main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Hate Remarks Towards Lucas Concerns

Discussion in 'Communications' started by bjbrickm, Nov 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rebel Scumb

Rebel Scumb Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 22, 1999
    "So to you, a fan forum is intended to be a place where fans are banned, and detractors get diplomatic immunity?"

Just another example of a gusher jumping a ridiculous conclusion just to make Bashers look bad.

Well the detractors are fans, so I can't really seperate the two.

2. AgentCoop

AgentCoop Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 16, 2002
    "If I can't post in that thread as a TPM fan, then why is it in my fan forum?"

The fact that you can't post in that thread has nothing to do with your status as a TPM fan and everything to do with the way in which you conduct yourself. Rebel Scumb is a TPM fan, and is also a Basher's Sanctuary regular. Why? Because he's a pleasant fellow who enjoys what is in reality little more than a social thread.

3. JediGaladriel

JediGaladriel Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 3, 1999
    "I'd stick to the "Classic" forum and discuss what I like rather than discussing what I don't like."

But why? If you like it, how long could you really talk about it. We all know what is great about the OT. There's nothing new.

I find new stuff to talk about in the prequels all the time, and about the Classic. Right now on another board, we're having a lovely discussion about the meaning and significance of the phrase on Vader's chestplate, and who might have put it there, and what it implies. We've analyzed Hayden Christensen's performance. Even here, before I gave up on the movie forums, there was a wonderful talk about images of people ascending and descending throughout the saga. Those are things you can't have a conversation about if you're certain that the movies in question are worthless.

BTW, I categorically disagree with the popular sentiment that public figures should be ready for personal criticism on matters unrelated to their careers. That's a huge problem in society in general which I'd like to solve--I mean, what's the incentive for success if success means that you're going to be dragged through the mud at every opportunity? So I don't just object to it here; I object to it everywhere. People, even public figures, should be allowed to have their private lives.

4. Rebel Scumb

Feb 22, 1999
    "THE BS sanctuary is akin to going to a Barney The Dinosaur forum and making a thread that does nothing but rip on the dinosaur."

Actually its akin to being a fanof Barney and not liking a specific episode(s)

"If you guys are so freaking mature, why can't you take opposing views? What the hell are yo doing on the Internet in the first place?"

We can, I've already made that abundantly clear. Its the gushers who won't accept anything short of SW is perfect.

"Why am I forced to defend my right to stick up for a film I love in the very forum set aside for it's fans?"

Guess what, your not. In fact I would prefer you didn't. Nobody is forcing you to do anything.

I've never felt the need to defend ROTJ ot B_S or CeeJay. And i love ROTJ.

5. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    I stand by my assertion that the "bashers sanctuary" is inherrently a troll thread.

If it was about being a SW fan and just not liking certain episodes, then why go to a TPM forum as a TPM "basher"?

If this was just the SW forum, then I could see your point, but your negativity is seeking out the TPM fan forum specifically.

6. Rebel Scumb

Feb 22, 1999
    "Those are things you can't have a conversation about if you're certain that the movies in question are worthless."

Agreed, but I don't think anyone has said any of the movies are worthless. At the very Least I know I haven't.

7. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    It is not a troll thread. It is a thread that allows for a particular kind of opinion to be expressed without fear of outside opinions coming in and bashing them (which would be trolling).

No way at all it is a troll thread. It does not bother any other threads, nor does it bother anyone who does not wish to go in them.

8. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Then heed the #1 rule of dealing with trolls...
      Don't feed them.
    Problem solved.

9. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    It's a freaking troll thread!

10. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    Could you list some counter-points to what I said besides, "it's a freakin' troll thread."

11. Rebel Scumb

Feb 22, 1999
    "People, even public figures, should be allowed to have their private lives."

In what way are we disrupting GLs private life? Do you think he really cares what goes on here, I give him more credit then that.

12. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Go-Mer...
    "If it was about being a SW fan and just not liking certain episodes, then why go to a TPM forum as a TPM "basher"?"

Because of operational issues. That is the way this forum is set up. There is no umbrella "Star Wars Movie Forum," which deals with only all of the Star Wars movies as a whole, where a single PT episode can be criticised alongside a thread where RotJ can be praised. What you're suggesting is something like the OT Forum, but includes all movies. That simply isn't the way the Administrators of this site have set things up.

The forums for PT movie discussions have been broken up per episode.

Therefore, The Phantom Menace forum is the place where discussion of the Phantom Menace should take place. Or specifically, the official description of the TPM forum is:
      The Phantom Menace - Reactions, Thoughts, and Discussion of the Beginning Chapter to the Star Wars Saga.

13. Rebel Scumb

Feb 22, 1999
    "If it was about being a SW fan and just not liking certain episodes, then why go to a TPM forum as a TPM "basher"? "

Nobody tries to be a basher, as I said most people came here as gushers.

I went to the TPM forum because I didn't like AOTC, and I was brutlaized for this in the AOTC forum where before the release I was known as a big gusher. I found solice in a thread , which happened to be called the BS and happened to be in the TPM forum, where and what are irrelevant.

I'm treated with respect there, even though I really like TPM, infact when I didn't post for a week people were actually wondering where I was. I can point out what I don't like about AOTC there, with out being personally insulted, even though a lot of the people in the BS, (ie CeeJay) really loved AOTC.

14. anidanami124

anidanami124 Jedi Master star 6

Aug 24, 2002
    I did not even know there could be "a freakin' troll thread." Posts yes but threads. That seems a little hard to come by. KW asked but I to would like to know what makes the BS thread a troll thread. Because if it is a troll thread then that means that the defens forec thread for both AOTC, TPM, and those who have there own threads for there own reasons are all troll threads. Which would mean they should all be locked.

15. Rebel Scumb

Feb 22, 1999
    "Could you list some counter-points to what I said besides, "it's a freakin' troll thread."

I assume knightrider that your starting to see why its not easy expressing a critical view in the boards?

This is the type of counter arguement that is offered to us.

I'm continually told to prove things. That the editting in AOTC is bad. That the script is poorly written. I went so afar as to spend an hour annotating the script just show my points, and the rebutal was "well thats only you opinion"

16. Rebel Scumb

Feb 22, 1999
    "I did not even know there could be "a freakin' troll thread." Posts yes but threads. That seems a little hard to come by. KW asked but I to would like to know what makes the BS thread a troll thread. Because if it is a troll thread then that means that the defens forec thread for both AOTC, TPM, and those who have there own threads for there own reasons are all troll threads. Which would mean they should all be locked."

Good post.

17. AgentCoop

Feb 16, 2002
    "If it was about being a SW fan and just not liking certain episodes, then why go to a TPM forum as a TPM "bahser"?

If this was the SW forum, then I could see your point, but your negativity is seeking out the TPM fan forum specifically."

Then allow me to clear up your confusion. I came here for the same reason we all did: To talk about "Star Wars". ALL of it, the good and the bad, the highs and the lows. In my first few naive posts here, I expressed my disappointment with TPM under the false assumption that doing so was no big deal. I promptly had the "BASHER" label flung upon me. I had never heard this term. I did not stand on a mountaintop, recite a sacred oath and declare myself a "basher". No, I had that scarlet letter pinned to my breast by people who read a few dozen words that I had typed and decided to define me by my opinion. An opinion, mind you, that has nothing to do with hate, spite or negativity. It merely had to do with disappointment.

The only thing that kept me coming back to a place that had made me feel decidedly un-welcome was the realization that I was not the only one. There were others like me, and they were willing to discuss the topic civilly. I have loved "Star Wars" since 1977, and to me the only possible response that a thinking person could have to the disappointment I felt is to discuss it. I don't know why that's so abhorrent to you, or why the Sanctuary is such a thorn in your side. No one makes you read it.

18. anidanami124

Aug 24, 2002
    Hey I just read what Gomer said. I also saw no where in the TOS that there are troll threads. On less I'm missing something.

19. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    When you go to a TPM fan forum and expect to be able to rip it to shreds without opposition, then to me that is trolling.

Again why can't there be a whole forum set aside for negativitst of all the films?

There shouldn't be a Bahsers sanctuary at all.

There shouldn't have to be a defense force thread.

People who have problems with TPM should feel free to post in the TPM forum, as long as they understand they will be debated.

20. Rebel Scumb

Feb 22, 1999
    "Then allow me to clear up your confusion. I came here for the same reason we all did: To talk about "Star Wars". ALL of it, the good and the bad, the highs and the lows. In my first few naive posts here, I expressed my disappointment with TPM under the false assumption that doing so was no big deal. I promptly had the "BASHER" label flung upon me. I had never heard this term. I did not stand on a mountaintop, recite a sacred oath and declare myself a "basher". No, I had that scarlet letter pinned to my breast by people who read a few dozen words that I had typed and decided to define me by my opinion. An opinion, mind you, that has nothing to do with hate, spite or negativity. It merely had to do with disappointment"

Exactly my expirence only I felt even more insulted because I had put 3+ years into this forum and now a bunch of wet behind the ears newbies who all signed up in May '02 were exiling me.

I've gone from being someone who people were lobbying to be a mod, to one of the top 5 most hated people in the TF.n Forum, or so I'm told anyways.

21. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    When you go to a TPM fan forum and expect to be able to rip it to shreds without opposition, then to me that is trolling.

You can see your error above. It is the Basher's Sanctuary thread, not forum. It pertains to a single thread, and no one is obligated to enter that thread, and that thread does not disrupt any other threads in the forum.

How can it be a troll thread if it is a single thread, and the people who post in it are generally of similar opinions?

22. anidanami124

Aug 24, 2002
    But Gomer if we locked the BS thread then the AOTC, TPM, Defenders of the A/P lovs story, etc, etc, should be locked because they are all troll threads then.

23. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    You guys lable yourselves by calling yourselves "bashers".

I go out of my way to not use that term, but you guys are hanging in a thread for "bahsers", so what exactly do you expect?

24. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Here's the deal about the basher sanctuary. Ultimately, the gushers have the power to shut down any thread in the AOTC forum they dislike. How do they do that, you ask. Well, what they do is they go in and post a comment about how bashers don't belong in the AOTC forum...and naturally that starts a flame war. Believe me, it happens the same way every time. Then a mod comes along and shuts it down. Instant gusher victory (although sometimes it takes a few hours or a few days). Say this in a Yoda voice: basher posts lead to ad hominem attacks. Ad hominem attacks lead to angry responses. And angry responses lead to threads getting locked.

The basher sanctuary is the one basher thread that gushers don't have the power to shut down through those standard tactics. Obviously it irks some gushers to no end that they can't go in there and get everybody angry and then run off and complain to the mods that the thread has become a flame fest.

25. AgentCoop

Feb 16, 2002
    "People who have problems with TPM should feel free to post in the TPM forum, as long as they understand they will be debated."

Most of us do. Click on my profile and look at how many different places I post. Do I post in the Basher's Sanctuary a lot? Yes. Because it's where I know I'll find most of the people who I consider friends on this board. When I want to debate, I post outside of the Sanctuary. When I want to have a non-confrontational conversation, I do so within it's confines. That's the purpose it serves. And as Rebel Scumb so rightly pointed out, we haven't talked about TPM in weeks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.