Has Star Wars become a science experiment?

Discussion in 'Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by CMoney, Oct 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CMoney Jedi Knight

star 1
    Now hear me out before the flaming begins. I think that the PT had a lot of potential, given the list of actors whoes credentials are incredible. But I have got to say that after seeing AOTC I have lost some faith in Mr. Lucas.

The problem is not the CGI itself but how it is used. Let me compare AOTC to Lord of the Rings for a minute. In LOTR they were very selective of how the graphics were to be used. Most of the CGI is used to give grandios lanscape shots of the incredible environments. There is very little CGI on up close shots when there is character dialogue.

The use of the CGI was out of control in AOTC. I got the feeling that I was watching a cartoon sometimes instead of real movie. And I know that I am not the only one who thinks that the CGI YOda was not a good idea. Maybe for the fight sequences but the up close shots are a far cry from the puppet we came to know and love in the OT. Dex was another dissapointment for me. His facial features are obscured and he stood out like a sore thumb. But the worst by far was the aliens at the Seperatist meeting. The flathead guy was almost embarassing to look at.

Liam Neeson was right to say what he did. I am not saying these things out of anger or anything like that. This is just constructive criticism. I don't think that I would be doing my duty as a fan not to bring up this issue. My worst fear is that Episode III becomes another CGI fest with sub par, unconvincing acting.

My point: I think that Lucas is more interested in pushing the CGI envelope than making a quality film that utilizes the talent of its actors. The CGI is only there to enhance the story, not to tell the story itself.
  2. merlin Force Ghost

star 4
    [color=663300]I don't see one way that CGI hurts the star wars saga. He's telling a story, and if CGI is the way he wants to tell it, then so be it.

BTW, this probably belongs in the Star Wars Saga forum, and not in Ep. III. [/color]
  3. Mace Windy Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I think merlin has the right idea. Your topic does not belong in this forum. Star Wars Saga seems to be your best bet. :)

:cool: Mace Windy,
    too windy for spoilers!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.