main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Hatred of droids in the prequels.

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by CodyMonKenobi, Oct 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CodyMonKenobi

CodyMonKenobi Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2001
    I was just watching my new SW DVD :D , and it was the first time I had watched the OT in a very long time. I remebered that 3po and r2 were thrown out of the cantina. I remeber wondering along time ago why they hated droids, but as I watched it for the first time it made sense to me. The droids were with the the CIS, and it was because of the CIS that the clone wars were started, out of the clone wars came the Empire. This was probably comman knowledge to anyone but I just relized it and thought I would share my thoughts. If anyone would like to add to my theory or disprove it. feel free to.

2. diablos666

diablos666 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 28, 2004
    That's a good point actually. Though I did also think droids weren't allowed in cantinas because they don't drink!

3. Panakas_Dawg

Panakas_Dawg Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 29, 2004
    In AOTC, on the refugee ship, R2 is refused service.

I think it's got something to do with droids being there to wait on others and droids have no status to demand, or request, that someone wait on or serve them. That is, a droid can be owned and put to work but cannot own or put others to work.

But, I do see how this could have evolved from the TF's use of droids as an army in TPM.

4. rpeugh

rpeugh Force Ghost star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    That is a great point and if you look in the recent issue of the SW insider, the editors and SW experts agree with you. I like this explanation because it also explains why no sophisticated looking PT style droids exist in the OT such as droidekas. This has also eliminated my previous desire to have PT droids digitally added to the OT. Well, I never thought that Seperatist droids should be added to the OT, but I used to think that some of the peaceful little PT droids should be added, such as those ones on Tatooine, but I now think the general prejudice of droids by the time of the OT would keep even the peaceful sophisticated PT droids from being produced.

5. HandofSkywalker86

HandofSkywalker86 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 12, 2004
    I think it has something to do with Droids having no position in society. This is similair to a Japanese movie that Lucas says he based the Droids on. So IMO it makes the most sense.

However I can see that some of the hatred of droids may stem from the Clone War.

Hand

6. Ididitall4thewookie

Ididitall4thewookie Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 29, 2004
    I think its like not being able to bring your pets into a bar nowadays. They spend no money, but they take up space and get in the way. They are not needed there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.