main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    I don't disagree that AC was underrated, but I can't say I'd really call the assassinations open-ended. Certainly not in comparison to the kinds of targets we got in II and Brotherhood.

2. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
  3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah, I found the whole escape sequence thing really annoying and contrived.

4. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I've only played a little of AC1. It's fun. Still, I do love whoever made this fan trailer for AC3.

*language warning*

Ulicus likes this.
  5. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    The escapes are great. The whole city is on alert and you've got to make a getaway. It's a better way of putting the pressure on than the notoriety system or the weak "escape the area" requirements.

Trip and Ulicus like this.
  6. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Because I hate it when people post about what they ate on Facebook, I'm going to be a huge hypocrite here, instead! Mwahaha, they'll never know...

However, in the interests of those without interest in my banal nonsense, I'm going to hide it behind spoiler tags.
    I HAD THE MOST EPIC BREAKFAST. Well, fairly standard TBH, but I've not made myself a full fry-up in aaaaaaaaggggggggeeeees, and now I'm wondering why I don't do it every day. There was egg (x 2), and bacon (x 3), and sausage (x2), and (muggle) mushrooms (x 6) -- I don't even like mushrooms, but they were awesome today -- and beans (x lost count), and toast (x 2) and, finally, a GIGANTIC MUG (yes, MUG) OF TEA.

And then, as if that weren't English enough -- and it really was -- I ate it while watching repeats of QI. :-B(Which is its own kind of Fry-up).

Today is a good day.

7. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    ....muggle shrooms?

8. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    From Ulipedia:

"In the Expanded Uliverse, a muggle mushroom is a mushroom which lacks any sort of magical ability."

krtmd, RC-1991 and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  9. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    I prefer this one. Almost scary how well it matches up.

10. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    But that's missing the awesome synch up with the eagle at the beginning, and another part or two.

For real, though, I honestly referred to the game as American Creed for the longest time. Still kinda do. :p

11. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    So no making you grow or giving you a 1UP. Got it.

Gorefiend and Ulicus like this.
  12. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Was so sad that you didn't play as a Loyalist in that game. Maybe that's why I could never finish it. I am so tired of playing dirty, stinky, smelly rebels in every single game because of this mass societal psychosis that insists that every single person is a special flower and shouldn't listen to anybody ever and shouldn't have a shred of personal responsibility but instead do whatever lies in their selfishness. Moreover, this selfishmess tends to harm others and society as a whole... but whatever, all that matters is the individual! In conclusion, **** Jefferson.

<---- totally not bitter about the fall of the Roman Empire, the American Revolution, the end of the Galactic Empire or anything else...

13. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    I've been hankering for a full English breakfast since the last time I was in Britain.

14. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Now, the remark about their hygiene is totally uncalled for.

Though I guess it makes sense that they'd smell bad, if only people at the top of the chain can be special flowers.

15. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    You're uncalled for.

There, try to cope with my devastatingly witty riposte.

16. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    I'll find a way to cope.

[​IMG]

17. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    First Toy Story 3, now A Very Potter Senior Year. Are my tears and feelings being used in some sort of weird experiment?

Well, I don't think there's anything else that can make me... the last Artemis Fowl novel is smiling at me.

18. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Artemis Fowl has been something I've been considered looking into for awhile now. Lugija, if you'd like, sell me.

19. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    Who do you want to be sold to?

Okay, some points:

1) The first novel reads like a fast-paced action film in novel-form. It can be read as a stand-alone. Starting from the second novel the relationships between the main characters are explored more.

2) Characters are intelligent. The main character is a 12-year old criminal genius who has forged paintings, made computer programs to do all kinds of illegal stuff and on leisure time composed an opera. There is character growth later in the series but in the first one he is pretty much Thrawn from TTT. That is not to say that the author has him to magically know everything and win by having his opponents be idiots, they also think things out. And point out cliches in other people's words. "Over your dead body? That's old, and you are just begging for it by saying that"

3) Our fantasy creatures are different (as TV-Tropes would put it): After a war between humans and the fairy folk in the ancient times, the seven species of fairies had to move underground to live in secret. These species include elves (from Irish legends), centaurs, goblins (who can make fireballs and look like reptiles) and dwarves who can literally eat through the ground and use different body excretions to build large spaces underground (yes, this is a source of a lot of humor). The fairies use both magic and high-tech technology, and have ancient magical rules which they have to follow (like not going to human houses without permission in the pain of being sick and in the long run losing their magic).

instantdeath likes this.
  20. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
  21. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Who would put jello in a wine glass?

Sophisticates, that's who.

22. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    I'd think a brandy snifter would be more appropriate for that. Or a parfait glass.

23. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Definitely not a snifter -- the bulb narrows at the lip, so you wouldn't be able to get anything out of it.

Alas, neither were available on HBO's program :p

24. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    instantdeath, CooperTFN and krtmd like this.
  25. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Just got back from Book of Mormon.
    Surprising amount of Star Wars characters.
    That is all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.