevin spacey

2. jedi_rebel3789

jedi_rebel3789 Jedi Youngling

Jul 4, 2004
    I totally agree with you Solo, I think sometimes whenever a Skywalker(or anyone else) was in trouble they usually had wise Obi-Wan to guide them.

3. -_-_-_-_-_-

-_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 28, 2002
    A random observation of mine:

If you think about it, Obi-Wan is the voice of reason and clear conscience throughout the entire sage, whether he was advising Anakin or Luke. Palpatine on the other hand was the devil's advocate, the essence of deceit and evil, both when he tempted and succeeded in bringing Anakin over to the Dark Side and when he attempted to do so with Luke later on in the saga.

4. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Yeah, Obi-Wan [is always the voice of caution, optimism, and moderation.

Whether it's with Qui-Gon in TPM, Anakin & the council in II and III, or Skywalker Jr. & Yoda in the OT, Obi-Wan always has something wise to advise them with.

I:
    The boy is dangerous. They all sense it, why can't you?"

II:
    "Anakin, don't do anything without first consulting myself or the council."

II:
    "His abilities have made him...well, arrogant."

III:
    "Anakin, quit waving that red sabre around!"

IV: "Only a master of evil, Darth!" (See how he's still the teacher even though his pupil has turned on him?)

V: "If you choose to face Vader, tyou will do it alone. I cannot interfere."

VI: "You shouldn't think of that machine as your father."

5. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    It was really only after watching the Special Editions in the Cinema that I realised what a fascinating character Obi-Wan is. When I first saw Star Wars back in ?77, old Ben seemed a pretty straightforward character: the kind old wise wizard who helps Luke find his destiny. By the time I watched the re-released ANH however, Ben almost seemed to be a different character. He?s wise, yes, but he is also driven by the need to redeem both Anakin and himself; to that end he is manipulative. When he says to Luke: ?You must do what you feel is right, of course?, you know that Luke is going to end up doing things Ben?s way.

When Vader confronts Obi-Wan on the Death-Star you really get to see how important Obi-Wan is to Vader. Anakin has been waiting years for the rematch with his old master, he?s looking forward to finally proving he?s better and more powerful than Kenobi, but even with all his darkside powers Obi-Wan still finds a way to cheat him out of his victory. Now when Ben smiles his knowing smile right before putting his saber up and becoming one with the Force, I kind of feel sorry for Vader. Anakin is so powerful, yet he?s always being out-manoeuvred by someone smarter. When Anakin pokes at Ben?s empty robes after his victory, he knows Obi-Wan has screwed him over again, he just doesn?t know how. Obi-Wan has used his ?death? to enable Luke to escape, plus he has become one with the Force, enabling him to help guide Luke in the Future; meanwhile all Darth Vader has got out of it is a smelly old robe and the nagging feeling that his victory didn?t go quite like he expected.

Definitely one of the best things about OT Obi-Wan is the way he interacts with Han Solo; Han doesn?t respect Ben, Ben always has a snappy come-back for Han. ?Where did you dig up that old fossil??, ?Who's the more foolish...the fool or the fool who follows him? ?. All great stuff.

6. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Obi-Wan is the voice of reason *usually*, but that's not to say he's without his flaws. While he's berating Anakin for his arrogance, Obi-Wan himself is arrogant (as I believe Yoda was trying to point out). He's also rather cold with Anakin.

However, the thing is that Obi-Wan changes. Compare his interactions with Anakin and Luke, and you can see a marked difference. There are things that stay the same about him, but also things that change for the better, as opposed to Anakin who only changes for the worst (right up until the end of RotJ). I feel like Obi-Wan genuinely regrets his mistakes, wheras Anakin just pushes the blame off on others much of the time. Maybe that's why Obi-Wan is more sympathetic in my eyes.

soitcomestothis

I wasn't around back in '77, but I was a huge SW fan before the SEs. I was fortunate enough to have a dad who had liked the movies a lot when they first came out so we watched them tons as kids, and I was in love with them. My favourite characters were always Boba Fett (typical fantomboy :p), Han (which I resisted for a while just because *everyone* liked Han), and Obi-Wan (when we played I always pretended to be his grandson... don't ask). I was a strange little child, wasn't I? I never just saw him as some throw-away character. I never even liked Luke, or really cared about his whole struggle :p I do moreso now, but on a more galactic scope rather than about Luke personally.

He?s wise, yes, but he is also driven by the need to redeem both Anakin and himself; to that end he is manipulative.

Maybe that's another reason I identified with him so well! My parents were constantly telling me what a manipulative child I was. But at least I wasn't manipulating toward a bad end O:) I think Ben is a very complex character. He feels obligation to help Luke redeem Anakin and the galaxy, but his methods of tough-love are still there in an underlying sense. He wants Luke to be who he needs to be, and this sometimes means not being straightforward with the boy.

Your whole commentary on Vader being duped once again by Obi-Wan just reinforces my belief that it's better to be a smart warrior than a strong warrior. And you know, I was just watching Braveheart yesterday and they made that point as well, so I must be right :p Honestly, though, for as powerful as Anakin is, he never really gets what he craves because he's following empty pursuits. He thinks he can get rid of this person or that memory, but it doesn't work. Obi-Wan is smart enough to know that you can't just fight all of your problems.

Definitely one of the best things about OT Obi-Wan is the way he interacts with Han Solo

ABSOLUTELY! I thought no one really felt that except me. I was thinking maybe it was my mutual Han and Obi-Wan fanaticism playing tricks on me ;) I absolutely love every moment those two are together, because there's so much banter flying around and tacit power-struggles going on. They both have such sharp wits, but it annoys Han to no end that Obi-Wan is able to be unaffected by his quips and knows just how to make the pilot squirm. It's really too bad that they didn't have more interaction than they did, because I love the combination of personalities :D

You see what I mean? I just can't get excited about the purely Skywalker aspects of Star Wars. I always found Luke to be pretty boring as a kid and though I like Anakin more, I still sympathise more with Obi-Wan's point of view. You know, I've always been odd like that, though. My favourite Ninja Turtle was Leonardo because he was sensible and level-headed. I much prefered Otis to Milo because he wasn't such a silly goof-off. I'm such an odd kid :p

-sj loves kevin spacey

7. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    solojones,
    ...Obi-Wan himself is arrogant (as I believe Yoda was trying to point out)

OK, I'm going to disagree with you there. Despite what Obi-Wan says in the OT, I've seen very little in PT Obi-Wan's behaviour to justify the label of arrogant. I think that GL has totally back-peddled on this characteristic in the PT in an effort to give the prequels a clear hero in contrast to Anakin's tragic hero.

One of the major changes that Lucas made to the established mythogy of Star Wars with TPM was to substitute Obi-Wan's finding of Anakin with Qui-Gon's. In fact the new character of Qui-Gon Jinn is much closer in personality to what we were led to believe young Obi-Wan would be like, as related to us in the OT.We were originally told that Obi-Wan was proud and arrogant and thought he knew better than Yoda - now when we see young Obi-Wan in the PT he is portrayed as a Jedi who goes by-the-book and always concedes to the councils wishes without argument, even when his instincts tell him otherwise. The one time we have seen him at odds with Yoda was when he insisted on training Anakin, and the root-cause of this was his sentimental attachment to Qui-Gon and his last request, not arrogance. As I see it Obi-Wan's only real mistake has been to ignore his instincts and honour the final request of his master.

IMO, Lucas found the original character of Obi-Wan, who was said to be reckless, proud and arrogant, too close to that of Anakin, who was also reckless, proud and arrogant; with their flaws being so similar I think he must of struggled to make the relationship dynamic work. Also he would have had the problem that there would have been no hero for the public to root for by Ep3; with Anakin a murderous turncoat and Obi-Wan the arrogant jerk that caused the problem, who is there left?

Creating the character of Qui-gon must have been incredibly convenient for GL. Qui-Gon suddenly inherited Obi-Wan's original character traits/flaws and his sins, leaving Lucas free to make Obi-Wan Anakin's opposite and largely free of blame.IMO Obi-Wan insisting on training Anakin at Qui-Gon's dying request is really just a token nod to what was said in the OT.

Edit: I cut and pasted bits of this from one of my posts in 3SA, so if you have read this stuff before, sorry!

8. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    I wouldn't say that Qui-Gon got Obi-Wab's role of finding Anakin. Obi-Wan never says that he found Anakin. Hell, in ANH, it sounds like they were equals. "I was once a Jedi Knight, the same as your father."

Obviously the story changes by ROTJ, but Obi-Wan never claims he found Anakin, merely than Anakin was his pupil..

Anyway, more espousing about Obi-Wan...

I was never a huge Obi-Wan (or Luke) fan when I was a kid; my favorite was Han. Heck, I used to reenact the scene where he slices open the Tauntaun and stuffs Luke inside over and over in the backyard.

But as I grew older, I gradually forgot about Star Wars. It just gradually faded away.

And then, one day, I found Heir To The Empire in the library.

The devotion was discovered again; I devoured HTTE in a couple of days, and it seems like next month I heard about the Special Editions coming out in the theatres. Needless to say, I dragged my mom off to the theatre to see ANH (missed TESB and ROTJ :( )

Star Wars was being rediscovered, at least by me, and still I remained a huge Han/Luke/Boba Fett fan. Master Kenobi, I really didn't pay to much attention to; he was old, he died swiftly, and he's not the kind of character that stamps himself into my mind (at least, at sixteen he didn't.)

I discovered my ancient copy of the ROTJ novelization around this time. The eight pages of glorious pictures had long since fallen out, as had a hefty chunk of the actual novel.
    But Obi-wan's revelatory piece with Luke was still there. I was entranced by his tale of the prequels and Anakin's fall into Darkness, my mental state upon hearing Anakin fell into a molten pit during their duel (which I didn't even remember hearing about before) can be roughly approximated here:

WOW!! HE FELL INTO A FRICKIN VOLCANO!! OBI-WAN'S WHY HE LOOKS LIKE THAT!!

And then came the prequels. I followed Qui-Gon's swan song with utter devotion.
    And then..Attack Of The Clones.

Obi-Wan emerged as Jedi Supreme, laying the smackdown on nasty monsters, bounty hunters, and rebellious Padawans across the galaxy. Swiftly I began to see why Tarkin sounded like he crapped his pants when Vader announces Obi-wan is on the Death Star. "Crazy Old Ben" was in fact perhaps the deadliest Jedi ever to have existed. At least, if you were a bad guy.
    And then we saw Obi-Wan's other sides. His soft, friendly side with Anakin and Dex; his hard & cold side with Dooku..and his brilliantly clever side with the Kaminoans & Jango.
    His distrustful side, with Padme. (Smart guy.)

Less than a year left to Obi-Wan's greatest triumph, which is also his lowest fall.

Hail to the King.

9. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    soitcomestothis
    I've seen very little in PT Obi-Wan's behaviour to justify the label of arrogant.

While I will agree that some of Obi-Wan's role was pushed off on Qui-Gon, I definitely can't buy into the idea that Obi-Wan's not arrogant, or those other things mentioned in the OT or by Yoda's comment in AOTC.

Let's not even consider his character in AOTC at this point, though. Remember instead that when Ben is reminding Yoda that he was reckless, impatient, angry, and arrogant (thinking he could train Anakin as well as Yoda), it was during the time when Obi-Wan was still in training. Sure, saying that Yoda was the one who taught him is a bit of a continuity stretch, but Obi-Wan does point out at the beginning of TPM that Yoda has told him some things, kind of giving the impression that Yoda's an overall life-long mentor of Obi-Wan's. Anyway, try to recall the tone and circumstances of these lines/actions.

What's this? (giving Jar-Jar a turned-up nose look)

Why do I sense we've picked up another pathetic lifeform?

I'll take care of that. (as he struts confidently over to the battle droids surrounding the pilots)

Now stay here and keep out of trouble. (as he admonishes Jar-Jar to stay in the hold)

OBI-WAN gives ANAKIN a "who are you?" look. ANAKIN returns an innocent stare. (description from the script, can be seen in the film as well)

I am ready to face the trials. (Which is immediately met with Yoda's wary response)

I will train Anakin. Without the approval of the Council if I must. (Defiant, as Yoda points out, and clearly sure of his own abilities to train Anakin)

The immense anger on Obi-Wan's face, and in his actions when fighting Maul after Qui-Gon is run through.

I think TPM could have done a better job of fleshing out young Obi-Wan, but I also think that Ewan did a great job with what he was given in interpretting it the way it needed to be. When Yoda says in ESB that there is much anger in Luke, like his father, Obi-Wan's immediate response is "Was I any different when you taught me?" To me, Ben is highlighting the fact that all young men are going to have a certain amount of youthful frustration and pride. However, I think this also highlights the fact that, unlike Anakin, young Obi-Wan had the wisdom and fortitude to reign in some of these qualities and see some of his faults.

But certainly not all of them. By AOTC, Obi-Wan is much more collected in the face of battle than he used to be. He's also learned to reign in some of the deriding comments he gives to strangers in TPM; however (quite unfortunately), he has decided instead to focus them on Anakin. The boy is certainly a handfull, but Obi-Wan's constant reminders that he is a very young padawan apprentice learner can't be helpful :p

I've always seen it as, while Obi-Wan knows much better than Anakin what the right thing to do in situations is, he has little idea of how to train Anakin. He's probably realised over the last 10 years that this challenge is one he wasn't ready for. I see his interaction in AOTC as trying to assert both of their positions. He doesn't want Anakin to make the right decisions on his own- he doesn't trust him to. There's a deleted scene with Mace and Obi-Wan where Mace basically tells him as much.

So Obi-Wan can remain the more easily identifyable hero, the guy who is always trying to fight selflessly for good, and still be flawed and partially at fault for Anakin's downfall as we hear from the OT. I think a lot of people, even people who are fans of Obi-Wan on the whole, see that he is going to be sadled with a lot of blame in Episode III. That doesn't mean he can't still be a hero, though. I think it makes it all the more poignant because we see that even heros make mistakes- they're human. Obi-Wan isn't a superhero, but rather a more identifyable hero. I don't think people will have a problem cheering for him and feeling for him in Episode III. The fact that by Episode IV he's been able to remedy many of his fa

10. AUNTIE_JEDI

AUNTIE_JEDI Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 30, 2002
    Obi-Wan is the voice of reason *usually*, but that's not to say he's without his flaws. While he's berating Anakin for his arrogance, Obi-Wan himself is arrogant (as I believe Yoda was trying to point out). He's also rather cold with Anakin.

I agree with you solojones. Obi-Wan is overconfident about his own skills to train Anakin and that leads to disaster. He trains Anakin because he promised to his own Master, Qui-Gon not because of his faith to boy's talents. "Boy is dangerous, why don't you sense it."

But I like OT Obi-Wan. He has had 20 years to think and wait the right moment to do what is his duty.

11. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Exactly, which is what makes him such an enduring and admirable hero at this point. He was man enough to change himself and brave enough to hope for a second chance. Then he did what he needed to.

I think a lot of Obi-Wan's percieved arrogance in AOTC is as much bravado as anything. I suspect that he feels immense pressure as a young man to train such an important and talented padawan. I think he feels the need to ascert himself and prove to Anakin and others (that scene with the Queen and he entrage, anyone?) that he is capable of training Anakin. But the fact that he's still unsure enough that he's trying to prove it at this point, 10 years into the training, is a bad sign.

-sj loves kevin spacey

12. AUNTIE_JEDI

AUNTIE_JEDI Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 30, 2002
    Yes, humiliating Anakin in front of senator Amidala is not the right way to train him, especially when Obi-Wan surely has an idea of Anakins emotions to the beautiful senator. But that scene is very interesting because Anakin also wants to prove in front of his beloved Padmé that he is not a boy any longer but a man. It is a battle of wills and Obi-Wan wins this round but it also raises Anakin's frustration and bitterness.

13. openmind

openmind Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    I agree A_J.

For me, I think Obi Wan tries to keep Anakin in line, especially with the Council's orders, but isn't really prepared to handle Anakin's eagerness to get on with it espcially since Anakin no ordinary Padawan learner. But when we see that eventually the Council asks Obi Wan to investigate, Anakin's mandate view eventually comes true.

I can sort of relate to Anakin's frustrations and Obi Wan is not exactly equipped to handle that frustration.

14. Xenobi

Xenobi Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2002
    OBI WAN KENOBI!!!!!!!!!! yeah!

15. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    That scene is one of my favourites. Both are set on edge because they are both trying (for different reasons) to prove themselves to their audience. Anakin having a different view from Obi-Wan is understandable, but I think Obi-Wan only opposes it because Anakin chooses this inopportune moment to bring up his thoughts. Anakin's tone is very arrogant, which raises Obi-Wan's tone to the same level.

The lines:

Why?

What?

Are so great! Such a brilliant little exchange, so much tension. You can see it reflected on the faces of the other people in the room. Anyway, when Anakin says 'Why', I can completely understand Obi-Wan's reaction. Anakin's just opened up a can of worms he definitely didn't want to ;)

-sj loves kevin spacey

16. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    I do think that part of Obi-Wan ?s problem with training Anakin is that he doesn?t understand people who don?t think like he does. He follows the code so rigidly that he?s almost in shock when Anakin breaks protocol, the first scene with Anakin and Amidala being a case in point: not only should Anakin not have made promises to the senator and contradicted Obi-Wan in public, the reason for all this, Anakin?s desire to impress the woman he is in love with, is pointing to a disaster for Anakin?s future as a Jedi. Obi-Wan really doesn?t know how to handle it at all, which is not a big surprise when you look at TPM: when Obi-Wan disagreed with Qui-Gon he waited until they were alone to voice it, then always backed-down when his master put him in his place. Qui-Gon only becomes softer with his apprentice when Obi-Wan has apologised for his behaviour. Though Kenobi is clearly vexed by his master?s maverick views he genuinely tries to understand them and keep the chain of command.

Solojones,
    I still say that Obi-Wan?s determination to carry out Qui-Gon?s last wish is more a question of loyalty (and perhaps sentimentality) rather than arrogance. If your father/teacher/hairdresser/whatever dying in your arms made you promise to bury his ashes on the summit of Mount Everest and you tried to keep that promise, I don?t think people would say :?Oh that Solojones, she thinks she?s so great that she can climb Mt Everest by herself, that?s one arrogant girl,?. They might say that you were taking a dying wish too far, or that you were blinded by your love for said father/teacher/hairdresser/whatever, but I don?t think they would say that you were arrogant.

I'll take care of that. (as he struts confidently over to the battle droids surrounding the pilots)
    I do love that Ewan gave Obi-Wan a confident swagger, I just wish that GL had let him have more free-reign. Ewan is the sort of actor who can really breathe life into a character, given half a chance.

He doesn't want Anakin to make the right decisions on his own- he doesn't trust him to. There's a deleted scene with Mace and Obi-Wan where Mace basically tells him as much.

I think that links quite well with OT Obi-Wan who only tells Luke things that will help him decide to follow the path Obi-Wan feels he should take, rather than giving him all the (admittedly painful) facts and trusting him to make the right decision. He does have a control-freak aspect to his character.

One thing I?m really looking forward to in Ep3 is seeing the by-the-book Jedi from the PT move closer to Ben from the OT. And of course the final lightsaber fight. ;)

17. Lightsabre

Lightsabre Fan Force Founder star 4 VIP

Nov 12, 1999
    How much of the 2 actors that play Obi-Wan affect your opinion of the character as it relates to the saga? Would Obi-Wan read the same in a book as he's seen on screen? What about Anakin? Frankly, I think he's been a tertiary character at this point and some of that has to do with the actors playing the role. Perhaps this will change in EP III, but I just don't think Hayden can deliver the kind of presence befitting a story-heavyweight like Anakin Skywalker. Yet, this may be Lucas' purpose, a boy who's hardly a man transformed into a machine of evil.

18. CrystalKenobi

CrystalKenobi Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    I think in some ways Obi-Wan has stolen the show. But I do wonder if in some ways that is what was suppose to happen even if Lucas says its about Anakin.

I may say some things that has already been said, so please forgive me, but I wanted to try to post my thoughts.

For me before the PT came out I had always liked Obi-wan's character for many reasons over others. 1. Because there is a mystery surrounding him that we don't know all of at this point before PT came out and I had always wanted to know more about him. When we see him in OT we see him as an old man who looks sad, tired, but yet there is a sense of purpose that radiants from him. Only gradually do we find out some of that purpose but we don't know all the driving force behind it until the PT. 2. In the PT I see his character as someone to relate to. He seems to be one of the few characters that has at some point gone thru all the human emotions thru lots of experiences from his training to training Anakin to leading the clone armies, to falling in love (JA apprentice books, I hope we can use books as a reference here)etc. He knows what it is to love someone both his master as a father and to love a girl and knows the consequences of those loves. Sometimes when we get hurt especially the way Obi-Wan has been hurt emotionally thru love, we hide behind a mixed mask of arrogance, calmness, indifference, etc to advoid letting people see how we feel or to advoid being hurt again. Some people just don't show emotions. I'm one of those kind I don't show my emotions in public and I've always thought for the most part that Obi-Wan does tend to hide his true emotions. When he gets after Aankin I often think its because partly he doesn't want Anakin to be hurt as he was. But there are times when he does seem to show his true emotions when he jokes, or that slight smile he gives. (this is just some of my thoughts on this part, trying to put all this into words is not easy for me,sorry). 3. If we include books, Obi-wan left the order for his love and when he went back into the order he found out how tough it was for the other jedi to trust him etc and I often think that is one reason for him being so strict in regards to the rules, part of him is afraid of that if he doesn't obey exactly he will be for the lack of a better word thrown out of the order. Some times I see that Obi-wan is similar to Anakin but knows how to see that he has made mistakes and corrects them etc. Because of this similarity, he is very tough on Anakin. Think of it like a parent and child, sometimes parents are tough on their child because they don't want them to make the same mistakes as they did. Sometimes parents figure out that by explaining how thier lives were at that age what their mistakes were etc to their children it would help the child to realize why the parent is so tough and see that its because they love them. Very rarely does Obi_wan talk about his life with QG and what his mistakes were. I often think that if Obi-wan did talk to Anakin more about his life etc that things might be different. IN OT we see Obi-wan telling about Anakin to luke when he says he was a good friend. I really think that Obi-wan truly has come to love Anakin as a brother, friend and in many ways a son, he just doesn't tell Ankain that, and lets face it we all like to hear that we are loved from our parents, friends, family etc. 3. I think Obi-wan has started the transition to Ben during the Clone Wars and maybe even some in AOTC espcecially seen in the book. I don't want to do any spoilers so I won't go into details. But the last book I read I see Obi-wan more as Ben or maybe for the lack of a better way of saying it, more human than the rigid jedi.

4. I do agree that Obi-wan is the constant in the saga. He is needed, the saga would not be the same. Everyone needs a anchor to lean on for advice, support etc and Obi-wan gives that from time to time.

I have to go for now but would like to post more thoughts at a later time. But in summary,

I think of Obi-wan as the br

19. Emperor_Windy

Emperor_Windy Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 25, 2003
    obi-wan kenobi is the ideal jedi knight...in every way possible

20. Calantha

Calantha Jedi Master star 2

Oct 25, 2002
    I do think Obi-Wan's become many people's favorite - but I don't know if that's really stealing the show. It doesn't seem uncommon for supporting characters to be favorites. Very rarely is Harry Potter someone's favorite character. Most people prefer Ron, Hermione or Lupin. Same with Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Everyone seems to care most about Giles, Willow or Spike. I'm no sure though why that would be. :confused: Perhaps they're more relatable?

I saw Episode I first, and Obi-Wan was immediately the character I identified most with. When he said "What's that?" in respect to Jar-Jar, cruel as the comment may have been, that's exactly what I was thinking.

lightsaber, I think you have a good point. Obi-Wan did get two of the best actors in the saga. I think I might have more interest in Anakin had he been better acted. Still, Obi-Wan would likely come out as my favorite, even in novel form. I think I am closer in temperament to him than any of the other characters (except maybe Luke [face_blush]).

Also, the poll solojones referred to is highly biased. The population that voted was made up of people who love Star Wars so much that they would discuss it on the internet. I can't prove this, but I suspect that it's a certain kind of person who will discuss and debate, in written form, with people they've never met, about a movie, just for the fun of it.

I think most people choose their favorite character based either on who they relate to most, or who they admire the most. Perhaps the character of Obi-Wan has some kind of relation to the sort of person who enjoys being on the boards?

21. Obi-Ewan

Obi-Ewan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 24, 2000
    Obi-Wan doesn't accept Anakin out of arrogance, or thinking he can do it better than Yoda. He does it out of loyalty to Qui-Gon. That he just finished training doesn't disqualify him from training an apprentice--Chosen One or not. He trains Anakin all the way to Jedi Knight. Any decisions Anakin makes are his own mistakes, solely. Obi-Wan trained him well, and treats Luke the same. As does Yoda.

22. Obi-Ewan

Obi-Ewan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 24, 2000
    Palpatine chose Dooku because he didn't want to have to train a new apprentice from scratch--he wanted an apprentice where the work had already been done for him. Dooku was trained by none other than Yoda, the greatest of the Jedi. He wouldn't have picked Anakin if Anakin hadn't had the best training available. And Anakin, as we now know, was a fully trained Jedi Knight, no longer a Padawan. Sure that says something about Obi-Wan's training.

23. PMT99

PMT99 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 23, 2000
    The fact that Obi-wan told Yoda that he will train Anakin without the council's approval showed his arrogance and just because Obi-wan finished his training doesn't mean he was ready to take on an apprentice because he would need more time to adjust to being a Jedi Knight before he is capable of training his own padawan. If Obi-wan trained Anakin well, then Anakin would never have gone Dark Side because he would have learned to control his emotions, keep cool in the face of danger, and he would have learned from his own mistakes so he would've turned out like Obi-wan did. Instead, Anakin has to put up with Obi-wan's control-freakiness and be force to defy him to do what he thinks is right and whenever Anakin faces criticism from his master and peers, he looks up to Palpatine who is only corrupting his mind with false wisdom. If Anakin is acting like a spoiled brat and on the verge of going Dark Side, then that means that Obi-wan is doing something wrong.

Another thing, Dooku was 60 years past being Yoda's pupil while Anakin had just graduated to Knight status so this comparison doesn't count.

24. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    It's been fantastic to see such a fleshing out of not only Anakin Skywalker, but his mentor Obi-Wan Kenobi as well. We've gained tremendous insight into the man, his thoughts, feelings, and methods, and Ep3 should really round things off for Kenobi.

I wouldn't say he's stolen the whole show, but the character of Obi-Wan Kenobi has been a tremendous success for Lucas and the other SW writers, with excellent turns from both Guiness and McGregor.

25. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    soitcomestothis
    I definitely agree that Obi-Wan?s motivation for training Anakin is out of loyalty to Qui-Gon and honouring the promise he made. However, don?t you think that the dissenting voices on the matter would have pushed Obi-Wan into also feeling he needed to prove something to the other Jedi? Especially those who didn?t believe in Anakin and Obi-Wan?s ability to train him?

I do love that Ewan gave Obi-Wan a confident swagger, I just wish that GL had let him have more free-reign. Ewan is the sort of actor who can really breathe life into a character, given half a chance.

Here here! When I read things about how GL kept telling Ewan *not* to add some little thing or other to Obi-Wan?s line delivery to make him not so stoic, I groan. George, listen to me- you are a director, and not a great actor?s director by all accounts including your own. Ewan is one of the best actors around. Who do you think should be making the acting decisions here?! I think in AotC, GL started to see this more and let Ewan put more life into the character. Nobel or not, Obi-Wan still has to have this signature wryness about him, or he?s not Obi-Wan.

He does have a control-freak aspect to his character.

Right, he gets better, but he still can?t completely trust people. Obi-Wan is clearly into order and control. I?m pretty sure he?s OCD :p

lightsabre
    How much of the 2 actors that play Obi-Wan affect your opinion of the character as it relates to the saga?

Star Wars aside, I love both Alec and Ewan. They?re among my favourite actors. I?m sure this has biased me quite a bit. But they?ve also both contributed great performances to the SW films, so I don?t feel too bad about it ;)

Would Obi-Wan read the same in a book as he's seen on screen? What about Anakin?

I don?t know about that exactly. I don?t read SW novels much, really. I do know, however, that when I write Obi-Wan in fics, he kind of fluctuates between Alec?s performance, Ewan?s performance, and something of my own ideas on the character. I do know, however, that the only characterisations of Obi-Wan in fics that I like are those that I could picture one of the actors playing. When he?s changed drastically from the way he is in the films, I just don?t care for him. But see, to me, that?s not really Obi-Wan anymore.

As for Anakin? I don?t hate Anakin at all. I like him a lot better than Luke. I can feel for some of his struggles, but mostly I still feel he needs to grow up. I do know, though, that I didn?t like Luke at all in the films for the longest time. I was surprised that when I read the novelizations of the OT, I liked Luke a lot better and felt a lot more for him. I don?t know what it was. I?m not bashing Mark at all, I think he did great with the character he decided to portray. But that really whiny kind of character just didn?t appeal to me. I still don?t like how he comes across in the movies very well? not as well as he does to me in the books.

Crystal
    I think Obi-Wan is someone who holds everyone, including himself, to a high standard. I?ve noticed that people who are more orderly, intellectual, and perfectionists tend to be Obi-Wan fans because they relate more to him (I?m in this category;)). I?ve found that Anakin fans tend to be more laid back, artistic, and free spirited. It?s all about who you relate to.

I agree that, deeper inside, Obi-Wan isn?t just some stoic, boring person. I believe he could be as emotional as Anakin, he is just more private. For a Jedi, his personality is probably better. He serves as the solid anchor, the one real constant ?good guy? we can root for throughout the saga (besides the droids :p). Anakin doesn?t have that appeal because, while his character may be something people can relate to, once his actions turn so sadistic, you can only like him in the ?wow, Vader?s an awesome badguy!? sense. You can feel sorry for him and hope for Anakin?s return, but he?s still not the sympathetic character.

I don?t think Obi-Wan is by any means

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.