main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    It's finally over 0 Celsius degrees here, and snow is ready to be formed into pieces of art.
    Does anyone have any ideas here? (No humanoids, because I can't do those, and only something that holds together, I'm a slave of gravity)

Here's a Hall of Fame. Every shot is taken from head-level.
    [​IMG]

(A completely unrelated note: In Crusader Kings II I'm currently waiting for the King of Sweden to die so I can usurp the title of Duke of Finland from his heir, who is married to my daughter. At the moment he's 86 years old, and just came back from another crusade. What is wrong with him?)

Barriss_Coffee and Ulicus like this.
  2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Trying to wrap my Southeastern US brain around getting enough snow to sculpture.

Those are nice looking, especially the one on the bottom left.

3. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Screw gravity.

[​IMG]

Use sticks.

Lugija likes this.
  4. tjace

tjace Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2008
    I recently discovered a show called Suits (it's a lawyer show) and have marathoned most of it. I'm also playing the last case of Phoenix Wright 3 (and since it seems like an epic finale, I'm not going to use gamefaqs at all like I did for some of the other cases)

5. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Suits may not be as good as my other favorite USA shows, Burn Notice and White Collar, but it is still pretty darn good. Its a shame the other USA law show I liked, Fairly Legal, got canceled recently.

6. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Seeing these pictures of snow is particularly weird for me given that a beach is a two minute walk away and we've had 14 days of February over 30 degrees Celsius, almost a record here.

7. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    What do you think kept that Deinonychus tail up long enough for a photo? Even then it was dreadful, dreadful I say!
    But all glory to the Snowman Creator of All!

Oh my sweet summer child.

8. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    The solution, as always, is to simply use a bigger stick. :p

9. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Before I knew a darn thing about the law, I quite liked Boston Legal. I wonder how it stands up now.

10. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Once you learn enough about a profession, any show involving that profession becomes either a comedy, a parody, or both.

Ris_jSarek and Ulicus like this.
  11. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    That doesn't just apply to professions. Pretty much any show that attempts to accurately cover a topic of depth fails. Usually miserably.

12. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    I don't know, Dexter is still pretty good.

13. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Wait your a Coroner? [face_plain]

14. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Anyone notice that nobody writes TV shows about librarians.

TrakNar likes this.
  15. AdmiralWesJanson

May 23, 2005
    I don't think so... [face_worried]

No, just a series of movies.

16. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Don’t remind me of there exstince, I think I really have never seen anything with so much potential sunk so badly.

17. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I liked the movies... :/

Oh, today, I went into town to the rescue mission for a desk chair on the cheap. I got my desk chair on the cheap, and I also got a vacuum. A working Dyson vacuum with all the trimmings. For $30.

And it had just been dropped off, too. Hot damn, I made off like a vandal.

18. AdmiralWesJanson

May 23, 2005
    Made off like a vandal? So you broke some things, spray painted a gand on the side of the building and ran?

TrakNar likes this.
  19. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    Nope, she founded a kingdom in North Africa.

20. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    So. Got a weird email from the building manager today. One of my building's entrances is going to be closed most of tomorrow, by order of the Secret Service.

21. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    I don't suppose you have any idea why?

22. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah, I have a couple guesses :p

23. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Clearly, they must look out for our grand admiral.

24. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Hopefully he's thoroughly studied their art.

Zeta1127 and TrakNar like this.
  25. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    You know, as an artist, to have someone thoroughly study my art in order to figure me out, that disturbs me a bit. And it irritates me to an extent. Particularly when people assign meaning to a picture which really has none. Some years ago, I painted a commissioned image for my local mental health agency and it is still on display at the building (and I look upon it and cringe, as I can paint it so much better now!), and when I had painted it, many people tried to assign meaning to it. The image depicted a monochrome mannequin unzipping their head, and smaller monochrome mannequins coming out of it. I chose that imagery for one reason: I thought the idea was cool.

Oh, the meanings psychologists and counselors like to attach to that piece! And then they ask me what it means, and I merely shrug and say that I painted it because I thought the idea was neat.

I'd love to see what Thrawn thinks of it. So I can tell him, "No, I simply painted it because I thought the idea would look cool."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.