main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Hasbro's Crowdsourcing 3 3/4" Jabba Sail Barge

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by PadmeLeiaJaina, Feb 23, 2018.

1. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    Master_Rebado and whostheBossk like this.
  2. whostheBossk

whostheBossk Force Ghost star 4

Apr 16, 2002
  3. whostheBossk

whostheBossk Force Ghost star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    I haven't backed it yet but this is a collectors dream so I will make a decision once I know if it reaches the goal of 5000 backers.

What a great display piece and a place for my Tatooine scum!

PadmeLeiaJaina likes this.
  4. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    It's really amazing. If I was only a millionaire w/ unlimited display room....

whostheBossk likes this.
  5. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    Currently sitting @ 2151 buyers w/32 days left. Checking an earlier post, they've added just under 400 in the last 9 days. @ that rate it seems destined to fall way short. Gotta wonder if Hasbro has a threshold in mind where they'd extend that window, or if they'd consider lowering the price to push it over the finish line. If this doesn't go to production, all of the time, effort and money spent making the prototype will have been for nothing and this crowd funding model will be dead before it even begins. It's kind of imperative that this works.

6. firesaber

firesaber Jedi Master star 4

Mar 5, 2006
    I could get on board with this. I think they picked the wrong debut piece though. I'd be interested to see what else they have on offer moving forward if there is a moving forward.

7. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    You get the sense maybe they decided to go w/an item like this to sorta test the boundaries of the platform a bit. If this works, it's a pretty good bet the other items on their to do list will too.

I wonder if this fails if that's that for the platform or if they'll give 'er another go. It can't be cheap to do the R&D and the mock-up on something like this. For it to not even go to production already puts this crowdfunding concept in the red.

8. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
  9. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
  10. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    Kinda saw that coming. Honestly that's probably the approach they should've taken from the beginning. W/2,300 still needed it may be too little too late.

11. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    I'm guessing they'll extend the date out.

12. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    Yeah, I can definitely see that happening. Kind of a dubious start for this particular business model.

13. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
  14. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    W/1 week left, the count stands @ 3780 of 5,000. They've made up some ground of late, but still looks as if it's going to fall short unless they issue an extension.

15. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    It is in the 4300s as of this evening. If you want it or were on the fence then you'd best make up your mind quick.

16. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Throwing in the Yak Face really helped to kick up the numbers. I have a feeling it'll hit the number....barely.

17. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Andddd the goal has been reached!!!!

Orders are FLYING in. Last time I checked they were 133 over the goal.

The only thing I can think of is...what in the world will they offer next now that this was successful?

Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
  18. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    I'm willing to be some people waited to file their taxes and order it with their returns. I don't have any real interest in a sail barge, but I'm very curious what comes next! A to scale falcon would be quite awesome. I'd drop five hundred on something like that for 3.75".

PadmeLeiaJaina likes this.
  19. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    A massive to scale Falcon would be cool. If I had the space and moola I'd love the sail barge.

I'm thinking -

Star Destroyer
    Massive Death Star Playset
    Massive Cantina playset
    Cloud City Carbonite chamber

They'd need to come up w/ items where you can use a lot of figures to display.

whostheBossk likes this.
  20. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    Yeah, a space for a lot of figures seems like what they're going for, which I think is an awesome idea. They could do a Supremacy set, or SKB set if they want to do a ST set. Maybe a scarif beach set. That'd be really cool!

Oh! Oh! A to-scale Endor bunker!

Master_Rebado likes this.
  21. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    This sudden, last second push seems a bit... dubious. 1,300+ commits in 4 days [face_thinking]? It's certainly possible people were just on the fence, saw the momentum breaking toward the goal and bought in. But the conspiracy theorist in me sees Hasbro not wanting their first endeavor to fail, so they "stepped in". Either way, good to see, I guess. So long as they continue to use it for these kinds of big ticket items and not across the entire line (though it seems to be flagging @ retail, so a subscription or online format seems inevitable).

Not sure much is going to temp me w/new items @ this point (and @ these prices) but some nice OT playset environments might; particularly Cloud City.

Master_Rebado likes this.
  22. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Yeah I think the numbers are legit, I keep seeing guys all over in assorted FB sites who kept shouting at people to join up after they just did. One guy said he ordered 2 one to take out and one to keep in box.

Again, Tax returns coming in I think was the thing to push them over.

Juke Skywalker likes this.
  23. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    I think more of it were people who were on the fence until the last week and saw where the numbers were. I had been setting some money aside every month for this and was able to do it with a week to spare.

Also, not all of us get tax refunds.

24. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Yeah tell me about it :(

25. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    Conspiracies aside, I am glad to see it made its goal. It's an impressive piece in an age when quite honestly Hasbro's vehicle/playset efforts have been lacking in the extreme. It's another sign that SW "toys" are an adult niche and kids are no longer its lifeline. Be curious to see what/when we see the next crowdfunded item from the Haslab.