main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

LA, CA Hasketting Palace! (Random bits of silliness and a place where tangents fit)

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by TheCrowbar, Sep 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skyryder

Skyryder Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 13, 2004
    ES, I got your call, but couldn't answer it at work, because I was in a meeting. I'll call you after I post this. I'm sure you wanted to make plans for Corpse Bride. I'm up for seeing it Friday or anytime this weekend. My only plans are doing Meals on Wheels Saturday morning.

2. Elensara

Elensara Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2002
    Suuure, you will. :p

3. DarthHaskett

DarthHaskett Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 29, 2003
    ES, I can't go today (Friday) either because Mr. DH has a doctor's appointment, I have a Class Rep meeting this evening, and our padawan comes home so it's going to be a packed day.

Sad news, I may not be able to do a Firefly thing next weekend after all. Mr. DH and our padawan were supposed to go on a camping trip but they did not sign up in time so chances are they won't be going. As a result we will probably go to a family friend's daughter's birthday on Saturday. Can we do this marathon on Sunday around lunch? I can get out of Church by 11:30, if you give me time to change and scrub the gunk off my face I could be at your place by 12:15 or 12:30. I'll bring some food...

4. JediRacer

JediRacer Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 5, 2000
    Gunk on you face from church? What kind of church is that?

Anyway.. I got the OK to go to see Corpse Bride tonight. I get out of work around 4:00 pm hopefully, so I can shoot on over to the westside/Santa Monica after that. I'm looking at the Corpse Bride ad in the paper.. I think it's safe to say I can make any showing after 5:45. What is your plan ES? In any case, you can just call me, I think you have my number. SR has my number.

5. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    Face Paint. Have fun tonight, guys. Maybe I'll take my padawan this weekend.

6. AniPadmeLurker

AniPadmeLurker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2004
    Yeah, gunk. How come you have to wear face paint to church? Why not wear it all the time? Are you like me and only wear it when you feel like it?

7. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    Nope, only to work, church and when I go to fancy places at night otherwise I prefer not to have to deal with the stuff.

Though on a sort of related face paint note, the Nordstrom's at the Arcadia mall is having a cosmetics "trunk show" so they will be showing the new colors for fall. I'm going. It's $15 which goes to any purchases you may make. I'm getting a make over also.

8. JediBith

JediBith Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 6, 2001
    Good luck with that (BTW you don't need one)! I once had a makeover and they put so much stuff on I looked like Pamela Anderson (ho-ish) and had to run to the mall bathroom after to frantically wash my face. Kids were pointing at me on the way there. It was horrible. I don't like strangers touching me anyway....

As to make-up: it can be fun, but ultimately just give me my lipstick. I can do without everything else but I love lipstick. Plus it keeps me from getting chapped. It's important though to get something your honey likes too! [face_whistling]

9. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    Lipstick tastes bad to me so I rarely wear it. Only when I go to fancy places at night and occasionally to church.

Make up is no fun but it prevents me from looking like a total schlub.

I usually tell them not to lay it on thick because I don't like a lot either so I completely understand what you are talking about, JB. Who needs to look like that any way?

10. JediBith

Nov 6, 2001
    You could never be a schlub!

To keep this thread officially "Haskett-worthy:"

My refrigerator smells like onions. I cut too many onions for dinner last night and I put the leftovers in a baggie in there and now the whole fridge smells. It's not too awful: I like the smell of onions. But I worry about the other food in there -- the cheeses, milk, chocolate. Will it all become onion-y?

11. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    If not kept in an airtight container, it is possible that they will smell onion-y. Why do you keep chocolate in the fridge? I was told that it wasn't necessary.

12. Elensara

Apr 2, 2002
    If her house gets above 74 degrees, it's necessary. Unless it's impure chocolate (waxy), then it'll have ahigher melting point and not matter as much.

13. Skyryder

Apr 13, 2004
    Well that just solves that mystery. ES our resident Godiva guru.

14. JediBith

Nov 6, 2001
    I likes me the good stuff: reeaaallly dark chocolate. But I don't eat it very often (oddly, I don't really have the proverbial sweet tooth afflicting so many of my fellows). So, I keep said chocolate in cold storage for "emergencies."

And now said chocolate might be onion-y. Oh well. Stupid baggies of storage: you are WEAK! Weak, I say. Well I'll just put it in the category of Jalapeno Jelly: as in, a weird taste sensation I might actually like...

15. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    I love jalepeno jelly! It's so tasty! Yummm!

Thanks for the chocolate advice, ES! I know if you change the temperature too quickly you get streaks in your chocolate that's why we usually don't store our chocolates in the fridge. I have a couple of tupperware containers where I keep the baking chocolate and some other such items. The chips we use quick enough that it's not worth transporting them in and out of the container (that's pretty bad, isn't it?)

16. Elensara

Apr 2, 2002
    Using chocolate chips quickly is the sign of a happy household. I recommend Ghirardelli Double Chocolate (dark) chips for snacking, and Ghirardelli Semi-Sweet (regular sized dark) chips for pancakes and baking, as sometimes the double chips are too intense for sweet cake-y things. :) :) :)

EDIT--Oh, and yes, the temp is sometimes critical. When, at Godiva, we're dipping fruit or whatnot, if the chocolate is even a degree off, it blooms (not severely, but gets kind of whiteish on the outside) after it hardens. I think dark has to be at 76 degrees and milk at 78, or something like that. And the chocolate I had coming in the mail? Well I don't know if it was warm on the way or what. It's still good, but it's lost it's glossy sheen and doesn't snap cleanly...like it's absorbed moisture or something. :( It still tastes fine, just not quite as it would if I hadn't mailed it.

17. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    We use the double chocolate for cookies. We also just discovered 65% cocoa dark chocolate chips (Mr. DH is a big fan of dark chocolate) so we are going to try that out next. The regular ones are okay. I like using their baking bars too.

18. Elensara

Apr 2, 2002
    I see you don't need any help at all, DH! You already have good taste in chocolate. :)

19. JediRacer

Apr 5, 2000
    Ok so.. per the other thread, ES already saw Corpse Bride? So we're not seeing it tonight? What's the deal? I gotta know. I'm a busy person you know.

20. Elensara

Apr 2, 2002
    Blargggh! I don't *know* why it's in different threads. Sor-ry, oh-so-busy one. How about I just call you?

21. AniPadmeLurker

AniPadmeLurker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2004
    Makeup:
    I like lip gloss not lipstick coz I too hate the taste and smell. It smells like old lady:)

Don't get a makeover from MAC, I call it stage makeup because it's really thick and gaudy.

EDIT
    You guys are being boring again! Anyways I do have a new question that is random:
    Anyone here ever written SW fanfiction? Just curious. Don't know if you guys are into that..anyways...back to work for me.

22. JediRacer

Apr 5, 2000
    We're boring because we're old. We get excited for a little while, then we get tired and need to take a nap. That's what we're all doing right now. Sorry.
    Sorry ES about tonight. I didn't mean to turn you down like that. Blame it on SR though, it was his decision. No really, I want to see the movie, and I'm not doing anything tonight, but YG also wants to see the movie and I'd feel bad going without her, although she's in NY without me.

Here's your chance. We need a new scrolling marquee. I will put up any nonsense for a day or two. Whoever comes up with the best line in the next hour or so, I'll put up. It has to be tasteful, of course.. DB.

APL. I've never written any SW Fan Fiction or any fiction or anything for that matter. DH will tell you, I'm illiterate and I have no imagination.

23. Skyryder

Apr 13, 2004
    APL I believe VK has written some fan fiction. She had/has a web page that posted many of her stories which were great.

I thought we were going to blame YG for our old fogieness JR. ES I don't think I would be in a mood to drive from the 310 to the 818 and then back again. Sorry I carpool.

24. Elensara

Apr 2, 2002
    Whatever, oldie. :p Maybe you can feel "young" again on Monday.

JR, it's OK. On the scale of disappointment, this is maybe a 2/10, and not at all unexpected, given SR's carpool situation.
    Hey, SR, if you're ever not carpooling and want to, you could stop by for a drink or something and hang out for a while (if it's early enough, you can catch some Anderson Cooper too).

25. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    I too am an oldie and feeling my age every day. Man!

Yes, VK is the only one in our group who writes SF. I used to read it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.