main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Has your opinion on TFA changed almost a year later?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Kuestmaster, Oct 10, 2016.

?

Has your opinion changed on TFA since the day of release?

1. I like it more

23 vote(s)
    19.0%
  2. I like it less

29 vote(s)
    24.0%
  3. My opinion hasn't changed

69 vote(s)
    57.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Iamnoone

Iamnoone Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 23, 2015
    I gave it 7.5/10 and would still give it the same now.

The pros and cons are still the same a year later. And as I said at the time, TFA's worth may go up or down when 8 & 9 are released - let's wait and see.

I recently watched AOTC again to see what I think is the reason I personally prefer TFA to the prequels and its simply that I cannot get over the cartoony look of AOTC compared to the real tangible feel of TFA regardless of the fact that AOTC was more original.

3 things I had problems with are still there. I feel the sound effects are average (just compare to Rogue ones blaster bolts for example), it's not original enough and bar Reys Theme, a fairly weak soundtrack.

2. PodracingSkywalker

PodracingSkywalker Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 1, 2014
    If anything, I dislike it more now

3. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    If anything, I like it more now. [face_love]

seventhbeacon and Ricardo Funes like this.
  4. JediDrunk

JediDrunk Jedi Knight

Dec 18, 2015
    I loved it when I first saw it but like it a lot less with each re-watch. There are just too many moments where the movie nearly becomes a parody of itself(or A New Hope). The movie still starts off very strong though but goes downhill quickly once the Rathtars show up on screen.

5. seventhbeacon

seventhbeacon Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 3, 2015
    If everything, I like it best.

It's still a vast improvement on the PT.

Naturally, my tastes change over time and are subject to shifting, but TFA still has a brilliant main cast with great chemistry and performance.

6. Darth Pig

Darth Pig Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 21, 2016
    My mind has not changed. Getting to see the PT, OT and the TFA over a weekend, if anything it made TFA even worse. It just felt out of place with respect to story telling. From the dissolves to change scenes, to the complete void in the use of music to portray the emotion of the scenes, it just doesn't stack up. In the end, my son and I just pee-ed ourselves laughing at the terrible mistakes made by JJ and the utterly moronic out of place moments littered throughout the movie for me.

Note: This is just my opinion and I respect that others will vehemently disagree.

StoneRiver and TetsuAero like this.
  7. seventhbeacon

seventhbeacon Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 3, 2015

Considering the voice and flavor from ANH to ESB to ROTJ are very different in each film (different directors for each), it's odd to zero in on nitpicks like how the scene dissolves are used or where the music is placed. Especially since the PT is also tonally drastically different, not just from the OT, but even how the music is implemented in each subsequent prequel. For better or for worse, the new film felt very... JJ Abrams. Now, I think it also felt very Star Wars, but I also thought his two Star Trek films felt very Star Wars too.

8. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    TFA feeling like a certain director doesn't bother me.

Read plenty of novels and comics by people other than Lucas that have their own feel.

TFA was like an Allston Wraith Squadron novel imo.

Sarge likes this.
  9. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015

Allow me to go off-topic a little bit just to point out that Lucasfilm has a library of OT sounds dating back to the creation of Skywalker Sound. More details of the old and new sound effects can be seen in the interview below:
    http://www.dailydot.com/parsec/star-wars-force-awakens-sound-designer-david-acord-interview/

Could I ask you if you had the opportunity to watch TFA in an IMAX theather? Because I noticed a HUUGE difference between regular vs IMAX theathers in my several viewings of TFA.

Rey's Theme is something very delicate, it is different from most other Star Themes. I particularly loved it, but I accept other views as we all know that music is a matter of taste.

On youtube, Rey's Theme has more than 32000 likes and only 500 dislikes.

[​IMG]

Sorry for the off-topic. I hope it at least gave new information to base your opinions.

10. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Rey's Theme is great.

Listened to it so much, I got worn out on it for several months but listened to it recently, it was great.

MOC Vober Dand and Ricardo Funes like this.
  11. PodracingSkywalker

Apr 1, 2014
    Yeah, if there's one nice thing I have to say about TFA, it's that I love Rey's theme

12. Darthman92

Darthman92 Force Ghost star 6

Feb 24, 2016
    The score in general is probably the thing that's grow on me the most since initial viewing. I always liked Rey's theme a good deal, but I've been appreciating other tracks more as time has gone on. Rewatching the film and listening to ir on its own contributing to that.

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  13. Ord Sorrell

Ord Sorrell Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 16, 2016
    I am a huge star wars fan... Loved it since I saw the first movie back as a little kid on HBO, toys, comics, movies, shirts, homework folders, modeled a ship or two on computer 3d software, wrote up my own fiction..

but can you believe I just saw TFA two days ago on Starz for the first time....?

Of course its Star Wars so I loved it..

Anyway since a year has NOT passed, I can only predict, prophesize, prognosticate, portend, and presume to know how I'll feel in a year from now, BUT, I suspect I will probably grow to enjoy it more and appreciate it more, the way I did TPM

14. TetsuAero

TetsuAero Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 24, 2008
    I'm one of those who like it less now, mostly because i've analyzed the reasons why i just felt it was an okay movie at its release.

I still like several characters and plotpoints in the movie, like Rey and her family issues. BB-8 was great, as was the thumbs up. It was nice seeing Han, Leia & the gang again. I really liked the instant bread scene. The dialogue was a lot more articulated than in any of the other movies so that is still a good point. Nothing was relatively good besides that in my opinion.

15. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    For you to mention how the instant bread scene was a highlight, that goes to show how inferior a SW film this is, including the PT.

16. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    Well, it's not like everyone names it as the best scene in the film. It's neat, I'll say that.

That said, our introduction to Rey, from her first shot to when she hears BB-8, is damn near perfect for me. So many little moments that tell us about her and her life. The bread is one moment in that larger sequence.

17. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    The bread was pointless other than to say "hey look! I'm space bread" but yes I agree that Rey's introduction was darn near perfect.

Careful room, when me and Artoo-Dion agree on something the world could be ending.

MOC Vober Dand and Artoo-Dion like this.
  18. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    I think it's also a nice moment to show how simple her life is, depicting her daily routine. Plus it's just a nicely composed shot.

19. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    I did like the notches on the wall. Rey is quite the gentleman's Lady! No no its just a terrible joke! Sorry! Couldn't resist!

It's shows that Jakku is Rey's prison.

MOC Vober Dand and Artoo-Dion like this.
  20. FloridaFilmGuy

FloridaFilmGuy Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 1, 2000
    It's a rehash, it played it too safe, and it took a massive dump on all the victories (political and personal) of the main characters in the OT, and yet I still like it more than half of the other films in the saga.

21. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    The bread is another small element demonstrating the fact that Rey gets by on enjoying very small pleasures in her otherwise barren, lonely existence.

Regarding the score... Like a lot of the best music, it's not as instantly accessible as some others, but over time grows on you and is extremely fulfilling.

22. PodracingSkywalker

Apr 1, 2014
    The only part I really hated in the score was Kylo's theme. It left absolutely no impression on me whatsoever, and for a John Williams score, that is essentially blasphemy. But I will respect the album for not being plagued by micro-edits, IE the PT soundtrack albums.

23. Halle Dray

Halle Dray Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    I really enjoyed it when I first saw it an I think I didn't want to admit that anything was wrong with it in the beginning. However, now that I've learned more, I've changed that opinion a bit. I still really like it but I think it couldn't have gone a bit farther then it did. It played it really safe and I am a bit upset by that. I think Kylo Ren has kinda been ruined. I really like him and I have hopes that he'll be made cooler but they really made him too much like Anakin. He should be more like an upgraded Anakin who's weaknesses haven't been revealed in the first movie. Rey and Finn were great and so was Poe. I personally felt BB-8 wasn't completely as cool as R2 but he was adorable and gave more of the comedic relief then Han and Chewie did. I feel like they made Chewie really boring and that makes me sad.. Han was pretty good but they made him almost too sad.
    Overall, I think I like it a bit less then I did last year but I am certainly looking forward to EP. 8.

24. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015

No. Empire wasn't like that, nor Return of the Jedi due to the story being more of "self" rather than "outward". The big threat is star killer in TFA. Similar to every world destroying threat in super hero movies etc. Thats what I meant.

TPM, AOTC nor ROTS had this feature of a world destroying threat that will rid the galaxy also.

It's a modern plot device that is commonly used in movies today.

25. WhyKnock

WhyKnock Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 8, 2016
    The real purpose of the Starkiller weapon was to kill Luke Skywalker AKA "The Last Jedi" as they took care to mention in the crawl. Then in the very first spoken lines of dialogue set up the real threat that has been going on since TPM "Without The Jedi, the Force cannot be in balance."

In the story they make it clear that priority one is to prevent the map to Skywalker from getting to the Resistance. Retrieve it is idea, but destroy it if it prevents them from finding Luke.

The Starkiller was a one time use weapon as was the first Death Star, Snoke wanted his one good shot with it to destroy the planet Luke was on for it would be the only way to kill a Jedi Master.

Approach Ahch-To on a ship with the intent to kill Luke, he will sense it and fly away.

The real threat was that if Luke was killed, the Jedi would truly be gone and Snoke would rule the galaxy with no opposition for eternity.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.