main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Has there been an explanation yet for Kylo Ren's "Force Freeze"?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ghost, May 31, 2017.

1. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    We don't know yet, but part of me is hoping that at least some of that terror is Kylo and Snoke putting some pieces we're not yet aware of together and realizing who Rey is (whoever Rey is).

2. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I like to think that the "Force Freeze" is actually the single most disciplined technique that Luke drilled into Kylo as a student, with the intent for it being as a purely defensive move, and Kylo's mastery of it being the direct result of natural talent that Luke exploited in training him. It's not an offensive move by itself in any way; the target experiences discomfort, yes, but is quite capable of breathing and otherwise remains unharmed.

If you're Master Luke Skywalker, and you find that your nephew has a natural skill set building towards this hypothetical "Force Freeze", as well as a temperment that can benefit from slowing things down so he can calm down, and maybe a desire to make things stop changing on him for one kriffin' second in his life, you'd probably spend most of your one on one time refining this ability. So, Ben Solo, for all his troubles and sometimes clumsy nature, gets highly disciplined at Force Freeze...

...And possibly, at the same time, Luke's intentionally avoiding lightsaber education because he can tell that Ben still has some pent up aggression. Snoke gets a line to Ben that Luke doesn't know about, and helps him learn how to build a lightsaber, but more importantly, how to abuse his other natural talent; mind tricks and telepathy.

The end result is a Kylo Ren who's mastered one Jedi technique to possibly its purest form, learned how to brutally tear information from people's minds thanks to Snoke, but is overall rough and self-taught in lightsaber combat.

3. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    This is largely why i was so mad they blew up Republic City.

Like, how am I going to get my epic Exar Kun tribute scene where Kylo strolls into the Senate Chamber with everyone frozen, now?

4. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    All these talks about Kylo being a wrecking ball...
    this calls for a certain photomanip.

5. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    ...damn, now I want to see that too.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  6. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    This is the closest I can find

[​IMG]

from http://plumporange.deviantart.com/

7. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    The fact that that already exists disturbs me.

8. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Just be glad he couldn't post the X-rated version....

vncredleader likes this.
  9. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    FFG. Force and Destiny, page 286.

[​IMG]

10. Jester J Binks

Jester J Binks Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2016
    Here's my explanation of the Kylo Ren force freeze:

Highlight of the movie.

I recall that in an instant, any thoughts that Kylo might be nothing more than a force poser were immediately wiped away and very early in the film. It was just jarring enough to demand respect for the villain, but not jarring enough to take new film force abilities too far from established powers and become a joke of one upsmanship.

It was very Star Wars.

Edit: Ender explained it. SW TFA was actually a turn based movie. It wasn't that the bolt was suspended, just that it was waiting for the other players to finish their turn because, as everybody knows, a ranged attack takes two turns, not one.

Or as Mike Tyson would tell his brother, Neil deGrasse Tyson, "You're such a nerd"

11. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    I can sympathize with Ben there. Being extremely gifted and having a teacher that continually holds you back and withholds key teachings is truly frustrating. That's not the way to educate a gifted person.

12. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Sadly, that is the ONLY real thing he has in common with his grandfather. That and legions of fangirls.

13. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    It'd be interesting to see him try to use Force Freeze on a Force-user who could feasibly counter it. If it's strong enough to halt the kinetic energy of a blaster bolt in mid-shot, it certainly wouldn't be broken by any physical struggling on the part of the victim -- Poe and Rey both visibly struggle against it but are unable to move. Rey, being someone who picks up on Force techniques once they're used on her, didn't really have any defence against it, but perhaps in a rematch would be able to counter it. It could well be something a trained Force-user could negate easily, maybe why we don't see it in duels between Force-wielders. It'd cut duels pretty short if one opponent could simply freeze their enemy in place and slice 'em up -- kinda like how Jedi and Sith maintain mental shields to prevent mind reading.

BigAl6ft6, Revanfan1 and Gamiel like this.
  14. MartyAvidianus

MartyAvidianus Jedi Padawan star 3

May 14, 2017
    I don't know about Rey learning force powers once they use it on her. I mean, Kylo tried to read her mind, but he didn't move his hands and say now you will tell me where the droid is...
    How did Rey know to say: You will loosen these binds and leave the door open? No force persuasion was ever tried on her?

Therefore, I think one day it just happened thus: <Kylo Ren> I am a biotic god! I think things, and they happen,,, Hey Cool, it worked! </kylo Ren>

15. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    It's not really about moving your hands and using particular words -- Kylo showed her that the Force could be used persuasively: "I know you've seen the map... it's in there. And now you'll give it to me."

Vialco likes this.
  16. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    It seems like his powers are basically amped up versions of what we've seen before. It's already been established that you can use The Force to pull, push, or move objects around. So it stands to reason that, with enough concentration, you could maybe freeze them in-place as well. Also Vader deflected Han's blaster shots with The Force in ESB as well.

As for his mental powers, well we've seen that you can get into people's minds in various ways using The Force before. And it's implied that Vader used some kind of mind probe on Leia in ANH (though we don't get to actually see it).

So again, just an amped up version of that. Interestingly, The Grand Inquisitor in Rebels Season 1 uses a very similar technique to Kylo's mind probe, and it's implied that he was trained by Vader. So perhaps Vader could do that particular move as well.

And if Snoke turns out to be some really old and powerful Force User, well there's your potential explanation right there.

17. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    There actually were prop lightsabers built during the filming of TFA for Luke's killed Jedi students, even though they obviously never appeared onscreen.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  18. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    I feel like that'd make Luke look kind of stupid. At least teach them enough to defend themselves if necessary. It'd be easier to explain if they simply didn't have enough lightsabers for all of the students imo.

Vialco likes this.
  19. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    A blaster bolt is nothing but concentrated hot plasma fired from a tube-with sufficient concentration and power I don't see how it's too difficult.

20. iucounu

iucounu Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 28, 2014
    Sure, and judging by the trailer he's going to teach Rey to use one properly (for whatever reason). But I quite like the idea that he'd be more like ep V Yoda than ep 1. "Your weapons ... you will not need them."

21. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    Yeah but the thing is, those were both rather specific situations, and I feel like Luke would realize that. On the flip side, it'd have been a lot harder for Luke to rescue Han from Jabba the Hutt if he didn't have his lightsaber handy.

Vialco likes this.
  22. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    What if it's some kind of flow-walking?

*hides*

23. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    I for one loved Kylo's Force Freeze. I am a Force Stasis casting fool in KOTOR.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

24. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Yeah, I liked it, too. Really the only thing I liked involving Kylo, perhaps the only thing I liked in the whole movie.

Kylo is a terrible character, I don't understand any of the positive reception toward him.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  25. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

You're right, it's much more noble to buy the books to gaze at the art and stats whilst touching oneself like most of Lit not playing the game. :p

Irrespective of mechanics, it's saying that Force users can channel the force to hold people/objects in place. Pretty straight forward.