main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Hasn't the Saga Been Concluded?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Garrett Atkins, Apr 17, 2013.

1. Slash78

Slash78 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2004

I bet if you asked him that once every 3 months until about 2025 you would get 17 different answers.

2. Theo333

Theo333 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 29, 2011
    The saga complete? Of course not!

We still haven't addressed the Jedi's, New Republic's, and Imperial Remnant's search for the Almighty Dollar, a massive, newly revealed superweapon that's a threat to the entire galaxy, created by the masterminds of the Yensid Imperium. Its superlaser has the ability to drain a single planet of all its space dollars.

3. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Yep. And then you could make a pre-prequel trilogy about his rise to prominence, along with Palpatine's, and the earlier jedis efforts to stop him. That way, you bookend the Tragedy of Darth Vader with two trilogies that are connected to each other and the OT/PT by way of Palpatine/Yoda and then Luke Han Leia. It would bring everything full circle.

darklordoftech likes this.
  4. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    The Saga has been concluded. Anything after ROTJ will be a different Saga.

5. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Films within trilogies, trilogies within sub-sagas, sub-sagas within The Saga. And then spin-offs that also fit within that larger Saga too. :p

6. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    The "saga" is actually a reference to the drama of the filmmaking and production decisions.

klooney likes this.
  7. Carbon1985

Carbon1985 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 23, 2013
    The saga is now 9 movies as The Tragedy of Darth Vader is no more. The SW Saga is 3 Trilogies of 3 generations of Skywalkers.

Dra--- likes this.
  8. Darth_Arapsis

Darth_Arapsis Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2013
    Who cares about the Saga? Star Wars = a whole universe to play with.

9. Slash78

Jul 30, 2004
    The Saga will never be Over...as long as there is money to be made.

V-2 likes this.
  10. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Lucas said in the Alan Arnold interview that he wrote I-VI originally and added VII-IX after the success of ANH. Therefore, I consider VII-IX to be a Sequel Saga.

11. Carbon1985

Apr 23, 2013
    Lucas said back in 1983 (I will have to find the interview to cite my source) that the saga is 3 trilogies where he described the ST as more 'etheral' compared to the other 2 trilogies. Face it this 'tragedy of Darth Vader' nonsense was something Lucas only started talking about during the PT, and the fact that HE is involved in the ST furthers my point that the Saga is really 9 movies.

Heero_Yuy likes this.
  12. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    We still have no idea whether or not Anakin's story will continue in the ST. The Tragedy of Darth Vader may encompass the entire 9 films.

13. Slash78

Jul 30, 2004

Or twelve...or maybe 15. Then again, destroying the DS at the end of IV and killing Kenobi wasn't the original plan. That's why we got a Death Star in VI and he thought about bringing Kenobi back to life (not kidding). Though Leia wasn't he sister at that point, who was training to be a Jedi or fighting or something at the other end of the Galaxy and the Emperor wasn't supposed to die until IX.

So yeah, George says a lot. I wonder if he's got even 10% of this all written down. Or if there are just rooms full of notes and binders somewhere that will be released and published (or maybe just burned) after his death.

14. Carbon1985

Apr 23, 2013
    Do you really think they are going to make a post OT trilogy about Darth Vader, despite the fact that he died in Episode VI? :confused:

15. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Yea, his story has been told. A short cameo scene would be neat but he (or Anakin) shouldn't be a main character.

16. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    "Tragedy of Darth Vader" != "The Saga is I-VI"

17. Carbon1985

Apr 23, 2013
    The bottom line is the OT was ALWAYS about Luke, as Star Wars was originally called 'The Adventures of Luke Skywalker.' Luke was the main character in the OT, and the story could have ended in 1983 and it would have a beginning, middle and end. Then Lucas decided to make the PT, so he started with a new selling point of 'The Tragedy of Anakin Skywalker' as now the character arc is 1-6. Now Lucas will be involved in Episode 7-9, so he will change the arc of the story AGAIN, and they will sell it as something else this time.

My whole point is that the Saga is NOW 9 Episodes, but that doesn't mean you can't watch a particular SW story the way you want it. You can watch The Original SW the way people did in 1977 and it will work perfectly as a standalone movie. You can watch it as just the OT as Luke is the main protagonist, or watch it as 1-6 with a Darth Vader character arc. But make no mistake about it, the Saga Forum at TFN WILL be about 1-9 after Episode 7 comes out.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  18. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    He isn't Darth Vader anymore so of course not. But I can definitely see Anakin coming back as a Force ghost and having an impact on the story. With the saga at nine films I can even see the prophecy not yet complete and Anakin still having to fulfill it somehow. If this is a continuation of the saga and not the start of a new one then there has to be a connection with the themes of the other two trilogies or it is just an epilogue. We'll just have to wait and see how they handle it.

19. Carbon1985

Apr 23, 2013
    Or maybe Lucas may change the whole story arc in the ST that contradicts what was said in the PT. Remember he did that in the OT. ;)

Remember he made Star Wars in 1977 where Vader killed Lukes father, and was contradicted in ESB. He then contradicted another plot point by saying Leia was Lukes sister, even though they shared a big smooch in ESB. Then he contradicts Obiwan in ROTJ by having QuiGon find Anakin in TPM. He then contradicts ROTJ by having Padme die in childbirth despite Leia saying her REAL mom died when she was very young.

When Lucas is writing a new movie or a new trilogy, ANY plot point from a previous trilogy can be contradicted for the sake of the newest movie, so I would worry that this whole Darth Vader arc maybe another contradiction after the ST is made. ;)

V-2 likes this.
  20. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Could be but like I said none of us know yet what Lucas/Arndt have in store so it's anyone's guess at this point.

21. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Anakin/Vader would not have to appear at all... in any form... in order for his legacy to still cause problematic reverberations in the galaxy (in general) and in his descendants, specifically.

V-2 and Dra--- like this.
  22. Rachel_In_Red

Rachel_In_Red Jedi Master star 3

May 12, 2013
    1) You're going to go watch it whether you like the idea of a ST or not, and so is everyone else on this board and countless other movie fans.

2) Making the ST isn't going to destroy the bank accounts of those involved in developing it, and that (whether good or bad) is the main thing.

23. jamesdrax

jamesdrax Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2000
    Star Wars was a simple little movie from 1977 that got a few sequels and ballooned out to this major franchise with too many superfluous add-on chapters that did nothing but complicate things. It's really just a story about a farm boy who leaves home, meets some wacky characters, blows up the Death Star and gets a medal from a princess. And perhaps followed by a little-known Alan Dean Foster book called Splinter of the Mind's Eye.

24. Slash78

Jul 30, 2004

You are talking to someone who had the misfortune of seeing Star Trek Nemesis in the movie theaters. That destroyed the TNG portion of the Star Trek franchise, but the franchise overall lived on. There is really little to nothing that can "kill the Star Wars saga" except leaving it alone.

25. jamesdrax

jamesdrax Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2000
    I loved that movie! Definitely better than the overrated First Contact and a terrific Jerry Goldsmith score.