main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Hasbro annnounces Forces of Destiny Adventure Figures

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by PadmeLeiaJaina, Apr 13, 2017.

1. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    I thought the release was odd too. Why not release them later or say around Christmas time? Then what is with the hold up on releasing wave two? Is it possible that people have lost interest since it's been 5 months since the first dolls hit the shelves?

2. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    I really don't think we're that small of a target audience. I've seen comments from women that they just didn't like the molded clothing and didn't like the cartoon-y-ness of the figures. Other's were thrilled beyond belief and bought them for themselves, their daughters, their nieces and nephews, etc.

Hasbro just has the problem that they don't know how to dip into the female market and grow it. They did the same thing w/ the Queen Amidala dolls and they flooded the market w/o testing to see how big it might be first.

If they're using Entertainment Earth as a gauge for interest they're going to be disappointed, females don't shop there, they're more expensive. We'll pay retail but not over. We buy when we're out shopping usually or purchase online from our favorite retailers. They need to do the line like this:

These both goto general retail - ask for space in the girl's dolls section.

• Level 1: w/ little articulation and mostly molded clothes that they can sell cheap (their 12" soap bottle figures sell really well - even if collectors hate them.)
    • Level 2 - Slightly higher priced - Basic full articulation, doll body (ala Endor Leia). Then make outfits you can sell separately to go with them.
    • Level 3 - collector versions of the dolls that are sold in limited edition runs. Sell them to specific retailers as exclusives (HerUniverse should be high on their list as an exclusive rather than Gamestop) - but shopdisney.com gets all of them.

This is how Mattel makes their money (they're in a rebuilding phase, struggling after losing the Disney line, but I have faith they'll bounce back.) You build and build out a girl's doll line. You offer a core set of characters then add friends over time but keep making new versions of your tried and true characters and adding 'friends' to go with them.

• Padme: Ahsoka, Anakin, Obi-Wan, Dorme, Shmi, Qui-Gon
    • Leia: Luke, Han, Jyn, Cassian, Lando, Bail Organa, Mon Monthma
    • Rey: Finn, Rose/Paige (I'd LOVE a 2-pack of this,) Poe, Kylo, Luke, Leia, Han, General Holdo
    • Sidekicks: Yoda, Chewie, Threepio, Artoo, BB-8, Mas, K-2SO, ewoks, etc.

Sell us vehicles, sell us GFFA furniture, playsets, embrace that they are DOLLS and are for girls. Bigger playsets/vehicles can be retail exclusives, smaller ones can be sold general retail.

Don't do it all at once. Plan a few items per quarter to allow the line to grow.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
    wobbits, Scavenger Rey and cathiecat like this.
  3. TheEvilQueen

TheEvilQueen Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 22, 2018
    I've been a lurker for a while on JCF, and this topic finally got me to join!

I became a fan during the era of the Special Editions, and SW began my journey as a toy collector. I grew up playing with my dolls as fantasy characters, instead of "Barbie" or "Ken". I was always into adventure or fantasy situations. Today I have a range of action figures and dolls from 3.75 to 12 inch, and unfortunately for my wallet, my passion has become the high end 1/6th figures like Hot Toys. I've always preferred the 12 inch scale, so it was easy to fall into that rabbit hole.

I was excited for this line when it was announced and I've collected all the ones released. My partner just found the ANH Leia/R2-D2 at a Gamestop and picked it up for me. It's sounding like the best to hope for is that the rest of the figures that have gotten pushed back (Ahsoka, Kylo/Rey 2 pack, Luke and Padme) see release. I'll be so incredibly disappointed if the Kylo/Rey set never comes out as it's the one I wanted the most. I'd planned to get two of them (one to keep boxed) because I have a Rey and Kylo focused collection with the ST.

All that said, even though I wanted the FoD line from the start, I agree with you on the molded clothes and the action features - I was hoping for less molded clothes, even if it was just an higher cost range from the basics. And I think this line might have been more successful if it would've embraced its "dollness" more. As a kid, I loved my dolls for being able to change their clothes - I would've hated this new molded clothing thing that's started with the Disney Princess line, Superhero high, Monster High, etc....

I've also gotten the feeling, shopping multiple stores, that they didn't know how to deal with the line - like they couldn't figure out where to put it. I remember it started on an endcap at Target before moving them into the SW section. Walmart had them next to the Superhero High line (now they're all gone from my closest Walmart after being marked down). Two of my closest Toys R Us stores have them on a tiny endcap and one row at the very end of one aisle.

I was surprised they didn't get wave 2 out around Christmas time - really poor timing delaying it to the beginning of the year. But if they never come out.....ugh. So disappointing.

4. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Welcome @TheEvilQueen !!
    The crazy thing is that I'm pretty sure that clothing costs a lot less to make thank making tons of molds for unique toys that will only be used for one casting for one toy.

We'll have to see what they have at Toy Fair, they didn't bring anything to UK Toy Fair. Hopefully we'll see that the line is still alive.

FYI the first release dolls are 40% off at Shopdisney.com right now if you didn't manage to pick them up on mega clearance.

5. cathiecat

cathiecat Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 24, 2005
    Jyn and Sabines were at my walmart for $4

Scavenger Rey likes this.
  6. wobbits

Apr 12, 2017
    Target has marked them down but the basics only to $9 and the Leia/Wicket set to $12.

cathiecat likes this.
  7. Scavenger Rey

Scavenger Rey Jedi Youngling

Jan 6, 2018
    Haha, me too! I think there are quite a lot of us who weren't necessarily very engaged with the collecting community, but were drawn into wanting to discuss and find out more because of this line - not just here, but online in general. I've certainly come across a fair few women who saw it as a sort of "finally!" moment when these were first announced or when they picked a couple up, even if lots of us would have preferred more textile features than plastic.

That's crazy! I've been looking around for a Sabine to display in her helmet since I first got my Endor Leia and there's not a trace of her anywhere in my part of the UK. If they were at that price I'd snatch them all up.

I already caved and got Rey with BB-8 too, and even Hoth Leia is beginning to tempt me - even with all her plastic - just because she's a little cheaper than usual, her plastic doesn't look so bad in some pictures (and I do adore how the hair looks from the front), and I guess I'm hoping that showing the line some more love will help even just a little. Now I'm weighing up whether to unbox or not. I do think they look better out of the box except for perhaps the Endor Adventure set, but I think I might also be leaning that way because I'm pushed for space as is.

cathiecat likes this.
  8. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    I'd love to pick up extras for that cheap - but that would mean going into Walmart. Meh, no thank you, I try to do that as infrequently as possible.

I actually love the Hoth Leia, at least the one I got I felt the plastic doesn't look so bad. I also really like the Leia face. I also felt her body was nice and tight so the plastic doesn't look tooo plasticy when she's displayed.

[​IMG]

Poor Jyn - massive thigh gaps, hard to display. The molded legs look terrible on her.

[​IMG]

cathiecat likes this.
  9. Scavenger Rey

Jan 6, 2018
    I've only been here in earnest for a little while and already the bad influence is striking... [face_laugh] I think direct light like in stores and in lots of photos makes it look more plastic-y than it would tucked on my shelf, posed. I'd love to have her side-on, as if about to fire her blaster... Ugh! I'm meant to be saving space for my grails!

cathiecat likes this.
  10. TheEvilQueen

TheEvilQueen Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 22, 2018
    Thanks for the welcome!

@PadmeLeiaJaina - Jyn is my least favorite of the line for that same reason you pointed out! Her legs look so awkward because of the action feature. She's at the back of my display because it bugs me.

Since so many were on sale, I did pick up an extra Endor Leia to be able to display Leia in both outfits. I took the hair down on the one in the Ewok dress so it looks more like in the movie.

Even though I don't like how much of Hoth Leia's outfit is molded plastic, the figure itself looks great on the shelf. And at least she poses much better than Jyn.

cathiecat likes this.
  11. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Apparently my Hoth Leia could use being repositioned

[​IMG]

Scavenger Rey and cathiecat like this.
  12. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Here are 2 side-ish photos of Hoth Leia

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Scavenger Rey

Jan 6, 2018
    ...I may have liberated the last remaining Leia and R2-D2 from the store on my way home. I can't wait to open her up and pose her!

I have a feeling you're going to be a very dangerous influence going forward, @PadmeLeiaJaina :p

PadmeLeiaJaina likes this.
  14. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    *Snort - lol I am a horrific enabler. If you haven't seen it - here's a link to my collection photos. I'm a VERY bad influence :p

On the plus side, I really do love the Hoth Leia, I love her face and hair. If my wallet allows it I might hit Wallyworld to see if there are any extras of the dolls on clearance around. I customize Barbies, so maybe I can do some Frankensteining of some of them

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
  15. Instant Force Talk

Instant Force Talk Jedi Youngling

Dec 23, 2017
    @PadmeLeiaJaina I have to confess that I now wish I either joined this site in 2017, or have met you back then. Because I would have offered to send you Japanese movie flyers for Star Wars: The Last Jedi. And even see if I could find any others at Nakano Broadway, which has a shop that sells such things. But no, you are out of luck and I can only hope to find one that compliments my plans for a The Empire Strikes Back collection. Which has me only focus on "vintage style" Boba Fett stuff. :boba:

I tease... I tease...

But yeah... When it comes to this line, it caught me off guard. And then hopeful that I could find Sabine Wren, who was elusive in my general area when I was thinking about collecting stuff tied to Star Wars Rebels. And yes, this was well before I concluded that I preferred to move forward with my currently in-action above plans. However, I agree with you on how oddly random their choices feel. It was like they decided to just choose random versions of random characters and expect them to sell right off the bat.

And what bugs me to the point that if it is not the paint quality for some of these figures, it is production quality for characters like Jyn. And the scale used for R2-D2 when I look at it. Things like this have me go from thinking I found an alternative to customizing a Volks Dolfie to wondering if they have a back-up plan this year. Because from what I am reading, their upcoming plans sound more ambitious than thought out in the end. Which sounds like how I tend to be, and hope to not become again later this year. [face_laugh]

Thankfully we have Disney's Toybox line. Because I have the one Boba Fett figure I want, have something being shipped that I hope will compliment it, and I am not planning to expand into the modern variants of that character. And as we speak... I am slightly scared on how he would look in this line. [face_laugh] But I am weird that way and always will be. :p

16. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Hi @Instant Force Talk ! You and @LAJ_FETT should get along famously as fellow Fetters.

The thing is, it's Hasbro, they're always inconsistent w/ the quality on their lines....always. I do love the Sabine doll from this line, she was a nice rarity that they gave her cloth pants so you don't have to see her weirdly molded legs. There really was no reason they couldn't have given pants like this to Jyn. If they'd done that Jyn would've looked a million times better.

[​IMG]

I like that for all of the dolls they've done so far you can actually stick the helmets on their heads. The molded body style is perfectly fine for dolls wearing armor or uniforms, just not for clothing.

[​IMG]

17. Scavenger Rey

Jan 6, 2018
    I've only just got them opened and on a shelf - I'm not even sure I'll keep them there or posed this generically - but I'm really happy with Jakku Rey and Hoth Leia out of the box. I LOVE Leia positioned this way especially. I'm on a spare phone at the moment so the quality isn't great, but it's still pretty evident how cool Leia looks like this if you ask me.

[​IMG]

If I hadn't just snagged the Black Series Sabine while out yesterday, she'd be on the way in this line too - something about how she looks with her helmet on in both forms is just so cool. I really, really love the combination of plastic for her armour and cloth for her trousers.

PadmeLeiaJaina likes this.
  18. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 12, 2015
    Yeah, here in Brazil, these line is very expensive, and yes the toys are on the SW part, of the BOY'S section...

19. Instant Force Talk

Dec 23, 2017
    Not really that big of a fan, @PadmeLeiaJaina ! Sure, I have the 2010 mail away "VCP03" Boba Fett (aka "Rocket-Firing" Boba Fett). And even if it does not get that "U" grade (which I do prefer as a collector these days), I still plan to have it graded by AFA. But I also have a rule of not allowing a single character be the primary focus in my collection. So we shall see about that down the road. :boba:

And also... Your photos of her are better than what Entertainment Earth offers! But in the end, the issues Jyn faces (as you have mentioned) has me wish that Hasbro had somebody consider taking a page on how Volks does their stuff. That way they would have something that feels far more customization friendly than what it really is. Which is a sad thing since the animated tie-in is kind of fun to watch.

And @Scavenger Rey ? Your photo is not showing up. And I was really hoping to see other display ideas since I am rethinking my ideas after seeing NIGO's (founder of 'A Bathing Ape') former style of displaying his pre-Sotherby's auctioned collection. :lando:

20. Scavenger Rey

Jan 6, 2018
    Ugh, how annoying! It comes up fine for me on my laptop and my phone so I'm not sure why it's behaving like that - I'll try to get a different link up tomorrow. They're just slotted in a space next to my Rey Pops atm so nothing fancy anyway! Not sure where they'll live long term as I'm still in that 'ahh they're so pretty and new and exciting I want to be able to see all of them' mode, haha.

21. Instant Force Talk

Dec 23, 2017
    Been there more times than I want to admit. And as for displays and collections, I have done neither for a Star Wars collection since 1985. So no worries how it looks. Mine will not be "complete" until I feel the need to move onto another series, and pick up odds and ends the moment those pop up. With the "permanent" stuff being its own topic. ;)

22. wobbits

Apr 12, 2017
  23. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    And he's sold out....

24. wobbits

Apr 12, 2017
    Wow that didn't take long at all.