main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Hasn't the Saga Been Concluded?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Garrett Atkins, Apr 17, 2013.

1. Garrett Atkins

Garrett Atkins Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 11, 2013
    George said it himself. Star Wars is about Anakin Skywalker and his redemption. Everything seemed concluded at the end of ROTJ including:
    - Luke became a Jedi and redeemed his father.
    - Han and Chewie's debt ended after the events on Tatooine.
    - Han and Leia got together.
    - R2-D2 and C-3PO fufilled their duty.
    - Lando and Han made up.
    - Wedge became Red Leader.
    - The Empire had been defeated.
    - Darth Vader was redeemed by destroying the Sith- him and Palpatine.
    IMO, the saga has been concluded and the ST can only destroy things the saga has given us. What do you think?

SeinEwigerSchatten likes this.
  2. princessnikki

princessnikki Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 8, 2012
    I have stopped trying to think... I am just going wait and see what happens. It was always suggested that there would be more chapters to the overall story, so that being the case I am happy to wait patiently for it to come along and surprise me...and hopefully surprise everyone else as well.

3. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
  4. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    George seems to say many things when he's feeling tired of SW (until his enthusiasm is reinvigorated).

You're right that the saga was over as it stood, but there have always been rumblings of a 9 or even 12 part saga, so I'm more than happy to get more. Also, don't you think it's a little close minded to say it cannot be continued at all? Just because we think it's over, that doesn't mean there can't be twists to extend the saga. I'm looking forward to the plot surprises with bated breath, cuz let's face it, the saga pretty much can't be continued without some dramatic plot turns.

IMO it will all get turned on it's head while retaining the meaningfulness already in place. It's just the meaningfulness will be spread over more than the 6 films we have now.

5. Kez-Iban

Kez-Iban Jedi Master star 2

Sep 4, 2012
    I agree 100%. Return of the Jedi ended with a happily ever after scenario. The whole 'war' part of Star Wars was now over. It seemed like that now that the Empire was toppled that the galaxy would return to the more peaceful times that Ben Kenobi spoke of before the Empire took over. With an new trilogy coming, that peace must have been short lived.
    I think George Lucas really meant what he was saying when he said that everything was concluded, but he was ready to sell and have it out of his hands, and Disney felt that there was still money to be made from this franchise. The best way to make money is by making a continuation of the most popular trilogy and bring back the original actors. I personally would have preferred new movies to have been set back in the Knights of the Old Republic era and let the heroes of the original trilogy have their happily ever after, but that's just me.

darklordoftech likes this.
  6. Jobertus

Jobertus Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    Nope.

Luke has to start to rebuild the Jedi Order
    The Alliance has to build a New Republic
    etc., etc.

(someone else who has more time than I do right now can list more)

7. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Yes, the saga is concluded. It is time for a new adventure.

But I fail to see how this "destroys" the saga.

8. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    No, the saga always originally planned to go up to Episode IX. Lucas wanted Hamill and co. to return to "pass down to the next generation of Jedi" all the way back to 1983. These stories are the ones becoming treatments and scripts for the current Sequel Trilogy.

Star Wars isn't about Anakin Skywalker, per say, it's about the Skywalkers and the Skywalker Dynasty. These stories will, presumably, wrap up the story of Luke Skywalker and open us to the new chapter.

9. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    ^This

Lucas tried to end it due to personal issues but the universe was always meant to be bigger... he then came back to it with the prequals after years of the EU telling him fans wanted more (he even announced then cancled a ST back in the 90s).

Lucas wrote 9 episodes and 3 spinoffs.

Beautiful_Disaster likes this.
  10. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    These nine scripts were later condensed to six.

If you look at the situation after ROTJ there's simply not enough threat to properly challenge the heroes. The Empire is done for. Using them again would be a boring rehash. We need a new threat to start a new epic struggle.

11. topgoalscorer_no11

topgoalscorer_no11 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2001
    Disney would tap into an awful lot of nostalgia by bringing the Empire back as a threat - don't tell me there's not a little part of you that fancies seeing cold imperial officers bestriding the decks of Star Destroyers, and Stormtroopers firing wildly past those heroic droids?

12. RebelBird631

RebelBird631 Jedi Youngling

Mar 16, 2013
    Lucas did in fact write 9 scripts and scaled it down to six as Darth_Pevra stated..however, he also said he had enough material written to make a story for a post-jedi trilogy(all original, not Timothy Zahn's novels or anything else from the post-jedi era in the expanded universe). Which yes, as other people have stated is Luke and co. rebuilding the jedi order. The rebels may have won the war but peace still needed to be restored throughtout the galaxy. However, after Lucas was criticized so badly from his work on the prequels he decided to just scrap those ideas, throw in the towel, and let it be the way it is... Personally, IMO(and this is just my opinion take it for what it's worth), I think he so badly wants the rest of his story to be put out there, but he just doesn't want to have to deal with the burden again if something goes wrong. And lets face it, if something very miniscule goes wrong in any of the three movies, Star Wars fans across the galaxy will, once again, point their fingers at George. So he decided to put that burden in somebody's else's hands..who better than Disney?

Original Oatmeal likes this.
  13. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    I know that. And it's what I'm afraid of: The whole ST being nothing but a nostalgia ride rehashing the glory of the OT.

No, I don't want it. Because I know perfectly well that even if I would enjoy a nostalgia romp at first viewing I wouldn't be able to love it. I'd rather have a flawed but ambitious end product than a conservative but nicely crafted nostalgia ride.

14. topgoalscorer_no11

topgoalscorer_no11 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2001
    I respect that point of view, but I feel as if that's what we got with the PT.

I think what Star Wars really needs now is some well crafted films - with nostalgic trappings which hark back to the beginnings of the OT if necessary.

These new films have to be good - in the sense that they're recognisably well scripted, well performed and well directed. Otherwise Disney will have bought a dud, and they'll cut the throat of the franchise without a second thought.

15. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Fully agreed.

Agreed, but all he did to condence it was make Leia the lost sister and have Vader kill the Emperor. All the other plot points he wrote would still work and Plagueis offers him a way to top Palpatine or replace him (be it he's still alive or his teachings). Due to the sale to Disney we do know Lucas did revist those last three story outlines.

From what we know of those three story threatments the Empire was still around and the EU proved the Empire can believable survive RotJ

16. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Yes, the Empire could be reanimated like some Zombie. You could even bring back Palpatine or the Palpatine clone named Plagueis. But should you? Would it make a compelling story that fits well with ROTJ?

After the humiliating defeat the Empire and/or Sidious just won't make a very scary villain, no matter how many planets they happen to destroy on the way. They'd sorta be like Gargamel from the smurfs, pathetically trying to defeat the good guys again and again and being smacked down every time anyway.

Amazing Spiderman was actually a good movie but not well received because it rehashed the Raimi trilogy too much. Of course it didn't bomb but I don't want Star Wars to go the road of mediocrity. At some point rehashing just won't cut it anymore and people will stop going into the cinema anymore for Star Wars flicks.

Yes you are right the PT tried to do something new but ironically whenever there was nostalgia stuff (R2 and 3PO or Chewbacca) it didn't work so well.

I'd rather have Star Wars go out with a bang rather than go the way of Pirates of the Carribean or Shrek or these other franchises which have relied on nostalgia way too much.

Original Oatmeal likes this.
  17. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009

Personally I don't think the Empire would be as crippled as some seem to believe. As the above Robot Chicken sketch aptly points out, The Empire still has a massive fleet at the end of Return of the Jedi. Even without the Death Star, Vader and Palpatine they are still a sizable military force to reckon with. If anything Palpatine would now act as a martyr for the Empire.

18. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    [face_rofl]

Han Yolo likes this.
  19. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    [​IMG]

Guess what ROTJ is?

20. OldTimeFan

OldTimeFan Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 28, 2011
    Come on let us be honest people like us of the older generation that seen all six movies in the cinema know the last part of the saga is Return of the Jedi.

I am one of the people who enjoy the prequel trilogy but I know the classic trilogy is the meat of the saga.

I assume most of us have the Blu Rays of the saga?

Having said all of the above Disney is a business and they have purchased the rights and are making a new trilogy.

If Episode 7 stinks they are in trouble.

Disney seems to be confident and I for one am looking forward to having new Star Wars movies.

Will they be as good as the old ones who knows? but having new movies is better then not having new movies and our Blu Rays are safe.

Return of the Jedi wrapped up things pretty neatly and I for one hope they do not mess with this.

If the new movie has the Empire or clones of any dead characters I will be given it a miss and I will not feel the need to come online and bash it endlessly.

It the new movie gives us something new I will be first to book for a midnight show.

A bit of fun a decent story and plenty of action and great effects and I will be a happy camper.

21. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Hasn't the Saga Been Concluded?

Yes. It certainly has. I'm not quite certain why you are even here. Or why this forum exits. Or why this thread exists. Or why it was even coniceved of. It's all quasi-existentialism.

22. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    Apparently it has not ended. At one time it had. But now it hasn't. Saga extension sent to begin 2015!;)

23. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    The Empire's fall (aka to mopping up campain) should be the premise of the upcoming tv show... and it should set the stage for whatever Lucas demeeded in his episode VII story treatment, which may or may not include the Empire.

24. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    Incorrect, Lucas had scripts for a post-ROTJ story in 1983 that he wanted to advance. He later cancelled this, but as you can tell the "around 2011" date wasn't far off at all from what we're getting. One could argue just by this that the Sequel Trilogy in some form was always going to happen.

What I don't understand is why some people don't want these sequels to happen, and why they're perfectly content with Luke Skywalker's story ending the way it is. Here's how I see it:

Episode I-III Anakin Skywalker's rise and fall. These movies focused heavily on how Anakin's rise to the Jedi Order and his eventual downfall.
    Episode IV-VI Anakin's conclusion and Luke Skywalker's rise. These movies focused on how Anakin was saved and his story was concluded through the rise of Luke Skywalker.
    Episode VII-IX Luke Skywalker's conclusion and (blank) Skywalker's rise.
    These movies will illustrate Luke attempting to fix the darkness that Anakin brought to the galaxy, bringing everything full circle with his character's conclusion and bringing the galaxy back to the way it used to be.

25. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Agreed... as far as GL reinvigorating his enthusiasm, that's perfectly logical...such things happen to us all!

as far as the idea of continuing with a new trilogy, I think that in such a huge universe with such wide range of opportunities for a fresh new story line with fresh new characters is actually something that I am quite excited about the sky is the limit as to where to go and I would be perfectly happy if it didn't involve any of the characters previous trilogies-although don't get me wrong-I would love to see them again!!

I also think that what will happen is this ST will play out in such a way that it makes us look at the saga as a whole in a completely different way-much like how the dark night rises did with Batman begins and the dark knight...I think after seeing the ST there will be things that we find out That we never even thought were possible! And that's very exciting!!!

Darth_Pevra likes this.