main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

has the PT, especially ROTS, captured the essence that was present in the OT?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by DARK_HELMET_05, Jun 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Quixotic-Sith

Quixotic-Sith Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 22, 2001
    The PT just seems qualitatively different than the OT: separate stories, separate characters, etc. I don't think that the chemistry is there, so I had a hard time feeling empathy or sympathy for the characters, but that's just me. I didn't really feel the OT in the PT until the last shot of ROTS, when Owen and Beru are looking into the twin sunset.

2. theN00_Jedi

theN00_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 26, 2005
    interesting take, except I read at a university reading level when I was 8 years old, and I'll admit that while the OT dialogue took some time to grow on me, the PT dialogue is about on par with what you'd find in show with a big purple dinosaur..

...the problem is that you can't be a critical 'adult' with all the movies, because the love the saga folks, seem to think the PT is perfect, and the OT should be burned, there isn't really a middle ground that anyone is willing to find

I'll be the first to admit the OT is far from perfect, but I doubt any of the saga people could say the same about the PT, and obviously not for lack of fault

3. Darth_Ambitious

Darth_Ambitious Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 3, 2004
    Whoever said the PT is darker and more serious than the OT is simply delusional and out of there mind.

No the PT doesnt capture the essence of the OT.

4. TCG

TCG Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 22, 2005
    wow! great post. you nailed it. we LOVED the jedi during the OT. they were true heroes of a bygone era. the PT exposed them to be... like you said, rather uncompelling.

5. wcleere

wcleere Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2002
    the love the saga folks, seem to think the PT is perfect, and the OT should be burned, there isn't really a middle ground that anyone is willing to find

With overly generalized comments like that I wonder why.

6. ProphesiedChosenOne1

ProphesiedChosenOne1 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 21, 2005
  7. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003

There are times in aotc and rots when I think it comes close to capturing the essence -
    I rather liked the moment when they're all in the arena and there's that bit of banter between obi and anakin and the fight with the 3 creatures felt pretty star warsy .

And I quite liked some of the first 20 minutes of rots.

dramatically I thought the scene between obi and anakin at the end of rots is pretty strong .

But the thing is I never had a problem with it being different for instance I preferred Mcdiarmid's performance in tpm and aotc to his more pantomime portrayal in ROJ and ROTS .

But tpm seems almost entirely redundant to me, the only essential scene is Anakin leaving is mother .

g

8. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    Let's remember not to discuss the fans, focus on the films. Darth_Ambitious, you're pushing the line with comments like that.

9. theN00_Jedi

theN00_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 26, 2005
    that was meant to be sarcastic, but somebody put the whole thing in italics[face_laugh]

oh well

10. DARTHCLANDESTINE

DARTHCLANDESTINE Jedi Youngling star 3

May 17, 2005
    Well since Ep. ROTS is 20 years before the "OT", I can't even answer this question. :p

11. colivo

colivo Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 25, 2004
    My whole point is many people from the OT generation went into the prequels expecting more of the OT,

Well I'm sure they were hoping for OT quality but I highly doubt that they were expecting more OT - they knew these were prequels, they knew the classic characters wouldn't be there and they knew where the story was going to end in tragedy.

I agree with you, but you hear so many people that say the prequels needed a Han Solo character. I always say, they are jedi's, that don't have personalities like that. The OT had Luke and Han, total opposites during ANH, and that was fun. Lucas was pigeon holed because he couldn't have Anakin or Kenobi making smart ass remarks that sounded cool like Solo did.

but Lucas went a different way and took us on a ride toward the macro-world of Star Wars, instead the micro-world of the OT(Han, Luke, Leia, Vader, etc.) The prequels have many things going on, but overall they are about Anakin. The OT is about the rebels vs. the Empire, end of story.

:confused:
    I don't understand, you're saying that the PT is a macro story but that it's mainly about anakin ?
    And the OT is a micro-world which is about the rebels vs. the empire , but if it's about the rebels vs. the empire isn't that a macro story ?

The whole point of the prequels is about Anakin's fall, but there is much more going on than just Anakin. You have the whole jedi order being naive and unwilling to change, and that in a sense led to the downfall. You have the subtle rise of Senator Palpaltine to Chancellor to Emperor. You have the creation of the clones army which are used for the republic but eventually become their undoing. If you were to watch the prequels, and never have seen the OT, you will be wondering all through the three movies, what is each persons motives, and how will this turn out.

The OT was basic good vs. evil (I am saying that positively because I love the OT) Sure Han Solo is a grey guy in ANH, but by the middle of ESB, as a child, you either wanted to be Han or Luke. And you always thought of Vader as the ultimate bad guy. The plot wasn't as indepth in the OT, and that is what made them great.

12. __Jedi__

__Jedi__ Jedi Youngling star 1

May 23, 2005
    no i dont think so, but like everyone has said i dont think it was supposed to. the PT is a whole different beast on its own. i loved the OT but i also really loved the PT. i think the PT is as amazing as the OT, just in a different way. the PT gives me a feel that the OT doesnt, and vise-versa.

13. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    It's all one complete movie for me now. I don't find myself comparing the first part of the story with the last. Each episode has it's own specialized part to play, none of them are meant to "recapture" the other episodes. They are all meant to augment the other episodes.

14. Darth_Ambitious

Darth_Ambitious Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 3, 2004
    The PT doesnt capture the essence of the OT. The PT is shiny, bright, and pretty compared to the plain, dark, and dull OT. Just watch the movies, the PT is a giant video game and the OT is visually not up to par. However I like the OT look. To be plain, it looks real! The ships were all models not CGI. The sets were real, not mostly green screen with one or two real objects. The OT seems like quality and time was put into it. I remember it only took about 6 weeks to film ROTS the rest was special effects. Perhaps if the PT blended more real sets with CGI it would feel real.

Please dont even go on about how Lucas did use models and CGI together. He did but only on occasion, about 70% of the new films are CGI. There were even articles about Liam Neeson complaining about too much green screen on the sets. The amount of green screen definately made it harder for the actors which is probably why the acting is so bad.

15. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    I agree with you, but you hear so many people that say the prequels needed a Han Solo character

Yes I have seen people say that, but they don't mean it literally, they're usually giving ideas about what is wrong with the PT , they're talking about how the PT needs a character like Han that will serve as an antidote to the straight hero stuff , someone who can contrast with them .
    Actually I think Lucas did think about this when writing it and that's what JJ was meant to do, he is after all quite a contrast, but the damn thing just didn't work .

I always say, they are jedi's, that don't have personalities like that

Well there's no rule that says the jedi have to be all the same, in fact Yoda in ESB was great cos he had quite a quirky personality . Would've been great if we'd had a jedi in the PT who was more funny and eccentric for instance , Obi could've been more interesting, he had some moments, they can have a sense of humor.

The whole point of the prequels is about Anakin's fall, but there is much more going on than just Anakin

The OT was basic good vs. evil (I am saying that positively because I love the OT)

Well I think there's a lot more going on in the OT as well as Luke and basic good vs. evil - we get a lot of very important stuff about the rise of the rebellion, the battles are very significant in the OT they aren't just 'fake' wars . Then of course we get characters like Han, Lando and Jabba all of whom have their own stories and impact greatly on the story . Neither han nor Lando are clear-cut good guys.
    And of course the Force is explained and taught to Luke in great depth in ESB (another reason I think the films should be watched IV-VI and then I - III)

Both trilogies have their intimate stories and their larger stories .
    Some may say that the PT has a more 'complex' story, but I don't agree, it has it's share of Machiavellian plotting by Sidious but then the OT has a lot of complex stuff going on by Ben Yoda , Vader and the Emp who are all trying to manoever or manipulate Luke .

And you always thought of Vader as the ultimate bad guy

Well I did until the end of ESB and then it got very much more complicated ! And even more so in ROJ , I remember feeling sorry for Vader when he and Luke talk on Endor, after which I had no idea which way the story was gonna go .

The OT had a lot of complex stuff that was going on which was not just plot but which was also very emotional and character driven.

g

16. DARTHCLANDESTINE

DARTHCLANDESTINE Jedi Youngling star 3

May 17, 2005
    ESB was great cos he had quite a quirky personality.

Wasn't it a test for Luke. To see how patient he could be? [face_thinking]

17. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    Wasn't it a test for Luke. To see how patient he could be?

you're referring to the way he behaved before Luke realised he was Yoda yeah?
    But even after that he was rather unpredictable, I remember being quite taken aback by his reaction to Luke when Luke says "I'm not afraid" and Yoda says in a rather chilling manner "You will be, you will be."
    And he can be really funny - "When 900 years old you reach look as good you will not!" he and Luke had a great chemistry , Yoda was such a fascinating and eccentric character in the OT , he was wise but definitely a bit weird , dark and funny at times .

g

18. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    The PT felt like it had to the essence that was in the OT to me. It's all Star Wars to me and I don't try to compare one trilogy to the other.

At least Lucas came up with a trilogy that had a different feel to it instead of remaking the first three again with his new technology.

19. LukeCloudjogger

LukeCloudjogger Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 9, 2005
    It this topic basically asking if the PT is as GOOD as the OT or what?

And rumsmuggler, good point. I think it was a good idea for Lucas to not repeat the OT over again with the prequels. I have no problem with the approach. Just the execution.

20. SILVERDRAKE

SILVERDRAKE Jedi Youngling

Jul 27, 2005
    i appologize in advance this will be rude.
    if you have any ear at all and can listen to music that doesn't have to have rude lyrics and no beat you can tell that the republic theme used at the end of AotC when they are loading the clones is a direct rip-off of the imperially theme. that and i thought the fact that they used a completely vocal theme in the second movie was beautiful.

21. SILVERDRAKE

Jul 27, 2005
    painful? they were remarkable. for one thing padme spends most of the first movie treating him like her kid brother. remember this may not be romeo & juliet but there had to be a degree of innocence between the two of them.

22. SILVERDRAKE

Jul 27, 2005

according to lucas himself he did the ot back then because he didn't have the tech to do pt first. that and if you remember they re-did the ot in about '95ish and not much more than cleanup work needed to be done for them to equal tpm

23. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    DUDE! :eek:

What's with posting 3 time in a row??? :rolleyes:

24. SILVERDRAKE

Jul 27, 2005
    fart joke where see fart joke i no see fart jokes, no see slap stick either.

25. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    Have you not seen TPM -> fart joke = Eopie
    -> slapstick humour = Jar Jar

:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.