main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Hasbro's Silly Unleashed Statues.................

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by Darth Jamus, Mar 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Jamus

Darth Jamus Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 1, 2000
    So, why do all of you love Hasbro's Unleashed statues so much? I would really like to know. I think that they are ridiculous looking, being posed in very unrealistically silly positions and bearing rather bad likenesses to the actors. Count Dooku did not look like Christopher Lee [face_shocked], Padme looks like Han Solo in the face [face_shocked], and the new upcoming Palpatine literally made me want to laugh [face_shocked]. They are so extremely overdone, I mean Anakin looks like he is being skewered for goodness sakes! Even when they get the likenesses fairly right, they give them silly mongoloid expressions that do not reflect the spirit of Star Wars, but rather of some barbarian movie! I stand in the stores gawking at them wondering why so many of them sell. I simply cannot fathom wanting these silly looking items in my home :confused:, but that is simply my own opinion. I am very interested in hearing exactly what it is that appeals so much to so many of you about this particular line of collectibles. I am just curious and look forward to hearing from you all! :)

P.S. If you hate them like I do, feel free to post here to, I'd like to know if I am NOT alone in disliking them! 8-}

2. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    I heard this before about Padmé having a
    manly expression and I really wonder
    why people say that.
    Mine has a very good Padmé likeness.

3. strangebehaviour

strangebehaviour Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 11, 2002
    Silly Unleashed figures??? you've got to be kidding me! I really love those. I only have Vader and Anakin but they did a great job on them! Much better than some of the other figures I've seen. and I plan to buy more of them too. My only complaint is that I can't find them! :)

4. dustinbrewer

dustinbrewer Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 8, 2002
    this is a good thread, i've heard this brought up in many conversations.

for me, i bought the Darth Maul Unleashed right when i saw it for the first time because it was the best representation of the character that has been done in my opinion. most of the 3 3/4" versions are very square and dont show the intensity or emotion that the character showed on screen, with the execption of Saga Darth Maul Sith Training, that figure and the unleashed look very similar. the anakin, jango, mace, etc., for me, show a more true representation of the characters in the movies than the regular 3 3/4" lines.

so i do enjoy the unleased line, because it does show dramatic emotion, creativity and imagination of the movies.

just my two cents.

5. Ret

Ret Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 17, 1999
    Not for me but I do think they look good.

6. LittleGreenMaster

LittleGreenMaster Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 19, 2002
    OK, 1st off Darth Jamus, What makes you think people who Love Unleashed like myself are going to try to prove how good they are to you ?[face_plain]
    You obviously dislike them Greatly, You call them both silly & ridiculous, What do you care what we think ?[face_plain]

Besides that, You've already disrespected & insulted anyone who likes the Unleashed with both the title of this thread & the total lack of respect for your fellow collectors in your initial post ;)

In my estimation you have absolutely no real interest in other peoples opinions

It seems to me you started this thread in order to express to everyone your dislike of Unleashed and in the hopes of finding more bashers, Why didn't you just post your dislike in the Unleashed thread?

Too many Unleashed Lovers me thinks [face_mischief]

You certainly didn't start this topic to have a respectful, intelligent or engaging debate with people like me who happen to [face_love] the Unleashed figures/statues, Otherwise your 1st post would have been much more thoughtful ;)

BTW, Just try, Just try to explain how you think the Darth Vader Unleashed looks silly, I'd really like to hear that one [face_mischief]

Have a Nice day Unleashed hater :D :D :D

7. jango_joe

jango_joe Jedi Padawan star 4

May 22, 2002
    Here Here that LGM's Post. I for one ( there are many) love the unleased.

8. Obi-Wan's Apparition

Obi-Wan's Apparition Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 10, 2000
    Ok, I'll be the first person to say that they also hate them. Their too overposed and they look funny. :)

9. Mr.Neck or Yarael Poof

Mr.Neck or Yarael Poof Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 19, 2000
    Let's not let things start to get ugly here, everyone is entitled to their own opinions, whether you personally agree with them or not.

I myself like about half the Unleashed line, but I've still yet to buy any of them. Some of them look nice and all, but I really just don't have the space for them or the money to be buying them... :p

10. Darth Jamus

Jun 1, 2000
    As I stated, It is simply my opinion which I am entitled to. I see no need to walk on eggshells over it LittleGreenMaster! To get insulted because you and many others buy something that someone else hates is just silly! Of course I am in the minority on this point of view, that is the whole purpose of this thread. You ask why you should explain, well I am happy to explain my likes to people, be they bashers or anyone else. I have defended TPM many many times in the past, not because I HAVE to, but because I want to. If you would rather complain about my motives that you obviously know more about than I do as opposed to answering my question, feel free to go away and not post in this thread. Perhaps you are a basher of anyone who happens not to share your opinion????? Also, I find it funny that the Darth Vader figure is the ONLY one you can defend the line with, especially when you don't think it (the line) needs defending! [face_laugh]

Thanks for your informative responses Billy_Dee_Binks, strangebehaviour, dustinbrewer, and Ret!

With that said, I really thought that line would fail based on the poses and such, but I was wrong and they have been very successful. Obviously, lots of folks have really enjoyed them for reasons that are totally foreign to me. Yes foreign, that it why I came here to try and find out what everyone sees in them. I am curious as to their success! Another question, do you all remove them from their packaging or not? if I bought them, I would remove them for display! :)

11. jango_joe

jango_joe Jedi Padawan star 4

May 22, 2002
    i remove them from there packaging, they are too detailed not too. I have jango and Maul. they are the only ones that i have been able to find. Mauls face captures his anger, and movment perfectly.

12. LittleGreenMaster

Aug 19, 2002
    You & Mr. Neck completely missed my point :D

I was pointing out how disrespectful your topic is to people who like or Love the Unleashed statues, I believe you have the right to express your opinion ;)
    I just think that if you want people who like the Unleashed to post here I don't see why you were so mean spirited in your initial post ;)

As I said you're entitled to your opinion, That doesn't mean you have to insult the rest of us, Reread your 1st post & think about it :D
    I really don't care that you don't like them, I'm not the type that wants everyone to like the same things, I'm saying you were disrespectful, which is completely uneccessary :)
    Your thread's 1st post by you is laced with attitude, That is not my doing :)
    As I said, you missed my point, And I was as nice as I could be, I'm not a basher, I'm a defender & I was never once disrespectful to you in my post, Just pointed out your lack of respect, that's all :D

In closing, I wasn't annoyed by your opinion, I'm saying there is always a way to express yourself positively & respectfully even when you hate something ;)

I did not respond to your question because of the paragraph proceeding it was So harsh & obviously insulting to people like me who like them ;)

OK, I'm done, Enjoy your thread :D

13. RogueWompRat

RogueWompRat Jedi Youngling star 4

Feb 15, 2003
    I need ta find that Padme [face_love] , saw it once at TRU but didnt have enough $ for it, when I went next time it was gone. :(

14. Darth Jamus

Jun 1, 2000
    I live in Alabama and the Unleashed figures are not generally THAT hard to come by around here. I guess that is why I have the opportunity to stand in the store staring at them eh?? [face_mischief] They sell, just not so quickly that you don't have a shot at getting one if you want it! I will concede that they (Hasbro) tend to do a better job on characters such as Jango and Vader whom are armored and not relying on facial sculpts. They also tend to tone down the overly dramatic poses which is always a plus with this line in my opinion. ;)

15. Darth Jamus

Jun 1, 2000
    Okay LittleGreenMaster, I did not intend to come across as offensive to you or anyone else, :) though I do not see attitude in my post but rather a simple statement of my opinion, however unpopular it may be! :(
    As I said, I really am interested in knowing why so many love this line, including you, so sorry I told you to go away! [face_blush]

16. LittleGreenMaster

Aug 19, 2002
    Is OK ;)
    If it makes you feel better I agree with you about Padme :)

I Love the Darth Vader the Best because he looks Exactly like he did during the Big moment in ESB :D
    I think Jango is Especially good too IMHO :D

I guess I like how dynamic they look and the artistic sort of style they all have ;)

17. strangebehaviour

Aug 11, 2002
    ahhh the love. :)

I take mine out of the packages, which is odd because I generally leave other figures in the packages. :D

18. Darth Jamus

Jun 1, 2000
    "I like how dynamic they look and the artistic sort of style they all have"

Yes, I suppose that is one way to look at it (which I had not considered) as opposed to making it identical to the film! Sort of like artists differing takes and styles on Star Wars adaptions and such. I admit that the Darth Vader looks pretty good. The Jango was good, it was the rendition of Boba that I had a beef with on that particular offering! Have you seen the picture of the new Palaptine Unleashed? It goes back to what I do not enjoy about the line. :(

Do you all like these Unleashed statues better than the Epic Force Statues from several years back? I liked the Epic Force line because it actually reflected sequences from the movie. LittleGreenMaster, you stated that you like Vader Unleashed because of its similarities to his big scene in TESB. Would you prefer that the Unleashed line continue in this trend or the trend of "artistic style"? How about everyone else? I know that I personally would prefer more true to the movie scenarios a bit more like the Epic Force line.

19. strangebehaviour

Aug 11, 2002
    Well, I never bought any of the Epic Force line, but I do like the figures that depict movie scenes. Having said that, I like the emotion that the Unleashed figures display. The main reason I don't have all of the Unleashed is they cost $15 each. Have you seen the Mace?? I would love to get that one!

20. LittleGreenMaster

Aug 19, 2002
    ahhh the love. :) Lovely Princess [face_mischief]

Ummmm, It doesn't really matter to me as long as the the Artistic interpretation doesn't go overboard :)

Yes I Like the Palpatine, Although I seem to be the only one :p
    Oh, and just to give you a little insight into where I'm coming from, I'm an artist ;)

I like them better than Epic Force, They're a little more Detailed & more exciting to me somehow :D

21. Darth Jamus

Jun 1, 2000
    Going back to what I said about the figures having barbaric mongoloid expressions on their face, my hatred of this does not stem from the Unleashed line only. I avoid twelve inch and 3 3/4 inch figures that feel the need to reflect this also! The 12 inch TPM Mace Windu figure will always eclipse the AOTC version because of this fact, regardless of the wrong lightsabre being included in the first version. The calm cool Mace Windu would never go around screaming and yelling and I simply do not like it when the sculpters of the figures and statues at Hasbro do this. If they were doing this in the films it would be different for me, but they are not! I am used to seeing this done on items and products based on comic books, though I don't particularly care for it there either, but it just seems out of place with Star Wars for the most part. I hope that this better explains my disdain for the majority of the Unleashed line and other similar product decisions. Anyone else have any viewpoints on which way they would like to see this line go? The same direction? Closer to the movie scenarios? Completely original concepts??

22. Padawan716

Padawan716 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 7, 2001
    I'm gonna get a few whenever they go on sale, they look sweet. :D

23. RogueWompRat

RogueWompRat Jedi Youngling star 4

Feb 15, 2003
    I agree with you on the 3/4th inch figs having ridiculous expressions. Especialy Mace. Like someone else said before, he looks loke hes forcing out a Death Star sized turd. Im replacing his head with that of the TPM Mace fig.

24. strangebehaviour

Aug 11, 2002
    I won't buy that Mace. It scares me. ;)

25. Darth Jamus

Jun 1, 2000
    Depending on what direction they take, I may be interested in seeing the Unleashed line release faceless characters from Star Wars such as Stormtroopers or Clonetroopers, or for that matter Rebel Fleet Troopers. Would you all like to see characters like that made in this line, or would you prefer that they stick with the main characters from the Saga?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.