main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    X-Wing games: Stimsenj'kat and Renhoek.

Movies: Blade Runner and Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai.

2. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    If ID hasn't watched Ren & Stimpy... then I will kidnap him, drag his unconscious body back to my apartment, duct tape him to the couch, and force him to watch eleven DVDs worth of funny cartoons.

The first and second seasons are mandatory. If you watch any Ren & Stimpy, you must watch the John K. seasons.

krtmd and blackmyron like this.
  3. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
  4. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    Ackbar is a player.

5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Don't worry Luke, there are other fish in the sea.

...problem is, Ackbar swims with a whole school of fish.

6. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    That actually does look very cool. One doesn't need to like TOR to enjoy the prospect of a PVP starfighter system. I plan to check it out at some point.

7. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    instantdeath likes this.
  8. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    While the whole concept of pre-ordering games has never made sense to me (I'd quote South Park if it wouldn't get me banned), if it means getting the game for a cheaper price I'm all for it.

9. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    It's not looking good for any sort of resolution or romance for Jeff Annie on Community in season 5 :(

10. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

I tend to agree, but this is one of a few games I do actually want to play on release.

11. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    to be fair experiencing TOR firsthand would take a crazy amount of time investment for someone who isn't really into even the idea of it.

anyway i think i'm prob even less well-versed in eighties movies than instantdeath, so there.

12. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I didn't click the link until yesterday evening but I had no idea that it was official rather than fan made. This becomes a thousand times cooler. I got into SWG's starfighter thing pretty late but I still replay TIE Fighter every single year so I'm very much looking forward to flying a TIE again. That was my big thing about TOR -- the starship combat is on rails but the bigger problem is that I hate the ships. But TIEs? And good guys using green lasers again? YAY

And if they have Cygnus craft like the Assault a Gunboat? I'd swoon with patriotic glee.

The Loyal Imperial likes this.
  13. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999

[​IMG]

14. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Very true. Which is exactly why they need to just make a "story" version; so people who don't have near-infinite amount of time to dedicate towards doing fetch quests can still get the story of what happens, considering for a time they were billing the game as "KOTOR 3, 4 and 5". I really enjoy the stories I've played, but dammit, I am not killing another Tusken raider.

Of course, one could just get a subscription, grind space missions until you've horded enough experience to get through the game without having to do a damned fetch quest, but the fact that I even have to suggest that as an option really says something.

tjace and Gorefiend like this.
  15. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    [​IMG]

16. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I hate you. I hope the Hutts all go extinct from intestinal parasites.

17. AdmiralWesJanson

May 23, 2005
    Don't make me destroy you.

It would be an incredible waste to have 4 seasons of buildup of a fan-preferred couple, and have nothing come of it.

18. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Wishing mass genocide based on grievances with one advocate of that species? How very Imperial of you O:)

Gorefiend likes this.
  19. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    You on Season 4:
    [face_whistling]

20. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    The new Galactic Starfighter grants XP, so if you're into that you can just play that at the start of each new planet to get to the back end of its level range. There's xp boost stuff in the cartel market and double xp weekends and blah blah blah but that's basically my plan to do every story, invest in certain xp boosts to level up since I've mostly done all the side quests for both factions.

The game has the f2p so you can download it and spend a few hours trying the first planet to see if it is something you would be interested in. If you're purely in it for story there's also YouTube but I personally find that less engaging and difficult to follow absent the gameplay.

21. AdmiralWesJanson

May 23, 2005
    Well, it was making good progress in the start of season 4, then one of the writers came along and basically told the Jeff/Annie fans we were wrong to see the romance, we were misinterpreting everything, and that we were "pathological." That's what most of the posts you quoted were referring to, that little dustup.

The pathological comment may be right in my case, though, as I have invested a lot into the pairing to distract from some of my own issues.

I stand by the comment about "mocking Jeff/Annie fans". For a season 5 that is going to be "less focused on romance," somehow Abed has two different romantic interests in 13 episodes.

I tend to use this thread to grumble to myself in amongst all the Roman History debates and GoT discussions.

22. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    DigitalMessiah

Oh, I've played quite a bit of TOR- level 50 Jedi Knight, level 30ish Agent- and I actually really like parts of the game, and actually feel it's treated unfairly at times. The agent story in particular is very engaging. It's just that, like most MMO's, it feels like you have to wade through so much filler to get to the good stuff, plus I have a natural aversion to anything that gives me the impression that it's trying to aggressively waste my time, which sums up 95% of MMO's in general (100% of the ones I've played, but for all I know there is one or two out there. Haven't tried Guild Wars 2).

This new expansion actually might get me back into it, as it sounds like a really fun game on its own. If it serves as an effective alternative to side quests (I don't care for general PVP), then that could be the answer for me.

And yeah, youtube let's plays aren't really of any interest to me. I'm still confused on why they've become so popular, particularly for choice based games. One of my favorite things about TOR is trying out the different dialogue options, so obviously that's missing from LP's.

Cynical_Ben likes this.
  23. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    The MMO model is to dangle the carrot for the monthly fee, although maybe that is changing with the F2P model. I think all of them have grinding to some degree engineered into them for that purpose.

I think the legacy xp perks in conjunction with space mission and starfighter PvP might be sufficient to subsidize leveling and allow someone to play through the story without doing the side quests. I'm hoping so at least.

24. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Fair enough, but speaking for myself, I would hate to tie my own peace of mind to what a bunch of writers thousands of miles away decided six months ago. I mean, look at Zeta.

25. AdmiralWesJanson

May 23, 2005
    It's not ideal, but there is a reason it's called escapism.

Zeta1127 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.