main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Has your opinion on the Star Wars Saga changed throughout the years?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by EternalStutter, Feb 2, 2015.

1. EternalStutter

EternalStutter Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 5, 2015
    Do you hate any of the original films? Have you shown your children Star Wars, only to find yourself loving the prequels now?

What's your opinion on the saga at this point in time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    My opinion is that much of the fervour is gone for me. I still can't really see Star Wars as a cohesive Saga because the trilogies are so vastly different. In major aspects I prefer the EU post the films to the films themselves. I think I shall always prefer the OT over the PT and it's because it's more feasible and easier to grasp for me. The PT simply feels like an over-busy incomprehensible mess to me. I have many fond childhood memories of books, characters, ships, and creatures.

AndyLGR and EternalStutter like this.
  3. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Love the OT as much as ever. Love ESB a lot more than I did when younger.
    PT is mixed bag.
    Love the EU as much as did when I was younger. Some stories are on the level of the films or surpass them in some cases.
    Certain series' in the EU aren't as good though. I've flip-flopped on DNT a lot. And LOTF is a mess.
    NJO is still awesome. Just as good if not better than the movies.

xezene, EternalStutter and Iron_lord like this.
  4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    The PT: I liked TPM and AOTC a lot more when they came out, preferred them to all the OT movies except ROTJ. I still don't mind them but I prefer the OT now. I hated ROTS when it came out and I hate it more now. I think I had a lot more tolerance for symbolism/romanticism/srs bsns in films a decade ago and now, with getting older/life events/whatever, just give me a movie with fun characters who don't act like idiots. Don't ask me to muse on deep life themes while I'm watching because I don't want to or have time to muse on deep life themes anyway, and if I did, I wouldn't watch a movie while I was doing it.

The OT: Love Han Solo, have loved Han Solo for over 30 years, no changes there. I've gotten less tolerant of Luke. Leia is still a goddess and inspiring role model.

Not much has changed, except maybe a better appreciation for the cliffhangers in ESB. I used to hate cliffhangers.

The EU: I hated the whole shebang at one time but now it's a mixed bag. I used to be a purist, now I think canon wars are stupid. Luke didn't marry Mara Jade not because she wasn't in the movies, but because I don't like her, and in anakinfan canon that's all that matters.

I got into some of the comics late in the game after blowing them off for years, because comics, and now I really appreciate many of them.

5. Ingram_I

Ingram_I Force Ghost star 5

Sep 7, 2012
    My opinion of the six-part saga has changed only as each new installment was released or, ahem, "specialized". And mostly for the better. Never got into the EU stuff. Never saw the point. I've entertained various comics and games here and there, mostly out of passing curiosity or for the artwork. Overall, though, it's just not my thing—I'm in it for the cinema.

CoolyFett and Cryogenic like this.
  6. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    I still hold the films themselves in the same high regard I always did, but I don't have the same interest in re-watching them regularly as much as I did about a decade ago. I'm now far more interested in how they came to be, and even more so in the different ways the Saga might have turned out.

7. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Oh, it has changed. Quite a lot, but still not all that much in the end. You might say that I've come full circle.
    I never became as attached to the "original" experience as so many others did, so alterations was never a huge deal for me. In fact, for many years, I wished that they'd update the old movies to the point where the two trilogies would match up perfectly.
    Lately, though, I've taken to appreciating what the movies are instead of lamenting what they're not. This has allowed me to rediscover my initial love for Star Wars. The movies could've been a billion different things, but I'm a fan because they ended up being what they were and as far as I'm concerned, the alterations haven't diminished that in the least. They've just spiced up the saga experience by adding a bit more connective tissue.

I feel truly liberated by this approach. By just taking it in as it is, I'm enjoying the heck out of Star Wars canon and I can't wait for more!

8. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Star Wars was the best thing ever when I was a kid and young adult. Now I like it mostly because of nostalgia and habit. There are moments in all of the films that can still get to me, but mostly it is impossible for me to get involved in the stories and be wowed by the spectacle like I once was.

And for something more specific, Han was the coolest character ever when I was a kid, but nowadays I can barely stand him.

CoolyFett likes this.
  9. Drun Pulsar

Drun Pulsar Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 9, 2015
    My thoughts exactly.

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

Lulu Mars and CoolyFett like this.
  10. Drun Pulsar

Drun Pulsar Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 9, 2015
    When I was younger it was a passing fad. Now I'm in a stint where I can't get enough. SOOOO much material. Languages, card games, philosophy, history. I can't believe I ever turned my nose up at the books their awesome.

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

CoolyFett likes this.
  11. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    I used to view the films much differently than I do now. I used to think they were just entertaining popcorn flicks without a lot of deeper meaning, that the Jedi were unambiguous good guys, that most of the so-called symbolism people prattled on about was just people seeing shapes in clouds and nothing more. But I've come around a lot over the past couple years and now I more-or-less completely agree with a lot of people who I used to openly insult for "reading too much into things." I guess the weight of the evidence in threads like the Visual Links one and others pretty much forced me to change my mind.

Maybe I've just become as crazy as they are, but now Star Wars--and other movies and books and stories in general--are a lot more rewarding for me. So I consider it a good thing.

12. SatineNaberrie

SatineNaberrie Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    I don't like TPM as much as I use to. The Ewoks bother me more than when I was little. The Anakin/Padme romance bothers me more than it did when I first saw AOTC. I use to think ANH was the worst of the OT when I was very young because I thought it was boring. Now I like it better. I feel RTOJ is weaker because of the Second Death Star and Tattotine scenes, plus the Ewoks. Anyone feel like Lucas may have run out of ideas for ROTJ and repackaged some of ANH into ROTJ? I use to hate the Vader as Luke's father plot twist and now I like it a lot.

I still like ESB the most, that hasn't changed much. I liked it as a kid and I like I now.

CoolyFett likes this.
  13. grd4

grd4 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2013
    My appraisals haven't changed--I love two films from each trilogy--but I've long since relinquished the discontent and outright animus aimed at AOTC and ROTJ, respectively. (I'm embarrassed to recall my notorious '05-'08 posts, infused with a passion best reserved for politics).

Were I to have children, I'd be delighted to show them the six films. It may actually encourage new perspectives.

All things being said, the Saga is what it is. Hopefully, the Sequels turn out well, so I can approach them as I do The Godfather Part III (i.e., a curio of an addendum).

On edit: Strangely enough, I would prefer more than anything to see the wider culture's opinion of George Lucas and the Prequels to shift. That is to say: less reactionary, and more thoughtful.

CoolyFett likes this.
  14. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    Notorious? You've always been a very conscientious fan -- in my eyes, at least.

And you're also honest about your former posts and attitudes, unlike some with massive posts counts here.

Always enjoyed whatever you've had to say. :)

I'd like to see people becoming less reactionary and more thoughtful on the Internet, and in life, generally.

Sadly, I don't see that changing for the foreseeable future, but I live in hope.

A faint hope.

CoolyFett likes this.
  15. grd4

grd4 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2013
    Cryogenic: That's awfully generous of you, but if my memory is accurate, there were at least a handful of posts that registered a "9" on the Derange-o Meter. Even in hindsight, I can't discern whether it was honest criticism, or if I was working through Daddy issues and/or outrage towards the Iraq invasion/occupation. I just hate to think that my tirades turned some impressionable, lurking kid off of ROTJ.

(I had the displeasure to experience this genre-based hostility once as an adult, watching Man of Steel. Truly the worst movie I've seen in a theater.)

CoolyFett likes this.
  16. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    I doubt your posts ever did such a thing.

You were simply articulating your honest feelings -- feelings that were very well-expressed, I have to say.

And given what some people have projected onto these movies (and responded to others when called on those projections), I think you have always conducted yourself with grace and equanimity.

Ah, I understand!

But I'm going to have to disagree with you on that one. I have a good deal of affection for "Man Of Steel".

True, it's very po-faced, and it is extremely action-heavy, with a rather disturbing kill-count, but I still like the basic sci-fi action approach of the film. I find it satisfying that the Superman mythos was finally given a movie in this vein. Six films and they finally made one.

Plus, I think it has a rather absorbing, "organic" look to a lot of its visuals, a sort of baked-in roughness that marries well with its themes of alienation, uncertainty, and environmental devastation, and a pretty decent soundtrack to match.

Some pretty nice scenes between Clark and his female guardians, too. And they very much are guardians in this version. I love that. There is a certain intelligence and beauty that underpins the movie; but I won't deny it has a very loud and sometimes unpalatable surface.

The other reason I feel like shilling for it is perhaps a personal aesthetic belief that the only Superman movies that mean anything are those that seriously depict Krypton's dissolution. Superman is something of a Greek tragedy, in my eyes, and the myth only has proper gravitas when the destruction of the guy's home planet is actually dealt with. That leaves me finding the greatest favour with "Superman: The Movie" and "Man Of Steel". Until the latter appeared, I didn't think the character had really come of age on the big screen -- not since Donner's magnificent original. Thirty-five years and they finally found a fresh approach; with some pretty killer art direction (Krypton) to match.

Did I also mention how much I like MOS' dream-like narrative? Those strange flares, the rather implausible manner of Jonathan's death, the nightmare scene aboard the Kryptonian ship, the rainy flashback when the bullies appear, and the sepia-toned larking about with a makeshift cape in the garden. I find that the movie has an interesting architecture and offers a peculiar beauty. It's never being entirely straight with you. The aforementioned interludes are much more resonant (to me) than the didactic flashback scenes in Nolan's "Batman Begins". I like the Malickian feel. That and the downbeat depiction of Pa Kent. I feel Snyder really delivered something quietly magnificent here; even though he did pack the second half of the film with wall-to-wall explosions and fisticuffs.

My all-time favourite comic book adaptation is Steve Barron's "Blade Runner"-inflected "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles", though. A propellant, fun, and charming urban dust-up with an effortless (and rather opaque) artsy feel (just look at the cinematography!) that will probably (in my eyes) never be surpassed.

Excuse my digression.

CoolyFett likes this.
  17. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Yes. When I've had my fill for the moment, I walk away. I can get very cranky about things I love.

But I always come back.

There will be things I will always love and enjoy about Star Wars. And there will be things I do not. Same for any fandom I enjoy.

18. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    People will respect GL after he passes away.

I love the story of the 6 movies, I dont like many of the Star Wars fans.
    i view the animated shows as different from the 6 films.
    I wont support the Disney movies, but hope the new generation of Star Wars fan LOVE THEM.
    Episodes 1 - 6 are the foundations of Star Wars. A Timeline that covers 36 years of the GFFA.
    episodes 3 & 5 are the gems of the Saga
    never got into any of the EU, never knew where to start
    Star Wars Battlefront 2 is a great video game
    i wished I owned a few Star Wars action figures to play with at my desk at work.
    I dont like many of the Star Wars fans.
    thats my opinion of the Star Wars franchise/brand

EternalStutter likes this.
  19. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    A bit. I did get tired of the OT and began to prefer the PT more. I guess just because it was finally new SW movies. But now both trilogies are back on the same level to me. Love them both equally.

20. Jhhh

Jhhh Jedi Youngling

Jan 26, 2016
    Definitely grown more fond of esb, used to like return of the Jedi the most but now esb my fave of the ot

21. JediChipKelly

JediChipKelly Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 3, 2016
    I was always a huge OT fans growing up, but I honestly start to sour on the PT when it started to become clear that the overall Saga 1-6 was The Tragedy of Darth Vader. I can't explain it but it just never sat well with me that the SW Saga was essentially about him (one reasons was because he killed all of the younglings). But TFA has turned me back into a fan of the PT and now the Saga 1-9. The Saga is balanced again between 3 characters (Anakin/Luke/Rey) and 3 Trilogies.

22. zisme

zisme Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 19, 2016
    Have always LOVED the OT and still do. If you had asked me as a kid which film was my favorite, I would probably have answered ROTJ. Today it is ESB. I also enjoy/appreciate and watch ANH more than i did when i was younger. is it all a big nostalgia trip for me? probably, but that's what's great about it.

PT - my feelings have softened a bit. I don't know if i like them any more than i did when they came out, but i can better accept them for what they are and what they have to offer. i don't see lucas as a villain who damaged my childhood or anything.

TFA, Disney, and beyond - TFA definitely pulled me back in to the universe in a strong way after a pretty significant lull (it's why I'm here). More excited than apprehensive (though there is a bit of that) about future developments with the franchise/saga.

No kids yet, but looking forward to the day i introduce them to SW

JediChipKelly likes this.
  23. Keycube

Keycube Jedi Master star 2

Jan 19, 2009
    I've become much more tolerant of the prequels, if for nothing else just as "whiz-bang" entertainment (save for "Padme's Ruminations"; pretty powerful stuff). Likewise, I've allowed myself to see ROTJ as the phoned-in "last hurrah" that it is (totally IMHO); for years, I've convinced myself to hold it in (reasonably) high esteem solely because it was OT.

24. Viper78

Viper78 Jedi Master star 1

Jan 11, 2016
    I grew up with and love the OT. I would say that I enjoyed the PT but there were aspects of it which I was't keen on, although I would say that I appreciate the story more now than at the time films were released. I actually prefer the story of Obi wan more than that of Anakin.

25. lardandlard

lardandlard Jedi Youngling

Oct 19, 2015
    As and adult, I separate the OT movies much more. I don't think I ever did that before, I just saw them as a whole. Now I see them as a whole, but also as three very different movies. I might add to that, that I find ANH and ESB to be better than ever, and RotJ has gotten slightly less interesting, but still a watchable flick with the Star Wars feel to it.

I didn't mind the PT when it came out. I thought it was OK, but not on par with the OT. Now I think it is a pile of garbage. (And I have TRIED to like it!)