main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Has the law swung too much in favor of protecting children?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Duckman, Aug 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rebecca191

Rebecca191 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 2, 1999
    But sex causes far more difficult choices. I know there is a risk to driving, but I consider myself a good driver, and I will do anything I can to prevent getting into an accident.

2. Maveric

Maveric Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 17, 1999
    You can't kill someone by having sex.

It really depends on what you are into! [face_mischief]

3. gwaernardel

gwaernardel Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    lol @ Maveric

But just as there are careful drivers, there are those who are careful with sex. If a person is a good driver and they can pass a test saying that they are careful enough to not go out and kill someone, who's to say that that same person won't be just as careful in choosing who to have sex with and taking precautions accordingly?

4. Rebecca191

Nov 2, 1999
    Precautions can fail, and what then? I know I'm not ready to be a mother (I doubt most people my age are), but it would be too hard for me to have an abortion or give a child up for adoption. Sometimes those difficult personal choices are the hardest of them all.

5. gwaernardel

Nov 5, 2001
    Precautions can also fail while driving. Even the best drivers in the world get into accidents. Personally, I'd rather find myself responsible for creating a life than destroying one.

6. Rebecca191

Nov 2, 1999
    Driving is more neccesary than sex, in any case, so I believe for teenagers, it is more worth the risk. At least where I live, if you can't drive, and your parents aren't home, you're stuck in the house, because there is absolutley no other way to get around.

7. stevo

stevo Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 14, 2001
    Necessity has nothing to do with it.

8. gwaernardel

Nov 5, 2001
    I think my comments on this would be better suited to a driving thread, so I'll refrain. But driving is really not necessary. Where is it that you would need to go? Besides, I don't think that something having a lesser degree of necessity warrants it being illegal.

9. Maveric

Oct 17, 1999
    because there is absolutley no other way to get around.

Ride a bike.

10. Rebecca191

Nov 2, 1999
    Ride a bike? Are you kidding? Not the kind of distance I am talking about, and certainly not in this weather.

11. KaineDamo

KaineDamo Jedi Youngling star 5

Mar 6, 2002
    Get a bus.

I can't belief you said driving is more necessary than sex. Wow!

12. TeeBee

TeeBee Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 2, 2002
    Driving is more neccesary than sex

In one's daily secular life, I would have to concur with this statement, particularly if one lives in a rural area with no bus system. One must get to work somehow, no?

Obviously in the vast scheme of things, it is not true. We don't propogate the race by driving.

I'm sure Rebecca meant it in the former example and not the latter.

13. Rebecca191

Nov 2, 1999
    Yes, I meant the former. Driving is neccesary in your daily life if you live in an area with very, very limited public transit. Maybe in the city you don't, but in the suburbs you do. And if the only purpose of sex was reproduction, and nothing else, people would only have to have sex a few times in their entire lives, so...

14. Maveric

Oct 17, 1999
    We don't propogate the race by driving.
    No, we turn off the car and jump in the backseat for that.

15. Rebecca191

Nov 2, 1999
    Maveric.... [face_plain] [face_plain]

16. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Okay, back on track.

17. Maveric

Oct 17, 1999
    Sorry, couldn't resist.

18. TeeBee

Apr 2, 2002
    No, we turn off the car and jump in the backseat for that.

Ummmm... actually I was going to say such a thing and only half in jest. ;) Giving a teen keys to the car is also giving them an opportunity to succumb to temptation, or prove their capability to make informed decisions.

It is at this point immaturity and normal teenage impulsiveness could override values taught in upbringing, facts taught at school, and simple common sense. It is at this point the teen decides/proves he/she can control themselves, resist the lure of natural curiosity, and even more, sacrifice the immediate gratification of the moment for the higher good of protecting their physical and emotional well being.

That is a very real test of maturity. And it is commendable when it is passed with flying colors.

19. gwaernardel

Nov 5, 2001
    And again, I must ask, is the fact that sex is less necessary than driving enough reason for it to be illegal? I can think of a lot of things that are very unnecessary that are legal. Look at fast food. Yes, a 16-year-old can be seduced in a way by fast food and can eat way too much and become obese and have health problems. But there's no law against it.

And TeeBee, you make excellent points. This is exactly what I'm talking about when I say that it takes a certain level of maturity to drive.

20. darthmomm

darthmomm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 16, 2001
    ok...my take on these issues. Being a mom of an 11 year old boy, the teen years are coming up. I am a YOUNG mother of an 11 year old. I am 32, had him young. So, I do remember quite well, my teenage years.

Driving.
    I have no problem allowing a 16 year old to drive. In fact, some families need for thier 16 year olds to drive. BUT....I believe in it being restricted.
    No more than 2 passengers in a car at a time.
    They have to be off the roads by 10:30.
    Extensive driver training.....with a probation period.

There are states that have those laws. Accident rates go down dramatically.

Now...

SEX

I have said this before..if you are 18...and your Partner is 15.....there is an issue. 15 is a child. I know the 15 year olds out there will be mad at me.....but, they are still children. I believe that the age of consent should be 17.

21. Rebecca191

Nov 2, 1999
    I think Driver's Ed should be mandatory. The class was really helpful for me, and I learned a lot about how to be a safe driver, and the rules of the road.

22. gwaernardel

Nov 5, 2001
    Sorry, but why does any 16-year-old need to drive? I know several 16-year-olds that don't and survive just fine.

23. darthmomm

darthmomm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 16, 2001
    There are families that need thier child to have an income. They need to get to work.

I survived until I was 19 without a license.

24. gwaernardel

Nov 5, 2001
    Yes, but the cases where it's absolutely necessary for a 16-year-old to have an income are rare. But in certain cases, you can get a special restricted license. In my state you can get a farmer's permit or a special medical license at the age of 15.

25. TeeBee

Apr 2, 2002
    For the record, I have not even owned a car since 1998 and get around quite well. It really depends upon your individual circumstances. If you live in the boonies, it's gonna be tough. If you live in a city with crappy public transporation, it's gonna be tough.

I believe that the age of consent should be 17.

That sounds pretty good to me. I also think the age of consent for sex should match the age one can marry without parental permission. Does it always? It would be senseless not to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.