main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Has your preference changed?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by daveeek, Jul 15, 2011.

1. obi-arin-kenobi

obi-arin-kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    I really think that A New Hope is the best of the bunch. So much happened in that film from a creative standpoint I actually think it can objectively be considered the best film ever made. Sometimes I think The Wizard of Oz gives it a run, though.

2. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    ROTS blew my mind. It my eternal favorite star wars film.

ROTS
    ESB
    ANH
    ROTJ
    TPM
    AOTC

3. darth-amedda

darth-amedda Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2003
    My list also constantly changes.
    Currently it would be sth like this:
    1) ESB/AOTC
    2) ROTS
    3) ROTJ
    4) ANH
    5) TPM

4. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    ANH
    TESB
    ROTJ
    TPM
    AOTC
    ROTS

5. mrc681

mrc681 Jedi Youngling

Aug 1, 2011
    It's great to read so many different rankings. I try and see how people can rank them the way they do and I'm like, yeah I can see that. When I was little, Return of the Jedi was by far my favorite, Empire was too dark and I'd get lost with too much story and not enough action going on in A New Hope. As I've grown up, what I'm going through at the time dictates which one I "like" (lack of a better word) more than the others. I love the saga as a whole though now and couldn't rank them as they all mean something different to me. Any time I'm sick or need to escape from my stresses, I put in the original trilogy and then follow it up with the prequels.

I'm sure there's a thread for it, so I'll have to go find it, but just quickly, how are y'all going to show your children the saga? The order you saw it in, the order they were released or I-VI? If there is a thread already, can you just send me the link so I can check it out?

6. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    http://boards.theforce.net/star_wars_saga/b10456/31642079/p1/?128
    and
    http://boards.theforce.net/classic_trilogy/b10002/31760868/p1/?34

7. mrc681

mrc681 Jedi Youngling

Aug 1, 2011
    Thank you!

8. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    My preference constantly changes because the films themselves are each unique in their own different ways, each having different tones, vibes and themes. For instance TPM is biblical, AOTC political, ROTS apocalyptic, TESB dark, etc. Likewise I think the Blu-Ray release will influence my preference especially in regards to TPM. This is because each film, as currently seen, is noticeably from the year in which it was made, thus giving each a unique visual style... the Blu-Ray release will change this slightly because the image quality will be significantly updated for all films - this will especially effect TPM if the graininess is removed, the color plate is updated (I think that is rumored) and Yoda is made digital. As it stands however this is how I order them (despite the fact I appreciate them all as a single story):

1. TESB
    2. ROTS
    3. TPM
    4. ROTJ
    5. ANH
    6. AOTC

9. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    ANH
    TESB
    ROTJ
    TPM
    ROTS
    AOTC

10. bluesaber70

bluesaber70 Jedi Knight star 2

May 25, 2007
    Nope.

1.ANH

2.TPM

3.ESB

4.ROTS

5.ROTJ

6.AOTC

11. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    Why is The Phantom Menace better than Empire & Sith?

12. bluesaber70

bluesaber70 Jedi Knight star 2

May 25, 2007
    Because it's my opinion. You have yours & I have mine. Not to mention TPM is the best plot of all the SW movies.

13. grimlockbedi

grimlockbedi Jedi Master star 2

Sep 16, 2006
    After the PT ended I was:
    1) ESB
    2) ANH
    3) ROTJ
    4) ROTS
    5) AOTC
    6) TPM
    for several years.

For the past two years or so I am now:
    1) ANH
    2) ESB
    3) ROTJ
    4) TPM
    5) ROTS
    6) AOTC

14. obi-arin-kenobi

Jun 10, 2005
    I'm not going to list any order right now, but I hear you on ROTS. The tone of that film is just SPOT ON. I can't for the love of all mankind understand some of the complaints--namely where Anakin and Padme are talking on the balcony. I think a lot of the PT haters fail to see the areas where they are unique/more advanced/original intentions of what star wars is/was. But lord, when obi wan has his hands at his belt in padmes ship facing anakin! forget it!!!!!!!!!!

15. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I really don't bother ranking them anymore.

RotJ is and will remain my favorite. I like resolutions/redemption tales.

ANH introduced me to the coolest scifi ship ever: the X-wing. And my intro to Sir Peter Cushing.

AotC gave me Dooku and my intro to Sir Christopher Lee--about the sole plus of the film for me.

RotS finally told me why Obi-Wan was so broken in ANH so I respect that and Ewan did well with that aspect.

TPM gave me Liam Neeson as a green lightsaber-wielding Jedi--were that he was written better! Ugh, I feel *so* bad for Liam and his fans! Also gave me the lightstaff, that's *so* cool! So uncool that it was Qui-Gon's murderer that had it.

Really don't like ESB--The highlight for me was the droids.

16. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    Mine has been pretty consistent for the past year or so:

1. ROTS
    2. AOTC
    3. TPM
    4. ESB
    5. ROTJ
    6. ANH

But, like many others, I love them all. As has been said, it's like picking your favorite chapters out of a book -- there are sections you might prefer over others, but overall, your love for the story as a whole is greatest.

17. TwoSeven

TwoSeven Jedi Padawan

Aug 6, 2011
    This is how it went for me, years ago:
    1. ESB
    2. ROTJ
    3. ANH
    4. ROTS
    5. TPM
    6. AOTC

Now:
    1. ANH
    2. ROTJ
    3. ESB
    4. TPM
    5. ROTS
    6. AOTC

Something about the first episodes of each trilogy has something special to them.

18. TH_421

TH_421 Jedi Youngling

Aug 12, 2011
    Since my first exposure to the OT at their release, yes it definitely has.

Originally I would have rated them:

1. ANH
    2. RotJ
    3. TESB

That said, I always liked the trilogy, I did not feel the PT "raped my childhood" - I was excited for the return to the GFFA, and enjoyed the prequel films for what they were - Star Wars movies. It is hard to rank them, but just at the moment it's

1. RotS
    2. ANH
    3. TPM
    4. TESB
    5. AotC
    6. RotJ

Not that I dislike Jedi... but the musical number in Jabba's palace ought to have been background, not foreground, and certainly not made more prominent in the later editions. It is one thing that really does bug me. I am also in the Shaw v. Christensen camp - he should have remained Anakin's force ghost.

19. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    I swear anyone who says ROTS sucks always makes me laugh...ROTS & ESB are so good they make ANH better!!!! WOW.

20. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    I have it all planned out...When my kids are old enough...I will only let them see Ep 1 & 6 I will tell them 2,3,4 5 is for adults only and purposely hide the other four chapters.

21. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    Yea but WHY?

22. Loupgarou

Loupgarou Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 19, 2010
    Me too!

Now, my favorites go:
    1.ESB
    2.ANH
    3.ROTJ

And when it comes to prequels, it used to be
    1.ROTS
    2.AOTC
    3.TPM

And now
    1.TPM
    2.ROTS
    3.AOTC

Although my general opinion of them has lessened overall.

23. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Because he liked it more. What's so hard to understand? Nobody questioned your preference.

24. obi-arin-kenobi

Jun 10, 2005
    A New Hope is the best, the rest is up for discussion.

The prequels are VERY underrated. TPM is a great picture. It really is the standout film of the saga. I'm not saying it is the best, but it doesn't really fit in with the OT or Sith Clones. It has a great mix of models/cg/sets/locations.

25. rpeugh

rpeugh Force Ghost star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    I have to admit that TPM does seem to be the closest in feel to the OT, as other people have said. Im not sure exactly why that is. Is it because its the least tragic of the prequels and therefore has the most in common with the OT? Is it because it is the only prequel not filmed in digital? Or is it because it has the only truly likable character of the entire trilogy (Qui- Gon). Or is it a little bit of all of those things?