main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

has the PT, especially ROTS, captured the essence that was present in the OT?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by DARK_HELMET_05, Jun 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SILVERDRAKE

SILVERDRAKE Jedi Youngling

Jul 27, 2005
    the reason the person says it bridges the gap is the very reasons i've been waiting 12 years for rots. there are hint in the ot that come to light in rots

2. RevantheJediMaster

RevantheJediMaster Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 12, 2005
    I hope the upcoming Star Wars Live Action TV Series captures the essence of both the OT and the PT. I thought the OT and PT were great I don't think the PT was supposed to capture the essence of the OT. It was a tragedy the PT shows the fall of a hero the OT shows the rise of a hero. ROTS is my favorite Star Wars movie and some moments in ROTS and the other prequels capture the essence of the OT.

3. DARTHCLANDESTINE

DARTHCLANDESTINE Jedi Youngling star 3

May 17, 2005
    Luke says "I'm not afraid" and Yoda says in a rather chilling manner "You will be, you will be."

Well of course he had to be that way. Luke doesn't realize that fear is a natural thing and shouldn't deny it can happen. The main thing is that he will need to control it, or suffer his father's fate. Yoda already recognizes Luke is like his father.

Oh, and I am captivated by Yoda's line. Great stuff;goes without saying! :D

4. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    Well of course he had to be that way. Luke doesn't realize that fear is a natural thing and shouldn't deny it can happen. The main thing is that he will need to control it, or suffer his father's fate. Yoda already recognizes Luke is like his father.

I think you're slipping away from the point I was making - you said :

"I always say, they are jedi's, that don't have personalities like that "

to which i replied:
    Well there's no rule that says the jedi have to be all the same, in fact Yoda in ESB was great cos he had quite a quirky personality . Would've been great if we'd had a jedi in the PT who was more funny and eccentric for instance , Obi could've been more interesting, he had some moments, they can have a sense of humor.

Jedis can be interesting/flamboyant/eccentric whatever , so citing the fact that they're jedi as some sort of excuse for their dullness doesn't work .

g

5. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    I concur, and the fact that Obi-wan became a more lively and interesting character in RotS is good proof of this.

6. StampidHD280pro

StampidHD280pro Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    This is how I felt. At one time in my young life (1994-1998) I was a happy young jedi knight. I watched TPM twice in theaters, bought the VHS and watched it once. I felt lost in the unfamiliar characters and complicated plot. My interest in Star Wars vanished as I entered puberty. I watched AOTC once. I was satisfied, but it still wasn't magic. I rented it once and didn't finish it. Boring.
    I walked into Episode 3 not expecting much more than a slightly more violent version of episodes 1 and 2. The opening scene was breathtaking and it is my favorite special effects scene in the entire saga. THIS is the Clone Wars at its fully-fleshed out ugly self. If that wasnt enough to bring tears to my eyes, the surreal events that brought about the inevitable end to the Republic certainly was. I cried A LOT. Part of it was me reuniting with my childhood heroes, but the other part was what i felt was an eerie relevence to today's events. I didn't want Anakin to give into the dark side. I cared about the characters who were never adequately introduced in TPM or AOTC, and openly weeped as Yoda was overpowered. Star Wars has never actually made me cry.

When I later watched the Original Original Star Wars (which i never loved as much as ESB) i felt that it was twice as powerful. Owen and Beru's parts had new meaning. Ben's introduction gives chills, and the destruction of the Death Star has 50 times as much meaning to me now.

*BOOM* Magic. Good CAN conquer evil.

Since Episode 3, the other movies including episodes 1 and 2, and all the music carry much additional weight for me. George Lucas did his job, and for that I am once again eternally grateful.

7. DARTHCLANDESTINE

DARTHCLANDESTINE Jedi Youngling star 3

May 17, 2005
    I think you're slipping away from the point I was making - you said :

"I always say, they are jedi's, that don't have personalities like that "

You got the wrong person :) I didn't say that.

But what I would say is that Jedi's have to keep it all in. Note Anakin's "Jedi's don't have nightmares", when he indeed has. Obi Wan insists that "dreams pass in time". He doesn't want Anakin to "betray" himself, that is being a Jedi. Being a Jedi you must know, its a hard life even if you succeed. - Qui Gon Jinn.

Jedis can be interesting/flamboyant/eccentric whatever , so citing the fact that they're jedi as some sort of excuse for their dullness doesn't work .

"Master Kenobi, you disappoint me". Again here is a where Dooku "tests" Obi Wan, trying to rile him up "surely you can do better!". Because you know what happens when you lose patience.

Im going off topic but the Jedi do have those traits, but hold it all in. So, my point is Jedi aren't really boring, but trained to keep their emotions in check. So, now we come to Yoda testing Luke. Guess what? Luke loses patience.

8. StampidHD280pro

StampidHD280pro Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    You sound like Anakin. :p

Actually I disagree. As Winston Churchhill once explained, Democracy has its flaws, but its the best we have. What we see in the PT shows the reality of Democracy and how easily our political situation can be swayed by evil power hungry individuals. Darth Sidious didn't do anything unusual for a Senator up until he started killing Jedi, but once he gained the Republic's trust, he could do whatever he wanted.

On your opinion of the Jedi, even if they were hard-headed and blinded by Sidious' schemes, they were always RIGHT. Anakin was too young, and full of fear even if he WOULD one day bring balance to the force. It's not a graceful story, but the force does not always seem graceful.

9. ztn

ztn Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 5, 2005
    no.

10. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    You got the wrong person I didn't say that.

D'ohh! [/slaps forehead]

Im going off topic but the Jedi do have those traits, but hold it all in. So, my point is Jedi aren't really boring

Did you think the jedi were great characters in the PT ? Which ones ?

g

11. Bananakin

Bananakin Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 6, 2003
    Okay, now this, I have to take issue with. I do not believe for a second that the original Star Wars was aimed at kids. Kids may have enjoyed it, certainly, but so did everyone else. They were movies that everyone could enjoy. TPM, on the other hand, catered to children at the expense of the older generation, by putting in jokes and characters that, for the most part, could only be enjoyed by children.

12. paul01

paul01 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 5, 2005
    I like the prequel trilogy and enjoy watch them again and again but I feel only ROTS captures the essence of the O.T to me,though there does not seem to be the chemistry between some the actors like there was in the O.T especially between the main characters in the O.T where you had Luke/Han/Leia & Chewie and there was a bit of banter and a wisecracks thrown in, and you cared about the characters, in the P.T espically TPM and AOTC there was no one really to root for only Yoda and Obi Wan.though in the P.T there wasnt that O.T type of banter and chemistry needed between say Obi Wan and Anakin, and Anakin & Padme though there was glimpses in ROTS which I think was needed.I thought I would care about Anakin and feel something when he turned, like you felt for Luke/Han etc in the OT. but from AOTC onwards I thought he wasnt basically a nice guy all he cared about was himself and Padme and his mother,not Obi Wan his mentor and friend or any other Jedi or anybody else, and that he deserved what he got, and Padme for some reason I honestly didnt care whether she died or not and end up wanting to see more Yoda Palpatine Obi Wan who to me where more interesting than Padme and Anakin, Prehaps it was because I saw the O.T at the cinema when I was younger and grew up with them that I cared for the O.T characters more,I dont know, Prehaps its the other way round for people watching the prequel trilogy first.
    For me there also was too many Special Effect sequences that did not further the story for example The Submarine trip lasted ages great to watch but doesnt advance the story,
    The podrace race intro and race too long.Jar Jar Binks farting around waste of time,does not advance the story.
    and the Droid Factory great to watch a bit too long, rather see more of the Clone Wars beginning, in ROTS to me there was no real sequences like this so the story kept moving, there were also characters like Maul in TPM who could been great and could have used up some of underwater scene screentime and also Dooku, to me the special effects sequences in O.T served the story and not overlong.
    I think the prequels have a good and interesting storyline in all three of them and enjoy watching them and seeing Young Obi Wan, young Palpatine, yoda and new characters like Mace Bail etc but I do miss a Han Solo type character,to me also each one has great scenes as well.

the dialouge didnt really bother me because I knew it was "Star Wars" i was watching not some 10 time Oscar nominated type film.

In the end ROTS does capture the essence of O.T which are classics, but AOTC and TPM just fail but are enjoyable to me anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.