main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Yeah, that was one reason I was considering trying Days of Ruin first, because I had heard it was an entirely new continuity. I figured if I enjoyed it, I could go back and try the rest of the series. I'd really like to play the GBA games, but I think they're ridiculously expensive, plus I'm not sure the DS lite even plays GBA games any more (I really hate this death of backwards compatibility thing we're going through).

2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Ahh, yeah for some reason old console games are hideously hard to find. Well, there are other ways around that problem but anyway....

Problem is DoR just adds a lot of new features that going backwards will be frustrating. And since it'll be your first experience, there's always that tendency to like what you see first and think of different things as problematic.

3. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Yikes, good question. I haven't tried it on my most recent computer.

But I see the ever-reliable gog.com has the game for 5.99, including the Alien Crossfire expansion!

4. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I don't care for Mumford and Sons, I prefer Nickelback and Hinder, namely their softer stuff.

5. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
  6. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
  7. DarthCane

DarthCane Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2002

I used to have the Steel Panthers series on my system (both the WW2 and MBT versions). Found it a bit tedious, but it's a fairly simple 2D tank/infantry combat sim (although WW2 included the Saint-Nazaire raid).

http://www.shrapnelgames.com/Camo_Workshop/WW2/WW2_page.html

http://www.shrapnelgames.com/Camo_Workshop/MBT/MBT_page.html

8. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    Speaking of tanks, anyone here play World of Tanks?

http://worldoftanks.com/

A few guys from work got into this last year. I have yet to give this a crack myself...

9. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    I heard about World of Tanks when I believe Skywalker T-65 mentioned it some time ago, and would probably play it if I had a computer capable of handling it. This is my excuse for not playing most newer games, and even though I have an Xbox 360, I still haven't played many recent games on it either.

10. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    So, my friends and I have decided to start a Pathfinder group (one of them played it while studying abroad this past year). The friend who has experience with it asked me to GM, and I said sure. I am so excited/terrified/whatthehellamIdoingI'veneverRP'edbeforeoutsideofvideogames.

Ulicus and The Loyal Imperial like this.
  11. Bib Fartuna

Nov 4, 2012
  12. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Believe me, it's great fun. And Pathfinder is a good system - you have your work cut out for you.

13. Bib Fartuna

Nov 4, 2012
  14. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Geez, I hate Nickleback with a fiery passion.

15. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    *puts on hipster hat

Yeah, the way some people on this forum react when the name "Troy Denning" is even whispered... that's how I am with bands like Nickelback (though my personal Triad of Evil would have to be Maroon 5, brokeNCYDE and Nicki Minaj). I've lightened up considerably in the past few years, but considering music is my favorite art form, it's hard for me not to actually take personal offense at bands who not only seem proud to be nothing more than regurgitated corporate unit shifters, but actually regress the state of popular music with their infectious lack of creativity (in Nickelback's case, they and other post-grunge bands had what can only be described as a monopoly on most rock stations for a large portion of the 2000's; considering how trend-driven the radio is, there's a reason I can no longer stand to listen to it).

*tries to remove hipster hat, only to find it won't come off.

16. Bib Fartuna

Nov 4, 2012
    Maroon 5 lacks testosterone ... perhaps testicles as well. Why does the lead singer sound like a woman?

17. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    I don't particularly care what his voice sounds like, I'm more concerned with the infuriating autotune put on top of it. One thing I will give Maroon 5 is that their vocoder technique is something that's entirely unique to them. Which is a good thing, because it's just awful. People like Nicki Minaj and Ke$ha use more autotune, but somehow it doesn't sound nearly as bad as whatever it is Maroon 5 are doing. For the record, I'm not a hater of all things autotune. It can be used very effectively, most often in electronica, but it's almost always used badly.

Also, I'm not exaggerating in the least when I say a bright kindergardener could probably write more interesting songs. The musicians of that band are glorified stage props.

Bib Fartuna likes this.
  18. Bib Fartuna

Nov 4, 2012
    For a long while, I thought her name was Minj:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Minj

19. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    Stuff like Far Away, Savin' Me, I'd Come For You, Never Gonna Be Alone, If Today Was Your Last Day, When We Stand Together, Lullaby, and Trying Not To Love You are why I like Nickelback.

I can't stand Maroon 5, Adam Levine couldn't sing if his life depended on it.

20. Bib Fartuna

Nov 4, 2012
    Ahhh... Ghostbusters quotes definitely apply here! Substitute Adam Levine for Walter Peck, and behold the truth!

Dr Ray Stantz: Everything was fine with our system until the power grid was shut off by pantless here.
    Walter Peck: They caused an explosion!
    Mayor: Is this true?
    Dr. Peter Venkman: Yes it's true.
    [pause]
    Dr. Peter Venkman: This man has no pants

21. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Just imagine D&D, only a thousand times better.

22. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    To purge Nickelback from your minds, try this:

23. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    You kids with your new bands and loud rock music.

The last new album I bought was Neko Case's Middle Cyclone.

instantdeath likes this.
  24. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    This conversation is lowering my opinion of pretty much everyone.

Ulicus likes this.
  25. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    At least that means you know what's going on. I am completely bewildered by the topic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.