main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Hasn't the Saga Been Concluded?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Garrett Atkins, Apr 17, 2013.

1. Darth Loocas

Darth Loocas Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 14, 2013
    the highest canon! everything gets uncanon & retconned to match the saga...that was the best & simplest way to put it & saved me "a year typing"!!! lol

darklordoftech likes this.
  2. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I wonder how the ending to Episode 9 can beat the ending to Episode 6, with Vader's last-minute redemption and self-sacrifice, fulfilling the prophecy, toppling the Empire, and saving his son.

3. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    You took the words out of my mouth!

4. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    I agree. I am excited by the prospect of new movies, but I do think that these movies run the risk of feeling like something that was just tacked on to the end of the saga.

We'll have to wait and see, a lot will depend on the story

5. Carbon1985

Carbon1985 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 23, 2013
    This is the beauty of the ST is we will all walk into the theater not knowing what to expect, compared to the PT where you knew what to expect as you were just waiting for it to happen. I like for the first time since 1983 I will walk into a SW movie and have no idea what direction the saga is going.

6. Darth Loocas

Jun 14, 2013
    yes and imagine how disappointed u will be walking out the theatre!

just like indy 4-which i wasnt excited about at all cuz i was sure it would turn out rubbish.which it did.

we better hope these wont. which again im positive they will...because the whole idea of making them is wrong from top to bottom.

7. Darth Loocas

Jun 14, 2013
    absolutely, & it can't!

8. Carbon1985

Apr 23, 2013
    First of all, Indiana Jones movies are standalone movies like James Bond movies so each sequel isn't made with a bigger story in mind. And I have to say you ST bashers sound liked the PT bashers, except they waited for the movies to come out and bash them, you guys are just mad your 'Tragedy of Darth Vader' arc is gone because there is 9 movies now. Oh well, I'm looking forward to the ST but I guess I will have now deal with ST bashers for the next few years....

9. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Exactly.

(That's why I think the ST has to have something to do with Plagueis, though that's another thread :p But even with him, it's hard to see how the Throne Room scenes in ROTJ can possibly be topped)

And not even the Throne Room scenes... there's also the montage of worlds around the galaxy celebrating freedom, Luke reuniting happily with everyone else (all of his friends alive, none of them died), and Anakin's Force Ghost joining Yoda's and Obi-wan's to happily look on.

Darth Loocas and darklordoftech like this.
  10. Carbon1985

Apr 23, 2013
    But Lucas changed the montage ending of ROTJ in 1997 & 2004 to fit with the PT, why don't you think he would make more changes to the PT/OT now to fit the ST?

11. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Yes, I think the Saga was concluded with Episode VI, they have started a new Trilogy, called Episode VII, as Episode I.

12. Slash78

Slash78 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2004

And I for one vote for the return of Yub Nub!

V-2 and Carbon1985 like this.
  13. themetresgained

themetresgained Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2013
    Excellent point.

14. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Or he can be in the somewhere in between. Gray Side if you will.
    I'm thinking something along the lines of Cade Skywalker from the Legacy comics.
    He wasn't evil but he most certainly was not the model beacon of light that Luke was.

15. Darth Loocas

Jun 14, 2013
    i for one never bashed PT,because i loved the idea of a GODFATHEResque approach of telling us vadr's story.
    so no i never bashed PT.although i thought EpI wasn't that good.

but the case with ST is different ,there are like 1000 books on the new jedi order and are canon.what r they gonna add.and there is the issue of topping VI which im not the only one talking about it as u see.
    plus u have to get why i used indy as an example,it was for the idea of making it being wrong which it did turn out wrong. thats it.

16. Darth Loocas

Jun 14, 2013
    and plus if u listen to any director making any kind of movie they are always sort of obssesed with making the next part bigger & better ,topping the last one. doent matter if they are stand alones as u say or a continuation of each other...

17. Joe

Joe Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 25, 2012
    I always viewed the 'Saga' as two stories loosely connected anyways. I-III is about the fall of Anakin Skywalker and the Republic. It focuses on greed, corruption, and the effects of power on people. IV-VI is about Luke Skywalker and his quest to fulfill his destiny and stop a tyrannical Empire. It's centered around the ideas of hope, destiny, and faith. The two trilogies only are really connected because characters, events, and concepts carry over from the PT to the OT. Sure, Vader is redeemed in VI, but you can hardly say that Vader's redemption was the primary idea behind the OT. If the ST starts up an entire new plotline while only carrying over characters, ideas, and concepts from the OT and PT, it will fit in just fine because the Saga has always been two trilogies at heart

Darth Loocas and Carbon1985 like this.
  18. Darth Loocas

Jun 14, 2013
    yes,& i was always wondering who are the main characters? will the movies have cameos of the grand master (mark hamil) or ford?
    or is it just about their sons & daughters. they were connected cuz as u say we saw luke & leia being born we saw vader's story.
    but ST ...idk...seeing all new characters will cause us not to feel any connection to the movie,maybe if the screenplay & the character developments are superb..maybe then...again im not sure at all about ST

19. Carbon1985

Apr 23, 2013
    It will probably be the same as the PT, except the generation AFTER. The PT had a young Anakin Skywalker, Padme and Ben as the 'Big 3', whereas the OT 'Big 3' were Luke, Leia, and Han, whereas the ST 'Big 3' will probably be the Skywalker kids. That is where I just don't understand everyone up in arms that the ST will not connect to the PT/OT, because Lucas shoehorned the PT story AFTER he wrote the OT and it worked out fine for alot of us. You and I both know the OT story was NEVER about 'The Tragedy of Darth Vader', heck he is only in ANH for about 15 minutes! Lucas didn't start talking about the Darth Vader arc until the early 90's when he decided to do the PT, and don't be naive to think he won't have another arc that will tie the PT/OT/ST in, and we will all look back and realize he never had that in mind when he was writing the OT and then the PT.

That is where fans like you are not looking at your SW history, Lucas has ALWAYS changed the overall story to fit the newest movie he was writing. The 1977 SW was just a simple good vs evil story and Darth Vader, Luke and Leia were never related, but by 1983, that OVERALL story had change to fit the Star Wars Trilogy, just like the OVERALL story changed to fit the Star Wars Saga which is now the PT and OT. When it is all said and done, there will be some new OVERALL story that many will see as the Star Wars Saga of the PT/OT/ST.

But like all SW fandom, there will be some that only see it as Star Wars 1977, or the OOT, or the PT/OT-SE, or now the PT/OT/ST. Lucas has been doing this since 1977 and I'm suprised to hear many say, "The story is done, what else can he do?" Trust me, I was there in 1977, and I said the same thing when they announced the first sequel. But I'm still here 36 years later.....:);)

Darth Loocas likes this.
  20. Darth Loocas

Jun 14, 2013
    i like your post,to tell u the truth the thing that im most angry about is lucas/disney thing...hell, is he dying or something?why is disney "the heir"? actually i love GL,(my screen name says so too) i dont like disney making dicisions for star wars...plus i wont have a problem with ST if i was 100% sure that he had the plot in his hand wirtings from the 70s & the 80s and will be the producer and the main cosultant of ST no one but GL should dicide things for THE SAGA,let alone mickey mouse!
    thats my problem.

21. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I could NOT DISagree more! The PT is about that Tyrannical Empire coming into power and why Luke had to do what he did!

22. Carbon1985

Apr 23, 2013
    Welcome to the world of angry SW fans, because Lucas has been doing this to his fanbase since 1980. ;) I know many friends of my older brother who STILL don't recognize that Darth Vader is Luke's father, and stopped watching the movies when ESB came out.

I grew up with the OOT and DID NOT want the PT when it was announced, as I sounded just like you that the story was over and we didn't need anymore movies. Many of my friends convinced me to go to the PT movies, but no one could replace Luke, Leia and Han to me. :)

But as time when on I realized that the PT story made the OT story grander, and I started to look outside my OOT goggles and enjoyed more SW movies. Now the PT is no where as good as the OT in my eyes, but now I have 6 SW movies to watch instead of 3. In about 5-6 years I will have 9 SW movies to watch instead of 6.

What the PT made me realize is HOW much I love the SW universe, and even a 'pretty good' or 'average' SW movie works for me in replay value because it is part of the larger story. I keep thinking about now I may actually see a death scene to Luke, Leia and Han on screen, and how that will make me re-examine the OT movies when I see them in their prime on screen.

I have been saying to my friends since the PT was announced in 1994 that nothing will equal the OT, IMO, as that was just a phenomenon where everything went right: The characters, the story, the humor, the drama, and would never be duplicated if Lucas made a PT or ST. But if you temper your expectations and 'unlearn what you have learned' there is a grander story then the one you see now, and that's what makes it different then any other movie series. SW is its own universe, and so in a sense its its own history book. Just like the world we live in, history never stops.

23. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I want to point out that "Tragedy of Darth Vader" and "Adventures of Luke Skywalker" can both be in the same Saga.

V-2 likes this.
  24. Joe

Joe Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 25, 2012
    True, but that just means IV-VI follows up on events from I-III. When it comes to the main focus of the films, the two are completely separate. They take place in the same universe, but they are different stories. It's kind of like how Thor led into The Avengers in the MCU. Both Thor and Loki pops up as a main character in The Avengers and the plot of Avengers does directly stem from Thor's plot, but the tales the two films are telling are different.

I'm merely saying that the PT and OT do have different focuses, and they function as two distinct trilogies. Each has their own plot, characters, events, and climax/finale which wraps up the story nicely.

25. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Because he doesn't own the OT or PT anymore. Obvious answer. It could be that Kennedy decides to do something with the older movies but she strikes me as a pretty intelligent person. Hopefully there will only be cosmetic changes and if we're lucky some things will be changed back (Han shot first, Vader no, etc...).

Darth Loocas likes this.