main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Has time changed your opinion of Jar-Jar Binks?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Singing Yoda, Jan 1, 2017.

1. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    What - the onion, or Jar-Jar? Personally, I'd have preferred an onion standing in for the role of Jar-Jar to what we got in TPM. Or even a potato.
    Not a pumpkin, though. I've never liked pumpkin.:p

Yes, I completely understand and accept his role as "the Fool", but as I said, it's the realisation of it that was the problem. He's not just 'foolish' and annoying to the characters in the story, he proved to be annoying to much of the audience, as well.

C-3PO was very much 'The Fool' in SW/ANH and the OT - he manages on several occaions to irritate everyone around him - but this very irritation on the part of the other characters is why Threepio is so entertaining. Han can't stand him, Leia's happy to shut him off for a bit in ESB, and Artoo bickers with him non-stop. Even Luke has to stop his prattling now and then. It's fun, and funny as well - and yet, Threepio makes it through as a bit of a hero.

Jar-Jar, however, annoyed many, many audiences, and the only in-universe annoyance tended to be delivered blandly by a couple of stuffy Jedi Knights. His role as 'The Fool' in the story (one that was, most definitely, intended) was undermined by a poorly realised, juvenile, somewhat obnoxious, and far too prevalent delivery in the film we received in 1999. Fart jokes and the sort of moronic lines you'd expect from bad 1980s sitcoms.

It also didn't help that Jar-Jar displayed a handful of mannerisms that would be latched onto as racist. The accusations of racism were overblown and exaggerated, with such inferences completely unintended and irrelevant - but someone with the knowledge of cinema that GL had should have known the sort of reaction a character like Jar-Jar (along with Watto and Nute Gunray) could provoke. The mainstream media doesn't care that you might be referencing Asiatic/Jewish/African stereotypes as a way of paying homage to 1930s Flash Gordon and Buck Rogers serials - they'll just label you as a racist for including a silly accent.

In 1977, Star Wars exploded onto screens, and its two 'fools' became a more beloved and iconic cinematic duo than Abbott & Costello, Laurel & Hardy, Rogers & Astaire combined.
    In 1999, Jar-Jar Binks shoved his way through a cinema screen and has been a point of contention ever since - between those who hated him from the start, and those who still insist that "come on, he wasn't that bad..."

He wasn't cinematic cancer, there are far more toxic ideas that get slipped through in mainstream films - take a look at some of the idiotic right-wing garbage released in the 1980s (Top Gun, Red Dawn etc).

He wasn't a particularly good idea, either. SW (and TPM, in particular) would have been better without him.

2. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    i think he worked and is one of the things we won't see again which makes his inclusion special. it's the same as yoda. it was a gamble that might not have paid off. gl liked taking chances. imo jar jar is no worse than most of the dumb movie characters we get every year.

3. DrDre

DrDre Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 6, 2015
    Never hated Jar Jar. Didn't think he was a great character, mostly because I couldn't understand half of what he was saying. He's kind of like Willy in Temple of Doom for me. A bit too much presence in the film, but otherwise oke. Like some remarked, he's good natured, and can't really help being kind of a baffoon.

4. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    I've always loved him. I also love that loving him has always made me feel rebellious ;)

DaffyTheWizard likes this.
  5. JesterHead1651

JesterHead1651 Jedi Master star 1

Apr 14, 2004
    TPM is my favorite of the prequels. It was released when I was 9 so that could be the reason why I never found Jar Jar to be a bad character as he is probably meant to be more of a childish driven character. As time went on and AOTC and ROTJ was released and I saw the film more (TPM) I can see why everyone older then me at the time complained. To this day, I don't see the character being that bad....

6. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    No, my opinion on Jar (no dash) Jar Binks hasn't changed. He's still great.

7. Nanaki

Nanaki Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 5, 2016
    The only thing that will change my opinion of Jar Jar Binks is the "Darth Jar Jar" theory being confirmed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

8. ekrolo2

ekrolo2 Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 17, 2014
    I'm the only human being who was never bothered by him much and that hasn't changed much.

Anakin.Skywalker likes this.
  9. Anakin.Skywalker

Anakin.Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2016
    I hate him....less. :p Mainly because I haven't seen the PT in a while, so I don't remember his parts very well.

Actually, I became more accepting of him, too, because of the Darth Jar-Jar Theory. Very convincing, really.

10. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    I actually like some of his appearances in TCW, mainly because his cartoony design works there, and many episodes are a bit less serious, so the broad, silly humor works. However, I still DESPISE him in the saga films. By far the worst "main" character in any of them. The design is cartoony, and the character is written far too broadly, IMO. He feels to me like he's from another film entirely.

OTOH, I think Ahmed Best is an awesome dude.

11. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015

When comparing comic relief characters in SW, Jar Jar is the only one who was weaved into the narrative.

12. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    Yes, the TPM script indeed makes less sense without Jar Jar, I have vaguely noticed that.

But Threepio in ESB? Missing the exchanges on the Millenium Falcon would effect the film immensely.

13. MidKnighT

MidKnighT Force Ghost star 4

May 23, 2005
    Jake Lloyd's acting made TPM worse for me than Jar Jar did.

I don't blame the kid though, I blame Lucas and the casting department.

14. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    The puns from Threepio in the Geonosis battle are worse. They come out of nowhere.

But R2 and 3PO in the Tattooine desert early in ANH is both funny and world-building. Essential really.

Jar Jar, I find some of his moments quite funny. His introduction to Padme on route to Tattooine, fighting the droid in Watto's shop, zapping his tongue and almost having the engine start before he can pull free (Padme doesn't look amused), his obliviousness to pissing off Sebulba, Qui-Gon catching his tongue. I'm in the minority though I think...

HolyKenobi93 and Sarge like this.
  15. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    The only thing that has slightly changed my opinion of Jar Jar is the Darth Jar Jar theory.

For anyone who hasn't seen it.

I still "ugh" pretty much whenever I re-watch the PT and he speaks, but I do find it with less annoyance more and more. Not that I'll ever be Jar Jar's #1 fan, but I have let my hatred go...

Thom Skywalker likes this.
  16. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    Has time changed my opinion of Jar Jar? No. I never had a problem with him. I thought he was kind of funny. I liked him okay, but there were a lot of other characters I liked better. I still don't have a problem with him. I still think he's kind of funny. I still like him okay, but there are still a lot of other characters I like better.

17. Zer0

Zer0 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    No, I personally always thought it was alright. He's definitely not the franchise destroying character many think him to be.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  18. Rock-N-Roll Jedi

Rock-N-Roll Jedi Jedi Knight

Feb 29, 2016
    No, my opinion of him hasn't changed. Didn't like him then, don't like him now.

19. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    Jar Jar in Episode I>>>>>>>>C-3PO in Episode V

Can't stand 3PO in that film.

Also Episode I is too warm and adventurous of a movie to hate cause of Jar Jar.

Jar-Jar Binks likes this.
  20. Jar-Jar Binks

Jar-Jar Binks SWC Late Show With JJB Host star 8 VIP - Game Host

Nov 17, 2016
    I also think of Binks as a kind of comedic stand in for 3PO. He's fun, an interesting species, helps move the story alone and is a war hero at the end of the film.

21. DaffyTheWizard

DaffyTheWizard Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 4, 2017
    This is pretty much me too. I was also 9 when TPM came out and that is also my favorite of the prequels too. I always thought Jar Jar was funny. I think my only problem was that every once in a while I couldn't understand what he was saying but overall I like him.

Darkslayer likes this.
  22. Pain and Suffering

Pain and Suffering Jedi Master star 3

Mar 8, 2015
    My opinion of Jar Jar has changed in that I used to be just neutral about him, and now I like him. And gungans are now some of my favorite aliens in SW.

DaffyTheWizard and Darkslayer like this.
  23. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Yes, I used to find him annoying (never hated him though), but now I love him.

24. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Always loved him so I guess no.

25. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    Not really. I thought he was as dumb when I was 6, as I do now.