main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Has your opinion on TFA changed almost a year later?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Kuestmaster, Oct 10, 2016.

?

Has your opinion changed on TFA since the day of release?

1. I like it more

23 vote(s)
    19.0%
  2. I like it less

29 vote(s)
    24.0%
  3. My opinion hasn't changed

69 vote(s)
    57.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kuestmaster

Kuestmaster Jedi Master star 2

Nov 17, 2012
    Now that a year has passed since the release of the highly anticipated sequel, has your opinion changed?

Honestly, I like it even more.

I think Rey is up there as the best introduction of a protagonist in the entire saga. Han was the best Han we could expect and his demise was devastating, but in a good way. I could go on and on about the positives I find in the movie every time I watch it. It was a very hard job the relaunch the saga but JJ and Kasdan nailed it.

I agree that it has some rehash OT points, but I don't think it lessens the movie at all.

2. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    Those are a loaded set of options. I'm not sure if the thread itself is redundant or not, but the only necessary, neutral options are "I like it more", "i like it less" or "my opinion hasn't changed"

3. Kuestmaster

Kuestmaster Jedi Master star 2

Nov 17, 2012
    you're right, I forgot the "my opinion hasn't changed" one, if the mods could add it to the poll I'd be very grateful.

4. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    it holds up after many viewings.

5. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    I decided to jump on the I hate it bandwagon that also occurred after just like after TPM. People with too much free time. Like me. Oh wait, no I didn't.

6. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I added that, but I also removed the other option that wasn't necessary anymore... basically the approach that CEB proposed. By the way, the removed or changed options had not received any votes yet anyway.

Kuestmaster likes this.
  7. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    My opinion hasn't changed. Loved it then, love it now.

DARTH MUPPET, TX-20 and JediLight like this.
  8. bellatroll

bellatroll Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 21, 2013
    I like it less, mostly for not taking any chances.

I feel that the Force Awakens has basically very little re-watch value, not because it's a bad film, but because it's a story I've watched a thousand times before in the form of a film called "the New Hope".

I feel now that having the "next Luke" character in Rey was much too derivative. My changes: Ray should have been a lone padawan who has lost her previous master and is now in search of another Jedi Master to complete her training. Her search is not fruitful and she ends up in Jakku basically in debt peonage. Thus she would have a motivation for finding Luke and a prior Jedi background; both of which would go a long way explaining her role in the film. Perhaps she would be disillusioned with her jedi experience and initially unwilling to seek out Luke, if you want to include the "reluctant" hero element.

I feel that having the "NEWER YUGER" death star also displayed a breathtaking lack of creativity. I feel that RLM's ideas on improving the super weapon plot are correct: the Starkiller base should have been a republic weapon built as a deterrence against the First Order, but with the First Order seizing control of this super weapon and using it to destroy republic worlds instead. It would have made the First Order feel less like "just the Empire again", and more like a clever, resurgent organization that makes good use of available opportunities.

9. theMaestro

theMaestro Jedi Master star 3

Oct 16, 2015
    I feel like some more options in the poll might be useful just so that we can get a better idea of not only if opinions have changed, but also how they changed:
    1.) I liked it then, and I like it more now
    2.) I liked it then, but I like it less now
    3.) I liked it then, and my opinion hasn't changed
    4.) I didn't like it then, but I like it more now
    5.) I didn't like it then, and I like it even less now
    6.) I didn't like it then, and my opinion hasn't changed

Just a thought.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  10. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I like it less. Once my own personal nostalgia factor wore off the whole thing just strikes me as empty and uninspired at best.

11. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    My opinion hasn't changed after several viewings – I still love it!

12. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    I like it less than I did opening night. It's the only Star Wars movie that I watch the opening crawl, two scenes in the middle, and then skip to the end.

13. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014

Disagree - I think as a set of options they're quite convoluted and it'd be hard to interpret anything from them; its better for the discussion to allow for nuance rather than the poll.
    Personally, I find it hard to answer the question anyway, because after living with a film for a while there are a few ways of thinking about it (whether you like it or not)
    1: do I get the same feeling now watching it as I did first time? (whether rage or delight or anything in between)
    2: does the fact that a (say) 11th viewing doesn't grip me as much as a first viewing mean I like it less? Or just that I know it more?
    3: does the fact that I may have hated it in the cinema but have come to terms with it as part of an ongoing saga mean I like it more? Or just that I like Star Wars as a whole enough to live with it?
    4: if you went into the first viewing (or came out of it) knowing that you'd never again feel as strongly as that first showing, but still decide to watch it multiple times, does that mean you like it less? Or that you prefer watching something until you've extracted every bit of pleasure from it from a finite source?

Sorry to go a bit analytical, just that the thread started me thinking about how feelings about films evolve

EHT, theMaestro and Satipo like this.
  14. theMaestro

theMaestro Jedi Master star 3

Oct 16, 2015
    Yeah fair points. I guess if we really wanted to get in depth with it, there would need to be an overwhelming number of options to account for all the various permutations of people's change in opinions, which would be....overwhelming lol. The discussion itself would probably be better for sharing individuals' specific opinions & how they've changed.

EHT, Force Smuggler and CEB like this.
  15. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Nope and honestly the only thing that could change my mind about this movie will be with the release of episode VIII and IX which may or may not change my mind in the positive or the negative.

16. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    Really enjoyed it when I first watched it, then I liked it less and less every time I rewatched it. Now I’m going to wait for VIII before I watch it again because I don’t want to hate the movie. :p

guittarjedi and Darth_Pevra like this.
  17. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Still love it a lot but not as much as I did.

18. Harbour

Harbour Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 15, 2015
    Didn't change me opinion - its the worst SW movie in the series. No matter how much better it was shot than AotC or TPM, it offers almost nothing good to the SW setting. No matter how significant it rejuvenate SW franchise (i.e. got the cash, sold toys better then before) , it pushed the SW universe into an oblivion (degrade all world building components and story). As a fan of the Galaxy Far Far Away itself I was deeply disappointed, and nothing have changed since then. Just IMO ofc.

19. TheOneX_Eleazar

TheOneX_Eleazar Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 24, 2013
    My opinion hasn't changed, my feelings towards this movie is still highly conflicted.

20. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    My feelings are basically the same. What I like, I like, and what I don't, I'm waiting to see if later episodes improve my view of. Depending on where the story goes, several things in TFA may take on a whole new dynamic.

JediLight and Force Smuggler like this.
  21. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    My opinion hasn't changed because it was stolen. Help me get it back.

{Quantum/MIDI} likes this.
  22. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    I'm kind of the opposite of that - I'm a firm believer in the "mystery is good" thing, and I think JJ Abrams gets dismissed as a creator of mysteries (but not a solver) so much that it's easy to forget that intrigue can in itself be fun and interesting - especially to those of us who will spend literally years speculating.
    I have no doubt that eventual reveals around Rey, Snoke, Luke, the First Order will be underwhelming to some extent, and think it most likely that mysteries will be resolved without fuss in IX with focus on action and emotional pay off; to me, this bit is exciting and fun and I'm relishing that, while knowing that no reveal, (especially one us on here are likely to get as a set report rather than as a dramatic moment) will satisfy, it's still great fun to explore novels, comics, tv shows and games and live in the world a bit and theorise.

23. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    In December I was just glad that Star Wars was back on the big screen, some of the OT characters were back, Rey and Finn were great leads, there was enough of the witty banter that I love so much. It was exciting.

But it's not as rewatchable as the other movies and the "Star Wars is back" element has worn off.

So...definitely like it less, but I don't dislike it.

24. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    You like it better than the one where Padme dies because she doesn't like kids or something, right?

25. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Oh yeah. Still like it better than that one.

CloneTrooper9000 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.