main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    The worst part is that these parents are just parading their ignorance around for the entire rest of their lives.

2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Well, I would never ever name my kid after a fictional character.

That's why I'm naming my future daughter Athena. :p

3. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    I doubt all of them are naming their children Khaleesi under the mistaken belief that that's the characters name (though I'm sure an uncomfortably large amount of them are). It's got a ring to it in a way many fictional names simply don't in the context of the real world (I still can't believe what some people are naming their children these days), and I imagine is slightly easier pronounced than Daenerys.

That said, if I'm remembering my ASOIAF right (hard to believe it's been almost two years since I last read the series), the name raises some unfortunate implications... doesn't Khaleesi literally translate to "wife of the Khal"? Not a very loving gesture, to essentially call your daughter a trophy.

4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah, if you look at the Dothraki declension tables, khaleesi doesn't have the normal nominative ending of a female sky (animate) noun -- instead, it has a genitive ending -- so it's basically a possessive word.

5. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    But it sounds pretty. [face_talk_hand]

6. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    Will be interesting when they tell their daughters who they were named after.
    "It's this character from that TV show and novels... no don't watch it!"

I think that if I ever had an offspring I would just take a short popular name that no one in my immediate family already had.
    (In games I give names that mean something to me, that's why my first characters in CKII had children named Leia, Daenerys, [my own name](later assassinated by me so his son could inherit), Suuramiraali Hillo (killed as a baby), Sansa, Arya, Hermione, Minerva, Palpatine (died as a baby), Ginny, Cho, Padme, Barriss and Gilderoy).

7. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I have a second cousin -- about five or so years old -- named Arya. :p

8. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Which character did you choose, Coop? I'm due a baby in November so the discussion about fictional character names may have came up ;)

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  9. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Because I have absolutely no respect for boundaries, I'll answer for him. Barriss.

I won't presume, however, to post that awesome picture of Barriss. I won't take that away from him.

CooperTFN and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  10. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    You can name your child after me. I'll allow it. :)

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  11. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    It's better than someone who thought her name was 'Kelly C'. No, seriously.

12. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Kelly C and Carl Drogo -- best celeb couple ever.

Ulicus , CooperTFN, ma_petite and 3 others like this.
  13. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Aw congrats Sinre!!![:D]

14. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    CONGRATS!

Your life will change greatly in a very cool way - or so it appears from those friends who have become parents in the last year or so!

15. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I'll suggest it to the wife ;)

Thank you Barriss, Ben :)

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  16. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    If you insist.

[​IMG]

Barriss_Coffee and ma_petite like this.
  17. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    Aww. The cat that lives here has spent her days as flat as possible ever since the heat wave started. On the nights she's a murderess, on the days a carpet.

18. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    That's pretty normal for cats. Thankfully two of mine stay outside at night and come in during the day to sleep. I may boot the third one out at night soon as well. At night he runs down the stairs, runs back up then stands at the top and meows at...something. The Ghosts of Mice Past? Visions from a bad catnip trip? Dunno.

Anyway, congrats Sinre. :)

Sinrebirth likes this.
  19. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    So had to think of this ;)
    [​IMG]

And Congrats Sinrebirth :)

Barriss_Coffee and CooperTFN like this.
  20. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
  21. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    That one popped up on my Facebook feed lately along with this one:

Two guys walked into a bar. One ordered H2O, the other said "I'll have H2O too." The second one promptly died.

CooperTFN, Ulicus and blackmyron like this.
  22. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah, I've been seeing that one a lot lately. It was posted on a joke list on buzzfeed or something, right? Everybody on facebook has been posting that one on my wall, heh.

Sinrebirth Also, November, wow! Seems like just yesterday you'd put up the announcement on fb. Do you know the gender yet?

23. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    My favorite will always be the (badly performed) one from the Upright Citizens Brigade:

"A man walks into a bar. And splits his head open. On it."

And Venture Brothers had the funniest misunderstanding about Game of Thrones ever in its season premiere.

24. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    We'll know the gender on July 4th! Unless the baby crosses its legs!

25. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    New idea. Name your baby FREEDOM, or LIBERTY, or AMERICA **** YEAH!

All caps are essential.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.