main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Has TFA started an adult-oriented Star Wars trend?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Sepra, Jan 20, 2016.

1. Sepra

Sepra Force Ghost star 5

Jan 14, 2016
    Ok, if that's true, then what are the really humorous moments that kids got? It wasn't the "high treason" line. I guess that's my question really. What were these really great comedy moments that the kids loved?

I grant that ROTS is still the darkest. I think differently about that one because I feel like it had to be. TFA didn't necessarily and it was also rebooting a franchise so it's setting a tone for later films. Also, there was some silliness in ROTS in the buzz droids and the R2 vs the battle droids.

2. Stoneymonster

Stoneymonster Force Ghost star 4

May 8, 2002

Everything with BB8, lots of Rey's lines and behavior. C3PO. Finn's attitude and bluster. "Moof-milker". Han's failure to talk himself out of things. Kids are smarter than we give them credit for. They don't need fart jokes to laugh. I sat next to lots of kids in the showings I went to (not 6 year olds, but 9 and older probably) and they were laughing pretty much where the adults were. This is the funniest SW movie by far to me, and I don't think the humor was "adult".

Edit: More things I remember kids laughing at: Maz's lines and behavior. Ren's tantrums (especially the one where the troopers bugged out). Poe sassing Kylo.

3. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    There was no real "hanging out with the characters" scene in TFA. Everything felt rushed, like "okay, let's get this scene over with for the ADD crowd." I feel some scenes should have been at least a minute longer. That's the difference between TFA and ANH.

4. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    No, I'd argue that ESB is easily a darker film than TFA as well.

Dewback likes this.
  5. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014

Here's a piece of advice, insulting people with a different viewpoint, doesn't help your argument.

6. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014

-Everything with BB-8.
    -A lot of Finn's dialogue.
    -A lot of Finn's interactions with Rey.
    -Some of Poe's dialogue, especially his "do you talk first, or do I talk first" line.
    -Kylo's sarcastic streak, and people's reactions to his temper tantrum's.
    -Han/Chewie dynamic.
    -Han/Finn scenes.
    -Reference to the "trash compactor."
    -Chewie in general a lot of the time.
    -C-3PO's re-introduction.
    -Etc.

There were LOTS of things that my audience found funny.

7. TooMuchBBQ

TooMuchBBQ Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 4, 2014
    Right...more like the Falcon transit scenes in ANH. Where they have some time to breath and discuss things, for a minute.

Sarge likes this.
  8. StarKiller81

StarKiller81 Jedi Master star 3

Nov 19, 2014
    Well Lucas himself claimed the PT was for kids after the backlash so I suppose so. TFA could have done with less humor but was certainly adult enough.

9. Bacbacca

Bacbacca Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2011
    TFA was probably the most kid-friendly SW film.

The Cantina scene was super tame. No one was smoking, drinking, loving, fighting, nothing was really going on but people playing some games. It was super tame. The most "edgy" stuff was the girl leaning on the Walrus dude.

10. MidKnighT

MidKnighT Force Ghost star 4

May 23, 2005

Nah TPM is the most kid friendly for sure.

Darth__Lobot and TheOneX_Eleazar like this.
  11. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    Heck ROTJ as well. AOTC was just so boring and painful to sit through that kids might not like it.

12. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    When it comes to the target audience, I've always seen Star Wars as being similar to Doctor Who or The Simpsons in that it transcends the restriction of generation and simply speaks to the
    audience that finds it interesting. To me, this best explains why the Star Wars audience is so culturally diverse among various age groups. The farthest i'd go toward describing an age group for Star Wars is that it is a film for adults that children can comfortably enjoy. But, I don't think this really does it justice either. At the same time, it just feels wrong to think of Star Wars as simply child oriented.

13. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I agree. One of the appeals of SW is that it is really "all ages", I think. This has always been the case.

14. Bacbacca

Nov 26, 2011
    You are going straight to Binks and Anakin but ignoring all the stuff around it.

15. Stoneymonster

May 8, 2002
    TPM was largely bloodless. The fighting in TFA was more personal (no droid action), bloody and full of anger. I really don't think there's a contest. Many friends I know were very hesitant to take their 8 year-olds and similar to TFA after seeing it themselves. They have no such worries about TPM.

16. Bacbacca

Nov 26, 2011
    Bloody? Finn got some blood on his helmet once and that's all.
    The rest were faceless troopers falling.
    BTW, the droids were shooting at living beings.

17. Stoneymonster

May 8, 2002

The blood on Finn's helmet came from a bloody trooper, who was shown. Kylo bleeding in the snow. For the most part the droids were shooting at nameless Gungans and Naboo guards.
    I don't know why I'm arguing about this, all I can say is what many people I knew said: this was too violent for their young kids.

It's not a contest anyway, who cares? Saying one or the other is more kid-friendly isn't necessarily a slight. Every aspect of TFA doesn't have to be found wanting through some convoluted comparison.

DarthCricketer and AmySolo like this.
  18. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    I went to see TFA for the second time with my 8 year old nephew, my 6 year old nephew, and my 5 year old niece. They all loved it like they love all Star Wars. They don't need teddy bears, slapstick gungans, silly voices, or fart jokes to love Star Wars, just like I didn't. Cool characters, adventure, spaceships, lightsabers all work pretty well for them. Kids aren't stupid. Stop cynically talking down to them.

19. Bacbacca

Nov 26, 2011
    Blood came from his hand. We dont even see anything else, the same with Ren. It's just there. We know where it comes from but there is no focus on it.

BTW, Maul got chopped in half and we see both parts falling.

There were living beings where you could actually see their faces. They weren't totally armored faceless things.

Kay. Those people can say that.

??? is the point of the thread. If you dont care to discuss it why are you posting?

??? Who said any of this is a slight?
    What are you talking about?

Dude, step off the comp of a bit and chill.

20. Stoneymonster

May 8, 2002
    I'm quite chill, I assure you.

[​IMG]

21. Heroic BB-8

Heroic BB-8 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 29, 2015
    seems very much in the same vein as the rest of the saga to me.

/shrug

Dewback, jaqen and Pro Scoundrel like this.
  22. McLaren

McLaren Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 1, 2002
    Perhaps the trite but true: Star Wars is for kids of all ages? Being an adult often requires rejecting childish things. But, Star Wars is a refuge of sorts where, if one wants to, it is OK to embrace your inner 8 year old. You know, the one who giggles at poo jokes and funny voices and probably doesn't have any thoughts of killing their old man.

DebonaireNerd likes this.
  23. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012

"There's no point being grown-up if you can't be childish sometimes."

[​IMG]

24. Millennium Falcon 888

Millennium Falcon 888 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    Well, what I can say is this: Star Wars is for everyone, whether a young child, a teenager, or those who are young-at-heart... Everyone can enjoy the SW movies, that's for sure!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Force Smuggler likes this.
  25. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015

Um - you know that Kylo brutally murders his father right? That's 100x more f-ed up than anything in TPM

DarthCricketer and darth elyk like this.